1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets target three bigs, unlikely to get any of them

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockzilla, Feb 22, 2011.

Tags:
  1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

That's news to me.

2. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Why am I not surprised.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If the Rox don't do anything I'm going to throw darts at that damn Morey Pic! :mad:

4. Seth

Seth Member

Would you do a Jeffries, Scola, Brooks for Josh Smith and a TE?

5. RocketMania1991

Definitley, Smith can play offense and is a great defensive player. Still very young to.

6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Hawks wouldn't do it. :(

7. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Its hard to imagine Morey actually pulling off a big trade that will help put this team over the top. I just don't see it happening. Morey is able to pull off small trades that is a temporary fix and maybe little upgrades here and there but I just don't think he is able to pull a big one.

The Rockets just don't have the assets to do so. All of our players are average and our young players doesn't possess as high of a ceiling like other young players around the league and they would not be able to get a high draft pick because they are trying to make the playoffs which I just don't see happening. Because of that, the Rockets will miss the playoffs but probably have one of the best record for a losing team so that put us in the mids picks like 12-14 pick.

SO basically, we don't have enough assets to intrigue any teams of giving up their young rising star nor have the losing record to get a high pick. Like I said, the ROckets should find a path and stick with it. Trying to rebuild and going after veterans only going to help us win more games but not enough to make the playoffs, even if we do, that'll be 8th or 7th spot which we will get destroyed in the first round and get sucked into that same cycle again. Win enough to make the playoffs or miss it by a few games, get the 13-14th pick and going after vets that help make us a little better but not even close to put us over the top.

What Morey have to realized that in order for this team to improve dramatically, we need a game changer. It is nice to have a player of caliber like Nene but he's only going to win us a few more games and it doesn't really get us no where but a first round exit. I much rather go after a game changer first or try to acquire a high draft pick than just going into that same cycle where we just win enough to make the playoffs and lose in the first round. Its always nice to be in the playoffs but not as an 8th seed or 7th seed team waiting to get beaten out of the first round. I much rather load up with young talents, and load this team up so we can actually make a push for the top seed in the West and make a big push in the playoffs rather then just barely making it into the playoff just to get eliminated.

8. nwcougar1

nwcougar1 Member

Nene has proven himself so I can understand the interest but Gortat? What am I missing here? He hasn't proven squat!

9. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

With so many posts over the next few days, it's really not the time to be vague as to what you want.

10. CCorn

CCorn Member

It's an optical illusion. If you look close enough you see Lowry eating a cupcake

1 person likes this.
  11. Seth

Seth Member

I agree, but i saw it is somewhat possible and the Hawks are looking for a Backup scoring PG that can sometime fill in Bibby´s shoes. And Brooks might fill that profile.
    PF wise, Scola is pretty much a better scorer than Smith (scores more, with less mins and better percentage), they assist at the same rate while Smith is clearly the better defensive player (he doubles Scola in both blocks and steals).
    It´s quite a longshot, but the Hawks would be going 2 for 1 in this one, so they might accept a dropoff in defense.

Another option, i don´t like but is doable is to trade Scola, Yao and Lee or Brooks (salary wise both match) to Memphis for Randolph, Thabeet and OJ Mayo.

I am not sold on anyone of Mayo, Thabeet or Randolph, but it is a trade that can be done an we would still hold a couple of assets in Brooks or Lee, Battier and Jeffries.

12. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

The Hawks are trying to move Bibby, not find a backup for him.

13. avb

avb Member

No - I think clutchfans overrates our players, and the collection of 'assets' Morey has assembled just isnt that good. Other GM's aren't avoiding the Rockets because they're worried about getting fleeced by Morey, they just aren't interested in Jordan Hill or Budinger. Brooks, Martin, and Lee are players that other teams want, but they don't want to give up anything of value to acquire those players.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I didn't realize denver now has 3 centers...Nene, mozgov and Koufos....Nene is not available, but what about the other 2? I know they needed more size to counter LA, but they still have birdman, so perhaps they'll be willing to give up one of the other two? Definitely not a "SPLASH" move, but for the right price, wouldn't it be better than nothing? Seems like Koufos would be the odd man in that rotation...

15. cuddie

cuddie Member

The only one out of the three I would want is Gortat, and even then his contract is somewhat of a downer.

16. red

red Contributing Member

being a douche=being a douche

1 person likes this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Clutchfans giving Morey advice... Classic... :grin:

18. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

A starter quality center locked in on an MLE contract is a BAD deal? :confused: :confused: :confused:

19. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Why not Asik? I think I like Asik more than Gortat or Varajeao for upside at least.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

Did a guy in here really say David Lee plays defense?