1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets @TANKATHON 2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I love all these mock drafts when we don't even know where most of these teams are going to pick. :D

2. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Dumb me for some stupid reason I thought we had 25% chance of #1 pick. Ffs it is only 14%

Astrodome likes this.
  3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's not like we haven't been through this for like 2-3 years now. C'mon.

4. hajkov

hajkov Consummate Member

Thats why I have no excuse other than just being dumb

JusBleezy likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Houston Rockets: Victor Wembanyama (Metropolitans 92, PF/C, 2004)

After sinking his former team with a game-winning putback last week, Wembanyama followed up by making all three of his three-point attempts in another win Sunday. No college player has ever averaged over 1.5 threes and 3.0 blocks per game, and Wembanyama is doing it at 19 years old in a professional league.

Aside from his shooting and rim protection, it's still his ball-handling, creation and shot-making versatility that separate Wembanyama from any other 7-footer the NBA has seen.

Winless since Dec. 26, the Houston Rockets can at least start to think or dream about the space and defense a Jabari Smith Jr.-Wembanyama pairing could provide. However, Houston may also have to consider the possibility of using a big frontcourt with Alperen Şengün, who's making a serious sophomore jump.

25. Houston Rockets (via Bucks): Jalen Hood-Schifino (Indiana, PG, Freshman)

Averaging 19.3 points and 5.0 assists over Indiana's last six games, Hood-Schifino could be playing himself into the 2023 draft. Though turnover-prone, he's showcased impressive passing IQ for a 6'6" ball-handler, and he's been effective and accurate getting into his pull-up and connecting from deep, having made 22-of-50 threes and 45.5 percent of his 77 dribble jumpers.

6. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

J Gatlin and Ben Dubose were talking on Locked on Rockets about how mock drafts should all be done based on a tankathon spin; thought that was a good idea, myself. Hopefully help drive home the reality of lottery odds... (?)

Astrodome likes this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm not sure I could sit through a meaningless mock draft like that. At least, for the most part, with the NFL, you kind of know how everything is going to turn out (unless the damn Texans are involved) as the season is going, so it has meaning. With the lottery functionality, protected draft picks, etc. of the NBA, all you know is "you could end up in one of these spots ... maybe ... then again, maybe not" which just ends up in a meaningless mock drafts.

And if people haven't gotten the reality of lottery odds and the differences in having the worst record and not yet, they never will.

8. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

1) Houston Rockets -

Victor Wembanyama
    Metropolitans 92 (LNB), France

Wembanyama would vault the Rockets—or any other team that lands him—into another stratosphere, giving them an ideal defensive frontcourt fit next to Alperen Sengun and Jabari Smith Jr. and the ideal pick-and-roll partner for Jalen Green. The vibes would change as soon as he stepped foot in Houston.

The NBA’s greatest prospect in decades with the ceiling to be an all-time great, and unlike anyone the game has seen before.

SHADES OF Gen-Z Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

PLUSES
    • Towers over opponents at 7-foot-4 and shoots an unblockable jumper. He can spot up from way behind the line and hit 3s off movement from pick-and-pops, relocations, or transition sprints. He has battled streakiness with his shot but has improved his mechanics and frame dramatically in a year.

• Enhances his perimeter skill with a functional handle. Wembanyama can attack closeouts to get to the basket or create offense for himself. He’s capable of drilling stepbacks or sidesteps from behind the arc and from midrange.

• A potential signature shot for him is his floater from behind the arc. As wild as the shot is, he has tried it on multiple occasions and at his enormous height it looks proportional to a guard taking a midrange jumper.

• Skilled post scorer who can hit fadeaways, turnarounds, and hook shots. Defenses currently put smaller defenders on Wemby, and though he can shoot over them, he should also work to add power moves. Then there’d be no scheme that can slow him down and he’d draw constant double teams, activating his playmaking skills.

• Even if Vic is having an off shooting night, he can offer major value as a sturdy screener and a devastating finisher. He can catch the ball on the short roll and take a few dribbles to get inside, or rise above the defense to throw down thunderous lobs. With soft touch around the basket and a knack for finding cutting angles, he’s always an open target.

• Wemby is a score-first player, but he also has a feel for playmaking. He selflessly looks for outlet passes, and in the half court he's particularly adept at making high-low passes to cutters or bigs sealing off smaller defenders under the rim. Off the roll, he’s made pinball-like redirection passes where the ball comes his way and then he taps it toward a teammate.

• Strong rebounder who can take the ball up the court and create offense for his teammates. In the half court, he barely needs to jump to tip in second chances or dunk over the opponent.

• A perennial Defensive Player of the Year candidate who uses his 8-foot wingspan to deter opponents from even sniffing the paint. He has the quick hands to poke at the ball against would-be attackers and he can block shots using either hand. He even makes blocking jumpers look easy because of his length, outstanding closing speed, and constant effort.

• Communicative interior defender who calls out defensive coverages and is a motivator. He screams and fist pumps when his teammates make plays. He talks in huddles. There’s an emerging leader in him.

• Versatile defender who can play in different schemes. If he were on the Bucks, he could play either the Giannis Antetokounmpo role as a help defender or the Brook Lopez role in drop coverages. On the Raptors, he could thrive as a switch defender since he’s comfortable moving laterally against wings and forwards. And if he’s out of position, he can take one step and be ready to alter a shot. There isn’t a coverage he can’t excel in, giving his coaching staff immense flexibility.

• Relentless worker who understands who he is and what’s at stake in his career. There has been no negative feedback on his character. He’s a selfless player who wants only to win and reach his full potential.
    MINUSES
    • He could improve his off hand both near the basket—which would make him an even more dominant finisher—and as a playmaker. Right now, most of his passes come using both hands or his right.

• Though Mets 92 empowered him to do so, he occasionally settled for midrange jumpers early in the clock. He’d dribble the ball up on the break and pull up, rather than attack the basket or look for a shooter.

• With his leaner frame, he’ll probably be best suited to share the floor with someone who can battle interior bigs, like P.J. Tucker or Steven Adams. Wembanyama will be capable of playing center full time, but strategic placement would help alleviate his workload.

• Only health can derail him from a Hall of Fame career. He’s already suffered a fibula stress fracture, a scapula contusion, and an issue affecting the psoas muscle in his back. There’s a long history of unusually tall humans like him having durability issues in the NBA. But Wembanyama will invest everything he can to maximize his odds of a long, fruitful career.

27) Houston Rockets -

Jordan Hawkins
    UConn, Freshman

Houston is one of the worst 3-point-shooting teams. The franchise would be fortunate if a sharpshooter like Hawkins were to fall to them with this selection.

SHADES OF Rip Hamilton, Max Strus

Flawless shooter who bangs 3s from all over the court and brings tons of other qualities that help his team win.

PLUSES
    • Elite shooter with a lightning-quick release and the stamina to run around the floor all game and the intelligence to find open space at a high level. NBA teams will be able to utilize him in off-ball screening actions from Day 1.

• Major transition threat who races up the floor to the wings or corners, making himself available for open 3-point opportunities. He’s potent at the 3s in which he must stop on a dime, then rise and fire. But if he must put the ball on the floor for one- or two-dribble side-dribble 3s he can still thrive.

• The ball doesn’t stick in his hands. Even though he can stroke 3s he’ll pass up a contested shot on the wing for a teammate to launch an open corner 3, or he’ll attack a closeout then kick it out again.

• Smart off-ball defender who actively makes rotations, and helps cover for mistakes or gambles by teammates. Many of his fastbreak chances come as a result of his hustle, whether he’s chasing a loose ball or a rebound.

• Solid on-ball defender. He’s a good but not great athlete, so there are limits to his on-ball defensive upside. In a game against the Clippers, he’s not the guy a defense sticks on Kawhi Leonard or Paul George. He’s the guy you can put on Reggie Jackson or Norman Powell.
    MINUSES
    • Hawkins isn’t a primary ball handler who will run the offense. He lacks the handle and wiggle to break down defenders off the dribble or run pick-and-roll like the game’s true point guards.

• Under-the-rim at-rim finisher who would benefit from adding a floater and some more touch layups to his repertoire.

• Though he's shooting the ball at an elite level as a sophomore, he made only 33.3 percent of his 3s as a freshman.

#88 Rockets34Legend, Jan 19, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

To be the worst team in the NBA the past 3 years hurts. At least we will get a top 5 pick, either Wemby, Scooter Henderson, Thompson Twins or Brandon Miller from Alabama. No more picks after that! We need a big trade now, because there is nothing for us this summmer free agency period. We need a big trade, I would love to trade for OG

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

NBA draft: 2020 (Round: 1 / Pick: 30)

11. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Goodness gracious

BaselineFade and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I love the intro that one player can vault the worst team to a Top 12 Defense by himself right away.

It just takes years......

13. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This legitimately scares me if we get him. Like that's a lot riding on one dude who is awkward stumble from missing entire seasons.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  14. i3artow i3aller

15. TimDuncanDonaut

Cade and Chet missed entire seasons with lesser injuries pre-draft.

--- Maybe Wemby balled too much --- his injury rap sheet.

===========================================
    June 2022: Wembanyama ruled out for the season with psoas injury.

Dec. 2021: Wembanyama misses nearly two months with shoulder contusion.

Nov. 2021: Wembanyama fractures finger, misses nearly one month.

Dec. 2020: Wembanyama suffers stress fracture in fibula

Sauce: https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2022/8...jury-history-muscle-psoas-back-nba-draft-2023

JusBleezy and i3artow i3aller like this.
  16. i3artow i3aller

Didn't Cade recently admit that his current shin injury had actually plagued him since high school?

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

Injuries can be freaky and random. Sounds like Cade had one returned.

On the Wemby thing. A year ago; I was wary of his injury situation. Unfortunately in the last 1.5 years; he's had a "major one" at least every 6 months. Because of how bad the Rockets has been, think our fandom is becoming a bit desperate. Personally speaking, I've started to willfully forget Vic's 'cons', and got swept up in Wemba-mania.

If Rockets get the #1 pick; they still take him regardless.​

On his most recent injury, sounds like his team is trying to take care of him.

"The psoas (pronounced with a silent P) runs from your back to your leg, and is the muscle that allows a person to pull their knee up to their chest.
    A psoas will limit how a person can run, and can ultimately lead to lower back pain. This isn’t too dissimilar from a hip flexor. It would be reckless to speculate on just how worrisome this injury is, but given Wembanyama’s size and the history of big men with back problems, it certainly seems like a good thing that he’s taking a cautious approach and sitting out EuroBasket."​

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah. If he ever gets his shot in order, he's going to be damn good. But until then, I'll always love this :

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...-round-predictions-week-before-trade-deadline

1. Houston Rockets: Victor Wembanyama (Metropolitans 92, PF/C, 2004)

The development of Alperen Sengün has become the biggest storyline in Houston. Winning the lottery would force the Rockets' front office and coaches to start picturing a bigger lineup with Wembanyama's shooting and defense next to Sengün with Jabari Smith playing a three-and-D role on the wing.

Scoot Henderson makes the most sense for Houston on paper, and it may be worth finding out what the No. 2 team would give up to move to No. 1. But there is very little chance anyone will trade the right to draft Wembanyama, whose 7'4" size, shooting range, defensive impact, self-creation, shot-making versatility and passing have separated him from any prospect in recent memory.

27. Houston Rockets (via Bucks): Rayan Rupert (New Zealand Breakers, SG/SF, 2004)

Rupert has been up and down, but teams in the 20s figure to still see a worthwhile gamble on a 6'6", 18-year-old wing with promising shooting form and a 7'3" wingspan that often pops on defense.

20. i3artow i3aller