1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Talking Trade???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hrce11, Jun 19, 2003.

1. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Hey, there's still hope for Griffin!

As for Ford... I don't want him. I have a strong feeling he's going to be a flop in this league. I just don't think he has what it takes. He can maybe be a Damon Stoudamire at best, and that's pushing it. Besides... I have other reasons for hating the little b!tch.

2. mystique0005

mystique0005 New Member

:mad: Of course not!! Why use two young & promising star even first round pick to change a old Jones?! Do you want to see Rice nightmare again?? I am fed up with spending over $10 million at a "SO-CALLED" 3 points shooter who is over 32 years old!! After training Yao's physical strenght, cooperating with Cato. Rockets will have a good chance next year!! Please don't make mistake again!!

3. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

Why is noone talking about the possibilities of landing Gilbert Arenas. I would love to have him run the point with Stevie at the 2. Maybe GS would be interested in a sign and trade deal for Mobley. Arenas has a nice court game, plays well in control and is not a smallish point guard.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

How about the Rockets run the offense through Ming, our best decision maker, then you wouldn't need to trade for a pass first pg? Get ready to see Ming get alot of touches this yr and make most of the decision out of the post.

5. goophers

goophers Member

I think because we have almost no chance of getting him. The problem with him is Golden State can't offer him more money. S&T's usually work because a team can sign a player to more money than he can get as a free agent. If Golden State can get enough cash, they'll keep Arenas. Otherwise, he'll sign as a FA somewhere like Denver.

6. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Well, first you guys spelled Kirk's last name wrong. It's Hinrich not Heinrich.

Secondly, if TJ is really as great as some of the post claimed, he should have been no worse than #3 pick, and can make a run at #1. Who does not want to get the player with Magic's court vision, great work ethic, let alone the fastest player in the league?

7. fa7999

fa7999 Member

TJ is a horrible outside shooter, and I don't think that he can improve his shooting in the NBA.

He was a 26% 3-pointer shooter last year on limited shots. I have watched numerous Kansas and Texas games, and truly believe that for Rockets, Hinrich is a better fit. We are not gonna be a running team. In a half court offense, I would take Hinrich for his tremendous outside shooting. I was very impressed by his one man show against Arizona in the NCAA last year.

Also remember that the UT offense runs through TJ, and Roy Williams always emphasizes on going to big man first. The KU offense never went through Kirk Hinrich. It was Gooden and later Collison. All reports and workouts seem to indicate that people are very impressed with Hinrich's skills and athletic abilities. Roy Williams's system not fully realized a guy's potential unless you are 4 or 5. Look at Paul Pierce. Roy insisted that offense had to go through Raef LaFrentz and never even designed any set plays for Paul. If Roy had established Paul as the man, he probably would not be labeled at the best coach not to win a title.

8. tozai

tozai Member

Wow some of the people here must be crazy or not know crap about basketball. To even suggest that Hinrich would be a better NBA player than TJ Ford is ridiculous. I'd be surprised if he's anything more than mediocre.

Why's TJ going to fail? Because he's 6'? He can't bench 185? He can't shoot?

Do you think if he was 6'2 he'd be so much better at what he does best? That would be being a point guard. Yes, a real point guard. You don't think his shot will improve at all? I'd disagree, but even if it didn't he's still extremely valuable because he finds a way for the team to win. I don't know if I'd go as far to compare him to Kidd, but at the worst he'd be Kenny Anderson which is not that bad.

"Who does not want to get the player with Magic's court vision, great work ethic, let alone the fastest player in the league?"

He does have great work ethic, is one of the fastest players, and has amazing vision. Don't you know, though, that drafts are all about potential? Darko is on potential, Lebron is on potential. But wait, you know what's so special about Lebron? He also has that game-changing ability in that he can create for himself, but also makes those around him better. Tons of people can create a shot, but only few can do that and make their teammates better.

TJ doesn't have to be a great outside shooter, that's not his job. We have plenty of others to score, his job is to set up people and control the tempo. Hinrich can do neither. If you want a shooter why don't we just get Troy Bell or Hollis Price.

9. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

If you remember, we won our first title with Kenny Smith and Vernon Maxwell as our 1 and 2 and they are 6'3 and 6'4" respectively. Even though it isn't as short as what TJ and Steve would be, it is still a short backcourt by any standards. We had proven in 1994 that height is insignificant when you got heart :)

10. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Contributing Member

because hes a wannabe steve francis without the hops that steves got. i mean geeze, he played the point on one of the highest powered offenses in the league, and still managed to get the same amount of assists as steve.

11. tozai

tozai Member

WHAT? Forget about stats and actually watch the guys play. He's a player and would be a great addition for our team, but it just can't happen. He's going to be a pretty damn good and showed that last season.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Miami would be fools to make this trade. They desperately need to get more athletic and TJ Ford fits the bill if he ever learns to hit a medium range jumpshot. He'd sure jumpstart their rather lethargic offense - watching the Heat play offense last year was like watching paint dry only watching the paint was more fun.

13. HillBoy

If Arenas goes anywhere it'll be to Denver. They really want him and are prepared to pay him a truckload of $$$.

14. HillBoy

Boy! This had me ROTFL! Who did that scouting report, Ray Charles?

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lol

first off, it wasn't just one game. I saw him play in Europe videos and saw the World Championship.

JR, read the post again. I didn't write off Ginobili. I challenged the hype that said he was ROY. I said he was no NBA star and had trouble shooting, and was scattered on defense. I placed a ceiling on him. I didn't write him off. I swear, some people don't know how to handle a scouting report about one game. It happens. And a lot of the one game (plus

Besides, the thread was to laugh at Mobley just schooling an overhyped Spur...which he did, and Gino is overhyped.

I like Ginobili, especially his passing, (the defense is a little eratic and overhyped) but he certainly is no all-star at SG. If you think he is, then I don't know what to say.

16. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I'd love to get TJ, but for Taylor and Cato? That makes the frontcourt kinda thin. If I had my choice of blockbuster trades this offseason, I'll take O'Neal. ;)

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

another JR, you are not a very good scout of "team oriented" players if you think Parker is an example of the NBA PGs who "gets it." Parker, like almost every PG in the league, knows how to be a PG and what he is supposed to do. But Parker's biggest fault is forgetting that at key parts of games.

Parker is like Cassell in that respect. Both clearly know how to be a PG, but they forget it and try to be the man, and the NBA MVP goes too many consecutive possessions without "getting it." Parker most definitely has the instincts to be stupidly "selfish" at times. He's not on my list of pure NBA PG's...is he really on yours?

18. RCKTBachar

RCKTBachar Member

My thoughts exactly. Gilbert Arenas is a team first type of player, and if you watch the way he plays its obvious he gets it. He is a nice sized PG too.

I would trade Cat to get him, thats all I know. He wont sign for the Max, I would be willing to get he gets Cat like money too.

19. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Arenas fires up too many ill-advised 3 pt shots...

20. Possum

Possum Member

And Cat didn't?:confused: I would trade Cat for Arenas straight up any day.