1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to hire new player development coach: Josh Powell?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 31, 2014.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Josh Powell is a true professional and am glad he retired a Rocket.

2. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Another failed post by Carl.

Greg Popovich was such a scrub and not even drafted by any NBA teams and somehow he is able to yell at the great Tim Duncan and Tony Parker on a daily basis.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

mark madsen is a player development coach now..he had an exceptional career

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Some of the greatest coaches in different sports barely played in the highest divisions or didn't at all. Really weak argument to say Powell will be useless because he wasn't a great player in the NBA. Look at how many former players miserably failed at coaching or front office positions, playing is different than pulling the strings.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

This.

Who cares if Powell will actually be a good coach. It's not your money and if it helps Dwight stay happy/motivated or increases the odds of him not wanting to leave by even a little bit, then it's a no-brainer to do this even if Powell adds nothing from a coaching standpoint.

Why bring him back as player? He's not very good and wouldn't get to play any minutes.
    You can pay him just as much or more as a coach without him counting against the cap or taking up a roster spot.

6. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

7. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Some coaches never played pro basketball and are legit. Some coaches did play basketball and suck at coaching (Mchale). Just because you weren't great doesn't mean you can't teach.

8. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

When you consider we already have a dev coach for our bigs, Powell's lack of experience, and that he is Dwights best friend, it looks like a favor, more than anything else.

And a lot of these guys who weren't very good players, but made it as coaches, were in the league for a very long time and sometimes coach elsewhere to gain more experience.

Powell is only 31 and based on games played, has only played 5 seasons.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Of course this is 100% for Dwight. How can anyone doubt that? And I have no problem with it.

1 person likes this.
  10. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Well, if I were to develop a fringe NBA career for myself, I'd darn sure expect to be hired as a player development coach.

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well hey look at scott brooks. The guy sucked but he is doing winders in OKC.

12. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Lol hes brought back because of DWIGHT. He is really close friend amd theyr trying to make dwight happy.

13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

It's not like there's a cap on coaching staff, people here seem awfully distraught about les paying some guy 200k a year or whatever to make dwight happy

14. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know what a player development coach does. Develop players how exactly?

15. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think when mario elie started out he was player development coach for rookie monta ellis at golden state….helping him develop skillset, conditioning, etc….and look now monta have it all

my guess is they would want josh powell to mentor capela and black?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's Morey and Les doing a solid for Dwight. I give it a thumbs up!

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think it's basically a mentor. They seem to help with not just on court stuff, but also how they develop mentally.

Derrick Alston is the current Dev coach and this is what he's doing:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=258647

18. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Can we hire a player development coach for every player on our team? If Les has the cash I wouldn't be opposed.

1 person likes this.
  19. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I always thought Ben Wallace would be a good player development. He played well above expectations. Dwight and Tjones could learn quite a bit from him as well.

20. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I was wondering why he's been in a suit next to the rockets bench. Makes sense.