1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Team Shop: What a Joke!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SirCharlesFan, Aug 18, 2005.

1. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Despite living only 5 up Highway 59 from Houston, I made what was only my third trip to the city this past week. Well, I was so psyched about being able to go to Houston this week so I could get some awesome Rockets gear. Honestly, it was one of my main reasons for coming down to Houston...I wanted to pick up some Rockets gear!

Well, I went to a few sporting goods stores (Oshman's + 2 Academy) and the selection of Rockets gear paled in comparison to the Texans and Astros merchandise in the stores. Hell, I think I even saw more UH Cougars gear than Rockets gear in these stores. So, anyways, I left a few of my friends at the beach in Galveston and made the drive to the Toyota Center thinking I would be able to find all sorts of great Rockets t-shirts and stuff. Well, much to my dismay, there were FOUR....FOUR different styles of mens' t shirts.

One was like a Yao jersey shirt with his name in Chinese. One was an incredibly ugly black one with two grey outlines of men playing basketball. One was some ugly piece of **** that said something about "No Sweat, No Gain." The fourth was so bad I don't even remember what it was. There was not even a basic shirt with the plain Rockets logo on it!!! You have GOT to be kidding me. I complained to the guy at the register, but he mentioned it not being the Rockets season. Now, at this point, I could go on a rant about how no one gives a **** about the WNBA and how they need to get rid of all the Comets gear, but there were EMPTY RACKS where Rockets gear should have been located. It's not like they were out of space. In the end, being so disappointed and not wanting to leave empty handed, I bought a 2006 All Star shirt that mentions nothing about the Rockets.

THIS SUCKS. I've always thought the stores where I lived carried Mavs merchandise because they are the closest NBA team and Spurs gear because they're pretty dominant...and once the Rockets won another title, I'd be able to find some merchandise. But at this point, I wonder if it's just because the people in charge of merchandising for the Rockets are complete dumbasses. When people at sporting goods stores in your own city don't know where to suggest people go to buy your team gear...YOU HAVE ISSUES.

Sorry...rant over. Fire the Rockets' merchandising team.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i don't blame them since our logo ain't exactly "photogenic". granted it's better than the previous one, but still...it's just a friggin R with a ring.

3. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

Actually Walmart has more Rockets stuff than Academy, Oshman, or whatever. They have nice cheap jerseys and some plain shirts with Rockets logo that i wear whenever i go ball.

4. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

I agree with you completely. The Rockets shop has a very limited selection, and the hours are just plain weird as well. I've also been looking for some good t-shirts myself, but have yet found any. Hopefully the will stock up on some better items soon.

5. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

I like that old red and yellow jersey but they're not selling it there at the toyota center...

6. zoork34

zoork34 Contributing Member

academy and oshmans sell stuff by the season, so what youre seeing is just rockets stuff left over from last season. baseball is still going, and the NFL is starting soon so they are selling more astros and texans stuff. wait till november and there will be a crapload of rockets stuff at those places.

7. droxford

droxford Member

8. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

they did have some very nice Rockets polos that are on sale for 20 and 30 bucks...but their T-shirt selection is low and their hours (Wednesdays and saturdays 11-5) are just lethargic...

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's hard finding good Rockets merchandise. I really don't care about jerseys and shorts because I think they're way overpriced, but I'd like to find a freaking keychain or something. Admittedly I haven't looked too hard, so... :)

10. RocketsMVP

RocketsMVP Contributing Member

I actually found a pretty nice key chain at the Rockets store during the clearance sale a few months back...however, broke off in a matter of weeks.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't the shop just have a sale a couple weeks back to clear out their Rockets stuff?

12. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure it did.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sorry, I meant for out-of-town people. I haven't looked too hard, but if anyone knows of any site that sells a Rockets keychain with the "new" logo, let me know.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

No leather jacket still. This is ridiculous.

15. FrancisFan

FrancisFan Contributing Member

16. DCballer

DCballer Member

Here's a thought. Do any of you remember the clearence sale at the end of the season. No wonder there's nothing in the Rockets shop, duh! Why don't you try waiting until the season gets closer. They do change up the selection and t-shirts every year.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

18. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

tim if you can read this, we SERIOUSLY need you back!!! marketing has gone into a downward spiral since you left!!! PLEASE COME BACK TIM!!!!

19. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

If you want Rockets stuff, come to Dallas. You're guaranteed to get it at a good price and it'll be in stock. :D

20. bushwickbillyd

bushwickbillyd Contributing Member

Champs Sports always has at least 4-5 differnet Rockets Tee's, Hats etc.