1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Talking Trade???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hrce11, Jun 19, 2003.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

1. I think Ford would help the team, and I don't think that he would be that much of a defensive liability. Watch the tape of Boykins pestering the crap out of SF to see what a smaller quicker player can do to you. According to ESPN.com he has been shooting the ball extremely well during his workouts. He does possess that "special" court vision that great PGs have. I think SF would hurt us more defensively than TJ would, but I am sure VG could develop a scheme to limit these issues.

2. The Rockets actually do run a pretty tight lip operation. I know about a couple of significant trades that almost happened that were shot down for one reason or another. Remember the Dream trade to Tor in '96 or '97? That was leaked by Tor, NOT the Rocks. I am sure that numerous trades are discussed that never materialize. It wouldn't suprise me at all that we are in discussions with the Heat as a trade could be mutually beneficial to both teams.

3. I think SF would terrorize opposing teams offensively at the 2. NOBODY could hold him. Watch the tape of him schooling Kobe in the overtime win where he went off for 44pts. I also think that VG would have him play more passing lanes to take advantage of his quickness.

4. Change EJ for BG and this trade really helps us out as we get a physical 4 to help Yao inside with KC coming off the bench.

Ford, SF, JP, BG, Yao could cause major match up problems for most teams in the league, and catapult us into a 5 or 6th seed on the playoffs. At least that's the way I see it. I may be wrong, and wouldn't be the first time.

2. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

shoot man...
    id rather push a ford up a steep hill than drive a chevy!

3. verse

verse Contributing Member

this talk of kirk heinrich is the same type of narrow minded, conservative, short term thinking that landed us chumps like matt maloney and bryce drew.

damnit, can no one see talent in here? tj ford is, already, the fastest player in college or the nba. now, add to that the absolute best court vision (next to jason kidd) in college or the nba. now, add on the work ethic and drive to get better. last, consider that he is an absolute NATURAL point guard. what you come out with is an immediate impact player. a team changing player.

...if there is any way possible to get tj ford, you'd be absolutely nuts to pass over it. especially in favor of kirk heinrich.

i mean, seriously, i know i'm probably wrong, but i sometimes wonder if we just have to have a token white boy on the team or something. it's the only thing, to me, that makes reasonable sense, considering the absolute fanaticism i've seen over the years for complete scrubs like bryce, bullard, maloney, brooks, etc.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I hope this is a legitimate rumor. It sounds so much like trade scenarios we've posted on this site.

I don't know about pairing TJ and Steve in the same backcourt, but I like TJ's game, he's quicker than a greased rattlesnake going downhill with a 90 mph wind at his back (is that the old saying? I get'em mixed up). They'd give up a lot defensively in size, but they'd create havoc, too.

If we had an idea of how far into the luxury tax Les is willing to go, then it would be a little easier to speculate on potential trades.

I like Eddie's game, but that's a big contract. Do we acquire him to keep or to trade? And if to trade, then to which third team? (Might work for us in another department, too: keeping Eddie away from Minnesota, lurking in the wings with Terrell Brandon's expiring contract.)

Still, DaDakota is right. TJ is gonna be something special in the NBA. Me, I'd like to have the hometown kid here.

Question: how would Francis react to being 2nd/3rd favorite player on the team (after hometown TJ and can't-help-but-like-him Yao) when he probably stayed on, in part, as a favor to our former coach who traded 11 guys to get him?

Another question: would we consider trading Francis to a cap-space-free team like the Wizards, maybe a 3-team trade if necessary, addition by subtraction, if it helped get us Ford and another solid player? Or would that be too risky to what fan base we have?

(I hope this rumor isn't being started by a ROCKET!!!-like poster. Note how ROCKET!!! disappeared after last year's draft. Possibly a 2nd username taken as a lark by one of our more venerable posters.)

5. Nero

Nero Member

Now now.. don't go hatin on Air Bull .. that guy could flat-out shoot the 3 .. possibly the quintessential definition of 'role player' .. to borrow from Rudy - 'I love the guy!'

:)

6. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Sticking with the EJ plus the 5 pick scenario, I like the trade idea. It would be great to watch the Rockets move the ball better which TJ could certainly help the Rockets do. The Rockets were MUCH more successful last year when they moved the ball. It killed me to watch the dribble, dribble, shoot offense that Steve, Cat, and Moochie seem to like so much.

But, we would be VERY thin at the 4. Even when healthy, Eddie G is not one of the better starting PFs in the west. If Yao, Cato, or Eddie G went down with an injury, the Rockets would have major problems inside. It also seems like there's a pretty good chance we might lose Posey to free agency. Let's hope not.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, the Rockets fast break broke like the wind last year. :D

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If TJ is gonna be an impact player, why would Riley trade the pick? Somebody mentioned Riley's aversion to rooks, but he did fine with Butler. I think Riley dislikes rookies because he's played with lots of late round picks because he was usually on winning teams. So, if Ford is so special, it just proves that this trade talk is bogus. Why would Riley give that up for EG and Cat?

9. TheFelderFirm

TheFelderFirm Member

Do you think That Miami Gets Mobley,Taylor, Rice, With Butlor, Resign Mourning. 2nd round pick euro point gaurd. That they have a very legit chance to take the East? My God if I was Miami I'll do this trade,because Bosh or Ford is not going to do it for them! Plus JVG Brothers is and Asst. and with the ties he has with Pat Riley going back to NY. I think the Rocks have a good enough chance of pulling this off! Oh by the way if Kid goes to the West, Miami would want Vets more than rooks to get to the easy east road to the finals.

10. jshabang

jshabang Member

Exactly........Pure point guards don't have to be great shooters, just get everyone involved and TJ would do that

Jason Kidd, The so callled greatest point guard of our era can't shoot his way out of a paper bag, and he's still the mecca of point guards

We don't need another point guard trying to score 20 plus a game, we need a distributor, trust me TJ will be fine

Although I do believe we need some type of shooter to break zones at maybe the 3 spot

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Where did you get that from. Heinrich and Kansas were constantly running. I was very impressed with Heinrichs ability to push the ball up the floor and set up the offense quickly. He reminds me of Nash.

I would say the differences are Ford is better at penetrating and dishing. Heinrich has a better outside shot. They can both run the break well. I would agree that Heinrich is better for the Rockets because they need an outside shooter. They have Francis as the penetrator.

12. jshabang

jshabang Member

Heinrich is good also, but TJ is special as far as point guards are concerned

Certain pure point only come along ever so often

Hell, theres only 2 real true pure point guards out there now

Kidd and Payton.....with nash and very distant third and one of the masters retiring(stockton)

So TJ is pure, and if we can get him theres no way we should pass on Pure Point Guard or PPG's as I like to call them

So in review
    TJ = PPG
    Heinrich=Good shooter, above average point guard, wall agree he's no Kidd or Payton.

Which would you rather??????

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The Rockets worked out TJ, correct? I remember they didn't work out Griffin (and that was probably a mistake). If they really liked what the saw in the workout, then I trust their judgement on this one, as I am on the fence. Although I definitely see Ford as being the much much much better NBA player than Heinrich(sp?)

14. Bullard's Ghost

Yeah, please watch the Bullard remarks:)

15. c2u4erm

c2u4erm Member

please nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! According to reports aroung the league, the Rockets are in hot pursuit of T.J. Ford or Kirk Hinrich ------ i wouldnt take either player with the 50th pick in the draft ---- both are college players not nba players!!! :confused:

16. ima_drummer2k

We can't draft NBA players, we can only draft college players.

17. verse

verse Contributing Member

YEAAAA!! we should draft duncan instead!!! or if shaq's around in the 2nd round, we should draft him!!! :confused:

18. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Like I'm going to believe that mess. Where did you get your info?

If that is true Miami gets the better end of that deal.

I would take if they offered Brian Grant instead of Eddie Jones.

We need muscle on the front line.

TJ Ford is not that good (at the pro level).

19. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Mobley, Taylor and a future round pick for TJ Ford and Eddie Jones? HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. WHy would you want to take Eddie Jones' contract? TJ Ford is NOT the answer. He's a good college player but is not going to be a good pro. He's barely 6 feet tall I believe. That would make the Rockets the smallest backcourt in the league. I remember last season 90% of Rocket fans did NOT want YAO and wanted Jay Williams and what a bust he was. Now you want an unproven player who is NOT better than Jay Willams? I would take Mobley over TJ Ford any day. Mobley played under control last season and had a good season. THe Rockets don't need to overhaul their entire roster for unproven and too short TJ Ford and an aging and expensive Eddie Jones. Francis is the point guard of this team and will continue to be. He WILL turn into the player everyone wants him to be once he has a competent group of players around him. So many times he would pass the ball to WIDE open players and they would brick shots. I just think Rockets fans need to be patient and stop trying to trade all the assets for liabilities which is what TJ ford and JOnes will be.

20. ima_drummer2k

Exactly. Everyone knows that short point guards who were great in college always turn out to be horrible NBA players. I mean, look at Isiah Thomas. He was a...

Wait a minute...