1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to go after Josh Smith/Millsap next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Mar 15, 2013.

1. cyberx

cyberx Member

They thought he was a good, young piece and also because of $$$ coming in.

2. holly1985

holly1985 Member

Thanks Cyberx.

Another question. Is there any chance for Houston to get Lamarcus Aldridge? I think he's a great fit but it looks like he'll just stay in Portland.

3. cyberx

cyberx Member

Don't really know, Houston is all about YOUNG guys with their big money.

4. just a word

just a word Member

Hmm, would you be able to share any not-widely known insight on the Sloan conference and it's perception in the league?

5. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

Cyberx,

2 questions.

1. I know you can't tell us amounts, but can you clarify as to what TYPES of income streams that Lin brings in, given that the NBA shares revenues? So for example jersey sales, TV revenues, etc. are shared anyway. Some revenue streams I could think of are:

a. Lin opens up JV/business opportunities with Les' side businesses (or with the Rockets directly) that are not officially under the Rockets umbrella so Les can go after profitable business ventures that might not otherwise be there
    b. Some enhanced stadium sponsorships
    c. Enhanced TC tix sales
    d. Money equivalent value from free media publicity (i.e., every marketing dollar you save is a dollar in the Rocket's pockets)

2. Do players like DHo actually get much higher marketing deals is they are playing in cities like NY, LA, CHG? Do the sponsors actually give more? That sounds reasonable (and has been an argument made by many as to why DHo will never leave LA, even if you put aside the extra $30M). However, players like LeBron and Peyton never had to worry about being in a big market. So is a bigger marketing deal an important factor in Dwight staying/others wanting to go to LA etc? For example, even if DHO had been traded to Hou and we had a $30M advantage, if he could make another $50-100M more in LA marketing, that advantage would have disappeared. Just wondering if you see the marketing side of things (I thought you worked for an agent?).

6. cyberx

cyberx Member

Not my cup of tea.

I am honestly not too familiar with it. Doesn't spark my interests.

I know the tech conference here in Houston during All-Star was great.:grin:

7. just a word

just a word Member

Heard from my end that just the asian marketing ads at TC pays for basically the cheaper half of the rotation. Any truth to this?

8. just a word

just a word Member

oh! thank you for answering!

9. PrettyEdward

PrettyEdward Member

Lamarcus Aldridge

LAldridge is still relatively young at 27.

10. cyberx

cyberx Member

No details on that Just a Word.

Cool name BTW

11. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Matt Damon.

12. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

BEST THREAD EVER!!!! CyberX ftw!!!!!

13. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

CyberX, is Lin performing up to the Rockets organization expectations? You also mentioned Asik was far exceeding expectations, do we have a guess on what his stats were suppose to look like for him to meet their expectation?

Any word on how big of a roster change we will have next year?

14. cyberx

cyberx Member

They are patient with Lin.

They expected MORE, but this was BEFORE Harden.

They are happy with how he is doing, but they do expect a little more. Like I said, they hope he finds a nice stride right now and gets it really going. He was still recovering, so give him some slack.

1 person likes this.
  15. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

Question for you cyb...

Houston's priority moves

Landing either or both cp3/Howard

If that is truly no longer possible as you say then next option is trading for love ... Loves desire to go to la as you said should have no baring on rockets making the trade.

Cybrex any insight on whether rockets intend to trade for love ?

16. holly1985

holly1985 Member

@Cyberx,

Which Rockets players have you talked with? Any insight? What are their personality?

17. just a word

just a word Member

Thanks!

And... No details allowed to be given, I presume? Lol.

18. jbasket

jbasket Member

Don't worry, just ignore them and respond to positive people. It's nice to hear inside scoop, thanks!

19. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

Cyber,

How is DMO perceived around the league, especially in terms of trade value?

I find it hard to believe he is as valuable as some folks on clutchfans tend to believe.

20. basketballholic

See this intrigues me greatly. In my opinion, Rondo is the most likely superstar to get traded this off season and is on a great contract. And knowing Ainge is the kinda GM like Morey, that likes to rebuild on the fly, that does not want to go to the lottery except if it is somebody else's dime.....I don't think he could get better pieces for the Celtics than if he could move Rondo for Asik and Lin with other players being thrown in to balance out the salaries.

One alternative to present to Dwight should Paul decide to stay with the Clippers would be a backcourt of Rondo/Harden to appeal to Dwight. Rondo/Dwight would be just as much lob city as Paul/Dwight or Paul/anyone else. Rondo/Harden/Dwight is 3 max players with 2 of those players on less than max deals. Plenty of room to still add that 4th guy. Just a thought.

Of course my dream scenario is for Morey to lock up both Paul/Dwight to play with Harden and for Morey to create the space to sign both guys outright by trading Lin/Asik plus parts for Rondo and parts, then trade Rondo and parts to the highest bidder willing to take him for future first round draft picks. We wind up with Paul/Harden/Dwight plus a couple future first rounders to add to the core in the coming years. But alas, I realize that is an extreme long shot.

So, in my humble opinion, Rondo could be an option here.