1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to sign Conroy, send Taylor to D-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt Maloney, Jan 27, 2010.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

looks like they just wanted to send down JT while the vipers have a lot of games coming up. get the most bang for your buck so to speak.

that meant that the rockets would be left with 1 less guard than they'd like to carry, for practice or for in-game insurance. so they sign the next best guy for 10 days. i'm sure once JT's stint with the vipers is over conroy will rejoin them.

2. PeppermintCandy

I think it's about getting playing time for Taylor and developing his game.

The Rockets sent Dorsey to the Vipers in the first half of the season and now Taylor in the second. It seems to be their MO for non-rotation rookies.

The added bonus is getting Conroy some time with the team in case a trade happens. But I don't expect Conroy to get any more minutes than Taylor and Dorsey did.

3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This could be a long shot but do you think this is being done to run Lowry as a PG and brooks as more of a SG role? This would give them a break somewhat and allow the team to play a faster game? Not to mention gives them trade flexibility.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Definitely that too, but there has to be some reason they picked Conroy -- you would have thought Harris would be next in line to get the call up since he was in earlier. I'm leaning towards the Rockets getting intel that someone else was going to scoop him up (since obviously the Vipers would know).

5. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

Brooks to the 2. Hopefully, Ariza to the bench. And it's about damn time.

6. PeppermintCandy

Possibly, but it also makes sense in terms of positional need. Harris can fill in at the 3 and 4 spots, and so was the best (and only?) choice when Budinger was injured and they needed insurance at the SF position.

Taylor is an SG and during his absence Conroy can provide help at the 1 and 2.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. We could have used him tonight.

8. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Umm...what about Louis Williams(23, 6'1 PG) & Jrue Holiday(19 yrs old, 6'4 PG)...

--RB

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

True enough, although Louis Williams has been grist for the rumor mill as well, given Philly's wanting to dump salary----I think Williams makes about $4 mil or so?

Jrue Holliday being a rookie, he's not ready.

Lowry is a likely request on the part of Philly. SOMEbody would have to go out with Tmac.

Not saying Conroy's call-up is a precursor to any trade. Could be time to get JT some clock. Funny enough, the way the Rockets are playing, he should just be thrown out there. I mean, what are we going to do if we play JT? Lose?

My suspicion is the trade thing, but that's probably just my dismay at watching the team lose its mental edge and lose, lose, lose. This trade deadline is hanging around their necks like a millstone, whether or not they admit it.

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

I liked Conroy alot during summer league and preseason. I was rooting for him instead of Pops to be the last player signed. I'm excited about this addition and for Conroy as a player.

11. Craftx5

Craftx5 Member

It would be a shame to see Lowry go already. He's young and has done really well the past could of games. I'd like to have Iggy though. (if that is the best we can get)

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

13. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

It's coming.

Thanks for the memories, Mr. Lowry. But it's a business.

14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

It makes no difference to the current rox no matter Taylor or Conroy stay here.
    WE NEED AN ALL STAR!!!!

15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Today was the first time where our lack of a third PG was really evident. For the most part Brooks/Lowry have been healthy and non-foul prone. But inevitably, as we saw tonight, one will get injured or get in foul trouble and you CANNOT have only 2 true guards on the team. Ideally, instead of a third PG, you would want a combo SG who can play some PG in limited stints, ala Brent Barry. Unfortunatley, we have no SGs either.

The move makes sens, for a number of reasons.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm going to laugh my butt off when it's Brooks that ends up being the one to go.

Morey is like a stock broker. He's gonna sell high with his PG that can get to the hoop with impugnity, because next year with Yao back that lane won't be so easy to drive, and our PG will become primary an outlet feeder for Yao once again. If only Lowry could improve his shot some more...

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Lowry is currently my favorite Rockets player.

But if he is included in a package for a player like Andre Iguodala, well, everyone has to make sacrafices. ;)

18. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I wouldnt exactly say that's a bad thing....

Maybe using a smaller lineup out of the gate with Lowry, Brooks, Ariza, Hayes, and Scola and then bring Conroy, Battier, Budd, Landry and Andersen off the bench. I know this takes our rotation to 10, but i'm all for lowering Battier's and Ariza's minutes.

Gotta mix it up to get something going in the right directions again... 4 outta the last 5 lost at home is starting to sound a bit depressing.

19. Shaud

Shaud Member

Every single time we call someone up or sign someone who is a 11th or 12th man a whole bunch of people on this board begins to speculate that someone is on the way out.

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kyle Lowry is 20x more effective with Yao in the game...

Morey has been harping on that since we got him...

#40 RudyTBag, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
    1 person likes this.