1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets take Royce White with 16th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Do you like the pick of Royce White at #16 for the Rockets?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. NO

203 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Royce defintley a SF.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I really really like this guy - I hope we clear some room for him to play.

DD

3. zcity

zcity Contributing Member

He is going to wreck the Summer League . . . Can't wait.

4. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

yea thats been the knack on scola forever but theres a reason Scola continuously beats out his comp: experience, grit, heart, motor, the intangibles are through the roof and hes invaluable out there scrappin and giving opposing 4's fits

everything ur saying about White sounds good but hes not going to come and simply replace Scola, ur undervaluing and underappreciating the ice cream man

Royce will have to produce on a high level night in and night out, and at least in this stage of their playing careers, Scola does that.. Rookies are inconsistent so it may take a whole season, maybe 2 if Scola isnt traded

5. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

no, hes a tweener

his offensive game is that of a point/SF, defense of a PF.. his lateral quickness isnt good enough to defend the 3

oddly unique gifted player

6. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Yes he's a tweener but he will be a physical SF that uses his PF skills frequently. As for the lateral quickness, oh well it's not like anyone in the NBA plays defense anyways.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I know that there are a lot who have not seen Royce White play outside of youtube so the questions about position fit and his lack of a jump shot are understandable. But I have to shake my ahead about the other "truisms" being bandied about here: no athleticism, no defense, no position, weak rebounder, lack of effort (lackadaisical), etc.

These "truths" could not be farther from reality. White is a PG, with PF strength, a wingspan of a C, and the height of a SF. He has room to improve of course, but he has great hops (prolific rebounder and dunker), low post defense, mature offensive game (other than the jump shot), incredible BB IQ to go along with his court vision and Magic-esque ball handling.

This kid is unique and in the right system, he should be a special player. Hoiberg thinks that McHale will use him the right way. The IA system is very similar to what McHale uses in Houston. And the bottom line is White may not be the traditional (fill in the blank position) but he is a basketball player. And McHale LOVES basketball players. Guys who are gym rats and who just eat, drink and sleep basketball.

I for one, can't wait to see this kid play.

1 person likes this.
  8. Egghead

Egghead Member

mediocre

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Solid player, good dude. Wants to succeed.

10. withmustard

withmustard Member

Far below mediocre. I could be mistaken but wasn't his FT % in the 20's. He's half the shooter Shaq is from FT line. I do like his chances of correcting his shot.

11. withmustard

withmustard Member

Nevermind, I'm completely wrong. Sorry for bad info

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

The more I'm reading up on this guy, the more I like him. I hope we move multiple players to make some playing time for him. A little torn though on how DoMo and him will be able to get enough time at the 4 to develop since I really like them both. Anyone see how that's going to work out?

13. finsraider

finsraider Member

Point forward is the best description ive heard for him so far. The offense will move through him, so he needs to be surrounded by guards and a PF that can drive the lane and hit the open jumper (fits lamb and Motie to a T). We shouldn't need a typical PG with him on the floor, but we do need a dominate defensive center to protect the paint (Asik).

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In comparison to the King yes.... he might get to be a Prince....someday

15. marothisu

marothisu Member

I don't think anybody can say truly how his jumper is because he barely took any this year. He didn't need to, but he did drain some threes this year, including going 2-4 against Missouri.

Again, watch this to see how his jump shot actually is. It's from 10 days ago. He drains two alone just in this video from the same game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6f5not36X8

If he couldn't shoot, he couldn't even make those, let alone two. He has a jump shot, and it's not amazing, but the amount of false crap going on in here about it is quite amazing. He barely took a jump shot last year, because he didn't need to. He was responsible for getting guys open, and pounding it inside. He could get inside at will versus 99% of the teams he faced last year, so there was no need to take a lower percentage shot when you can dunk it or lay it in anyway.

16. slamburger

slamburger Member

17. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

I don't think that's an issue.Doesn't look like he needs to be blindfolded and forced onto the plane.

[​IMG]

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He reminds me of Jim Jackson. Not comparing the two other than how they move and are built.

19. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Jim Jackson? The shooting guard from Ohio State and drafted by the Mavs in the 90s? :confused: I don't see it.

20. marothisu

marothisu Member

I think the coast to coast Dunk vs. Anthony Davis has been posted in here. He had a number of impressive moves against Kentucky actually

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sport...a950-0019bb2963f4.html?utm_source=ncaa_banner

Hope this embed works, otherwise the above will give you that:

<object width="620" height="389" id="embed" classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cyclones.com/mediaPortal/embed.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="flashVars" value="catid=1005&id=855476&server=http://www.cyclones.com/XML/titanv3/&pageurl=http://www.cyclones.com/mediaPortal/&jtv=10700&skin=10700&gaa=UA-8528549-1&sitename=aff.iowast.iowastdaily" /><embed name="embed" pluginspage="http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer" src="http://www.cyclones.com/mediaPortal/embed.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="620" height="389" quality="high" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" flashVars="catid=1005&id=855476&server=http://www.cyclones.com/XML/titanv3/&pageurl=http://www.cyclones.com/mediaPortal/&jtv=10700&skin=10700&gaa=UA-8528549-1&sitename=aff.iowast.iowastdaily"></embed></object>