1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to Pick Up Options for Hill/Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DreamShakeFTW, Oct 26, 2010.

1. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

2. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

But not the option for JT or Chase yet?

I guess they can do that next offseason.

DD

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

These two are 2nd round picks, different rules apply to them than do to 1st rounders.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep. Remember, Chase and JT (who have identical contracts) are not on first round rookie scale contracts, which are the only types of contracts that require team options to be picked up a full year in advance.

The Rockets actually do not technically have "team options" on Chase and JT for next year. Both players' salaries for their third years are non-guaranteed so long as they are waived prior to August 1, 2011.

In an interesting twist, the Rockets actually have team options on those contracts for the fourth year (which must be exercised by July 1, 2012) AND the salary is non-guaranteed so long as they are waived prior to August 1, 2012. This makes picking up the team options a complete no-brainer, since it gives Morey and the Rockets an extra month to decide what to do if those guys (or to trade them, if need be).

That is why I thought it odd that Jonathan Feigen reported early in training camp that the team was picking up its option on Chase. That was just flat-out wrong.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Amazing Bima you are so far more knowledgeable than Feigen.

Okay that is not that big of a compliment. But the fact is I trust what you say 10 times more than what the Chronicle says.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

But it won't be wrong after the next season. Chase's contract is pure gold. No money and he's sealed up for the first 4 years. That makes his trade value off the charts because everyone can see he is a player. Totally crazy steal by Morey.

8. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

two former college arizona teammates on the same team (hill, and budinger) = automatic chemistry.

9. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Taylor? I'll be surprised if he sees another contract with us.

10. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Opie Taylor has a better shot at a contract.

11. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

But wait, I thought D'Antoni said Hill wasn't a good player so I wonder why we are picking up his option. :grin:

12. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

I am not a NBA expert. So would some please explain to me what exactly does "Pick up options" mean? Thx :grin:

13. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Basically, the team could have them under contract or let them walk as FAgent. It was the "team's OPTION" to do either and they chose to keep them under contract.

1 person likes this.
  14. clos4life

clos4life Member

Hah! Remember when Hill was playing well for us last season and that little leprechaun kept sticking to his guns about Hill not being a good player?

15. djperm

djperm Contributing Member

These guys played Very Well Together @ Arizona and they appear to Amplify each other's Strengths in the Pros :)

16. Cakewalk

Cakewalk Member

TY man

17. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The part that stood out to me was "center Jordan Hill." I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the preseason. Is that his position now?