1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rockets to sign Conroy, send Taylor to D-League

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Matt Maloney, Jan 27, 2010.

1. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6838855.html

Rookie Jermaine Taylor, limited to just 17 ½ minutes this season, will likely be sent to the Rockets’ NBA Development League affiliate on Thursday, a move considered the next step in getting him ready to play with the Rockets, Gersson Rosas, the Rockets vice president of player personnel and Rio Grande Valley Vipers general manager confirmed on Wednesday.

The Rockets will likely sign Vipers point guard Will Conroy, their final cut in the preseason, to a 10-day contract on Friday.

"We feel like Jermaine has done a great job in terms of the individual work, his attitude in practice, in the weight room and in all the different development aspects we have here," Rosas said. "The coaching staff felt he’s really helped himself doing what he can off the floor. We all as a group want to see him in a game setting to see what can apply at this point and how he can handle big minutes and more opportunity in real game situations.

"One of the great things, the coaches and player development guys spent a lot of time with JT, preparing him for the opportunity to play. There is a good window of games and the opportunity to go to the Vipers and take advantage of it. He’s going to be running our offense and our defensive components and we can evaluate his progression in that platform."

Conroy, a 6-2 point guard, has averaged 14.3 points and 8.4 assists in 12 games with the Vipers.

1 person likes this.
  2. YallMean

YallMean Member

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wonder if this means one of our PG are on the way out.

1 person likes this.
  4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, I was confused for sec too that we are landing Mike Conley.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I wonder the same thing.

6. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

for the next match?

7. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Assuming Conroy can contribute, Brooks/Lowry can play at the same time a lot more. They are part of our most productive lineup if I'm not mistaken

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Agree with sending Taylor to D-League. Looks like he has some potential. Would be great to get him some playing time and experience in the D-League. It either looks like there is a PG trade in the works, OR.... we're getting a smaller faster line-up?

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

We talked about this in training camp and again when the Vipers went out and traded for Conroy, but the Rockets really liked him in camp. This could be nothing more than a call-up for garbage time or at best an insurance policy in the event of an injury, ala the Harris and Dorsey call-ups.

OR, this could be bringing him up in order to get him in practices with the big squad so he knows how this team is run by the time the trade deadline arrives in a few weeks.

Another team might have expressed a desire to sign Conroy too, so perhaps the Rockets felt pressured to get him on the squad right away... but I don't think this team needs a 3rd PG right now.

1 person likes this.
  10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Kyle Lowry faints.

As I said, I see a:
    Tmac+Lowry for Iggy+Dalembert(maybe take him one out of the deal)+Speights/Young deal going down, Lowry being a Philly native and Philly having ZERO pg...

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Maybe they want to run that Brooks/Lowry combo in the backcourt more and want a third pg to back those guys up.

12. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

That's a good point ... that's possible too, but I would think that would limit minutes for the Chase/Ariza/Battier trio between the two and three positions. I guess we'll find out.

13. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Why would everyone jump to the conclusion that one of our point guards is on the way out? Just like one of our power forwards was out when Dorsey was called up? And as I'm sure, we'll be trading Ariza for Lebron the second Taylor gets called back up? And I can't even remember what trades you guys pulled out of your ass when we signed Mike Harris?

Come on guys, Will Conroy has not proved A THING at the pro level and neither of our point guards will be on their way out until he does that. Sheesh you guys love jumping to conclusions.

3 people like this.
  14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Yeah I see Lowry the one more likely to be dealt out of him and AB if one of them is dealt in a trade. The Rockets not extending him and knowing he may get a contract they are unwilling to match, might as well get something for him.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Exactly.
    Situations like quick foul trouble with Brooks tonight also requires a 3rd PG.

16. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

PS - I love you Maloney. You were always a favorite of mine. Thrilled to see you posting here at Clutchfans. ;)

17. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

And I completely agree with this theory. That is a hell of a tandem with both of our point guards in, but you can't afford to run it very much when they're your only two point guards on the roster.

18. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Don't recall saying any of those things, nor do I think this definitively means a trade of a PG is coming. However we know the Rockets are trying to make some sort of trade, and backup PG does not require one to prove a ton at the pro level -- rather it's the position where one generally starts to develop the experience. Conroy is 27 years old and has been around the block -- could be his time to start getting that experience.

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

awesome. i was actually very impressed by Conroy during preseason. his passing off the pick and roll is already better than brooks and lowry.

20. Asian Sensation

I love Lowry as he's my favorite player on this current squad and I'd be sad to see him go but we really need a star go to player. Perhaps Lowry can come back in the summer if he does indeed get shipped out.