1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Talking Trade???

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hrce11, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

If you have a source inside the team, then how come you had to ask us about the new jerseys?

I wouldn't do this. TJ Ford is gonna make a horrible pro. He can't shoot. How many of you honestly think this team gets better with him bricking from the PG spot? It'll take a while for him to even reach his potential. Who was better in college, Ford or Jay Williams? How was Williams first pro year? See where I am going with this?

Jones's defence would be an upgrade at the 2, but i think somebody said he would slide to the 3 and Francis to the 2, well Jones as a SF doesn't excite me at all.

Besides, I've heard that the Raptors were high on Ford and were planning to take him with the 4th pick.

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

this is the same guy who was asking about the new uniforms. I'm sure his inside source would have more info on that than us posters??? right???

i don't believe it and i'll bet it never happens

3. a la rockets

a la rockets Contributing Member

Yeah,I was thinking the same.
    I feel that the main reason the ppl around here want him is that he's a former Longhorn,because he's clearly doesn't fit the idea of moving SF to the 2.
    Any ways,I don't think we realy need a pass first PG...just a G that dominates less the ball!Add to that that he needs to be tall and strong and ur leaning more towards the kansas guy.

ALA

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

O'neal is a free agent.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The "Ballboy" sang like a canary. Now he sleeps with the fishies.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

TJ Ford...NOT START !!!

Forgive me while I wipe the Dr. Pepper off my monitor.

TJ Ford is an IMPACT player in the mold of Isaiah Thomas, he is a game changer, Kirk Hienrich is a player who will have marginal impact in the NBA over the course of his career, the best upside for Heinrich is Hornacek style. However, for TJ, he has all star potential.

You don't need a tall backcourt with Ming and Cato at the rim.....

TJ Ford instantly add 5+ wins to this team and that is as a rookie.

You don't have to LEARN to play PG, when it comes naturally boys............

TJ Ford will be a stud in the NBA, in the Jason Kidd style of player.

And one more thing...passing is contangios, TJ is just what the Doctor ordered for my Rocks.

DD

7. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

exactly, Dada.

Van Gundy likes to do many things with his defense, including applying full court pressure. Ford is lightning quick, and can be very pesky for opponents.

Ford did measure out a little over 6-0, and Francis has said he'd put on more muscle if he were to move to the 2. That backcourt would be as big as Philadelphia. I could care less about the size in the backcourt, with guys like Yao, Cato, and Griffin- the guards won't be able to get close enough inside to abuse them. Kidd is one of the bigger PGs in the game, and rarely was he able to abuse Claxton, who's an inch shorter and 1 pound heavier than Ford according to nba.com, inside.

Oski- Jay Williams played SG in college. That's why he struggled this year. Williams played with possibly another 3 first round picks (MD Jr., Duhon, Jones) and a guy who should've been (Boozer). Who else on UT's team will be drafted? Thomas probably, then maybe Ivey goes round 2.

If the guy were 2 inches taller, people would be calling him a quicker, faster, more athletic version of Andre Miller. Despite Miller's recent Clipper woes, that's a good thing.

8. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

What separates TJ Ford from other point guards is his vision.

9. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

TJ Ford is like a lot of other Fords: not likely to start without a lot of work.

10. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

TJ Ford if you want a fast running team with lots of offensive punch. Heinrich if you want slower controlled half court style game with strong outside shooting. The downsides will be either taking a smaller defensive backcourt or a slower offensive style by choosing one over the other. As much as I like Ford, it seems going with Heirich is the safer road. But that's what makes the draft so fun, rolling the dice and seeing what you get.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I may be in the minority, but I still don't like the idea of steve playing the 2. I don't think he makes shooting decisions quick enough to play the 2 plus one of his advantages will be negated against strongr guys. I would much rather add that pure scorer/shooter in houston to play along side Francis instead of a carbon copy in Mobley. I just don't see the advantage of Francis playing like Iverson. On top of that, i doubt van gundy will have him taking 22-27 shots per gmae for this team like Iverson does with Philly. Its really a moot point if you ask me.

12. TheFelderFirm

TheFelderFirm Member

Tj wants to play for the Rockets. People who knows him knows that; and the Rockets knows that;so enough of this!:eek:

13. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the biggest problems with having a defensively challenged backcourt is that the frontcourt must always pick up the slack. Whenever that happens, you often see one of two scenarios:

1) The frontcourt players get into foul trouble, or

2) The frontcourt players must leave their man to cover the penetrator, which leaves him open. The opposing player who's already blown by our backcourt then dishes off an unguarded player for an easy basket.

I haven't watched Ford (not a big NCAA fan) but if his defense is really that suspect, we're going to see Ming on the bench alot in foul trouble. I somehow doubt that any benefits that Ford would bring would outweigh the problems caused by his and Francis' matador defense. And when you consider that our D would be further weakened by an undersized SF (EJ), I don't like our chances.

I agree that Grant would be a better fit, and if it were possible, I would rather have Reece Gaines (PG/SG combo) drafted (though #5 would be way too high for him).

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Keep in mind, just one year ago, Steve declared that a point guard would not be drafted. Even if Van Gundy wanted to draft a point guard he would first have to win Francis over. And I know, Francis has mentioned playing the two in some All star quote and what not, but It seemed like that was out of context, and just for fun. Whereas the lottery quote was a little more intense given that every body knew Jay Williams was available and it was obvious that Francis had been thinking about that scenario. I can't imagine either one of these guys getting drafted by the Rockets. Especially Hinrich. That's the last guy we need if you ask me. In my opinion he will be neutralized in the nba.

15. johnheath

johnheath Member

Ford is going to be a special player, and NBA execs know this. Forget about ever seeing Ford wearing a Rockets uniform- it won't happen.

Ford will be an immediate impact player in the NBA. He is the best true point guard to come out of college in a long while, in my humble opinion. He will immediately be able to beat 90% of NBA PGs off the dribble, and his court vision reminds me of Magic Johnson. He will get his teammates involved, and make them better.

Yes, he needs work on his shooting and defense, but a good athlete can improve immensely in these areas.

16. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Didn't Kansas run like the wind!?

17. prlen

prlen Member

C Yao
    PF E Brand
    SF Posey
    SG Steve
    PG Kidd

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, but Kirk's weaknesses were running them into TO's and offensive fouls. Kansas forced the break and were successful but I doubt Heinrich's abilities to force the break in the NBA.

19. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Yes Kansas ran the ball, but I'm referring to the individual type player that Heirich is compared to Ford. Ford is quicker and more athletic getting down the court and finding the open man. Heinrich is also pretty quick, but he was known to get down and position himself for those long open shots. Taking their individual abilities into account and how they would fit into an NBA scheme of things is different from how they played in college.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If we are gonna have a small backcourt, Van Gundy has to make the guards play the passing lanes, and overplay, funneling the dribblers into the big men.

If we make that trade, we'd better keep Cato and make sure we have 24 fouls to give from our big men. And we'd better get some big time defense and boards from our 4 (hmmmmm, Cato at the 4?)