1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets @TANKATHON 2023

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I just don’t think he is really all that great. He is long and can hit 3’s, but that’s about it. That’s really nice and valuable but not top 5. He isn’t a really good athlete or defender or penetrator or passer or creator or finisher.

topfive, Deuce and yixiixiy like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

So once the Rockets draft Webanyama, how does the rest of the team shake out?

My guess:

P.G. - FA
    S.G. - Green
    S.F - Smith
    P.F. - Sengun
    ..C - Webanyama

Head Coach - Abdelfattah

groovemachine likes this.
  3. LeDakota

LeDakota Member

Why do you guys think Wemby will solve our problems? You should look at the history of players 7 foot 3 and above. It’s not good. No one wants to talk about that Wemby is already injury prone. Wemby just like Chet and Kristaps, will be injury prone throughout his career.

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

all this is mute unless you get a coach that can make it work

clos4life likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Houston Rockets: Amen Thompson (Overtime Elite, PG/SG, 2003)

Thompson's stock will be tied to how well the top NCAA prospects look. At this point, he still appears like the draft's most enticing prospect outside of Wembanyama and Henderson, mostly due to his superhero athletic abilities, playmaking at 6'7" and defensive coverage. While debate still swirls around his shooting—whether it can improve and how it would affect his outlook if it doesn't—Thompson still offers enough scoring potential with his transition play, handle/quickness for creating and elevation into two-point short shots/finishes.

28. Houston Rockets (via Bucks): Dillon Mitchell (Texas, PF, Freshman)

Special quickness and bounce for finishing and defensive versatility could be enough for Mitchell to draw first-round interest. He's shown too little as a creator, shooter or passer to compete for realistic consideration with the lottery freshmen.

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  6. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Great post. Felt like it would be good information for this thread as well.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I had a good feeling the last two seasons. This year I feel like 5-8th pick. Still could be a great player to add though.

KelvinCato13 likes this.
  8. Raven

Raven Member

Rockets are now tied for worst record in the league.

:eek:

:D Wemby

:cool: Scoot

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/...after-fast-start-victor-wembanyama-goes-no-1/

2. Scoot Henderson • PG • G LEAGUE IGNITE • 6'2" / 195 LBS
    Henderson is the clear consolation prize for whichever teams finishes runner-up in the Wembanyama sweepstakes. He'd be a pretty clear No. 1 pick contender in most years with the way he can explode by defenders with his speed, and his competitive spirit is unrivaled among guards in this class. Tough, fiery lead guard who plays with an edge on both ends and will make some NBA team very happy.

28. Julian Strawther • SG • GONZAGA • JR • 6'7" / 205 LBS
    Strawther's been nails in a bigger role with Gonzaga this season and has somehow been more efficient from 3-point range despite drawing more attention. Big guards who can hit from deep with regularity and serve in that role -- like he did last season -- makes him an easy projection to the NBA.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Thanks to you (and Clutch) -- I was thinking we felt on pace with last season; a tiny bit sad that we're worse, when the league does not feel much better overall.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I think the amount of things that players get away with just proves that the team was 100% intentionally tanking from the beginning. I had my doubts, i thought maybe they would try and see if they could win and see how it went, but the messaging from the coaching staff to the front office implies the idea was to tank this year, and to try to keep the players happy at the same time without telling them we are tanking. Insiders like Tari Eason's mom also implied that we were tanking from the beginning by saying we don't need anyone else, we have a winning team here etc.

-Nix's nonsense as of late
    -KJ getting big minutes after complaining and asking to be traded
    -No one is going to address what EG said within the org, they will look the other way
    -They have told KPJ that he is the head honcho to keep him happy
    -No one is saying a word to Green about being a chucker and being inefficient
    -No one has told Tari Eason's mom to keep quiet

They are doing what they can to keep the locker room from imploding, and that means not disciplining anyone, and as Silas mentioned to just keep a positive attitude.

13. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Sengun is your backup big in this scenario, with KMJ or Tate starting at the 3. KPJ is 6th man.

14. topfive

topfive CF OG

JusBleezy likes this.
  15. i3artow i3aller

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. Rockets: Anthony Black, G, Arkansas

Height: 6'7" | Weight: 200 | Age: 18 | Freshman

This isn’t some crazy revelation considering the strength of the top two spots in this draft, but team executives have begun to view the No. 3 pick as where this year’s draft really begins. While there are a handful of players with legitimate candidacy, there’s no league-wide consensus surrounding this spot and it will depend heavily on which team ends up drafting here. The Rockets have loaded up on shot-creators, but would benefit from the addition of some connective playmaking fiber in their rotation.

Again, it’s early in this process, but Black has played his way into consideration for a very high selection. He offers untapped upside as well as a high floor due to his elite size for a lead guard, advanced feel and positive impact on both ends of the floor. Black has been a much more effective and efficient scorer than many expected at Arkansas, and while he’ll need to cut down on his turnovers and work hard to improve his jumper, he’s established himself as a versatile, jumbo-sized playmaker with a lot of room to refine his skills.

26. Rockets (from Bucks): Dereck Lively, C, Duke

Height: 7'1" | Weight: 220 | Age: 18 | Freshman

Lively has demonstrated his ability to impact games with his size and shot-blocking, but it remains concerning that he’s been unable to secure a bigger share of minutes at Duke, and that his impact on the glass and as a play-finisher have both been minimal. While he may be someone who works his way back up draft boards in workouts, it would be a surprise at this point if he winds up in the lottery. He’s offered little in the way of actual production and profiles as a true, one-position center that doesn’t space the floor, an archetype that’s been greatly devalued in the modern NBA. At this point, assuming he chooses to turn pro, Lively will be drafted purely as a project, barring some unexpected turnaround in ACC play and the postseason.

BaselineFade likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4066178/2023/01/12/nba-mock-draft-2023-wembanyama-henderson-whitmore-miller/

1. Houston Rockets

Victor Wembanyama | 7-4 center | 19 years old | Metropolitans 92

Wembanyama is the no-doubter at No. 1 for everyone. He has a very real case to be the best prospect since LeBron James given his size, shot-creation skill, tools on defense and production. The 7-foot-4 French center has averaged 22.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and three blocks per game, all of which currently lead the French League. He’s also shooting 47.9 percent from the field and about 80 percent from the foul line while getting up over five 3-point attempts per game — many of which are self-created opportunities off the bounce. I’ve delved deep into Wembanyama following his games against the G League Ignite earlier this season, so if you’re looking for a fuller picture of this dynamic, shot-creating, rim-protecting super-giant who can shoot and dominate games, look there. In terms of potential weaknesses, the occasional scout has pointed to his passing and ability to make reads on the move, as well as the consistency of his shot. But I’ve yet to talk to one who doesn’t see these skills as likely to be improved as he ages. As long as Wembanyama stays healthy long term — something he’s done so far this season after a bit of a history of picking up injuries here and there — Wembanyama is a franchise-altering talent whose acquisition would completely change the fortunes of whichever team acquires him.

26. Houston Rockets (via MIL)

Kel’el Ware | 7-0 center | 19 years old | Oregon

I remain very intrigued by Ware largely due to the versatility of skill set. He’s a superb athlete with great balance and movement skills at 7-foot tall. On top of that, he blocks shots, shoots 3s and even shows a couple of flashes as a passer. I’m not totally sure he made the right college decision because he often doesn’t get to play his best position (center) due to Oregon already having N’Faly Dante. You’d also like to see him finish with more force around the basket. But there are worse bets to take than a 7-footer with skill-set versatility and this type of athleticism. He’s a project big worth investing in, even if the numbers are a bit pedestrian at 8.6 points and 4.9 rebounds per game.

BaselineFade likes this.
  18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

#78 Rockets34Legend, Jan 12, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tankathon

Tankathon all day, every day, twice on Sundays!

JusBleezy likes this.
  20. Raven

Raven Member

The internet tells me the 2023 NBA lottery is on MAY 16, so just four months away.

:D

xaos likes this.