1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets take Royce White with 16th pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jun 28, 2012.

?

Do you like the pick of Royce White at #16 for the Rockets?

1. YES

460 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. NO

203 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Morey just said on the radio that Royce has the highest ceiling of anyone on the roster. He then added Lamb's name, but it seemed clear that Royce is his favorite player.

2. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

I am excited about this pick. Morey got a baller.

3. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

To me this guys seems a little like a young Ron Artest, which if he turns out to be Artest without the insanity, is a good thing. I also don't understand the logic behind comments, like Morris was supposed to be a big 3 as well and look how that turned out. Just because one guy struggles with the transition to the NBA, it has no bearing on what White will do. Each guy is a unique individual.

4. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

So, what's his position? Can he play SF and rely on post ups? Can he defend faster guys? Can he maybe even developes into a PG creating a massive miss match for other teams?

Or is he a crafty undersized PF in the Barkley mold?

I like, that Morey is going with high risk high reward guys, but I'm still struggling to see how they fit on the floor...

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Artest/Anthony Mason

6. justtxyank

Ahahahahahaha

A guy on 790 just freaked out about Royce White calling him low ceiling, low athleticism, short, Boris Diaw, headcase and then called him a r****d before getting hung up on. LOL

7. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Pretty...sad...there are a lot of folks that have a legit fear of flying...and benzo's dont help...for some...but it will require conditioning..but at the same time...once he is on a charter jet...he is going to feel a bit differently...

One point on Royce White...I was hoping that they picked up Zeller at 16 and then targeted getting Royce...I think the Mavs would have gone with Terrence Jones...just imo

8. Cyclones

Cyclones Member

I dont see him playing a point in the true meaning of the position. I see him running the point at times like a Lebron (in no way am I comparing him to LJ). He did however bring the ball up the court more times than not at ISU. This worked because he would just keep driving, blow past his man and get to the basket. If stopped hed send a jaw dropping pass to either a slashing player or a 3 point shooter on the wing. He was a nightmare for defenders.

I like the poster that spoke of "The Dream" working with him. That makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

9. eman

eman Contributing Member

Can he shoot?

10. justtxyank

Morey said that Boston and Dallas were both trying to trade into that spot. With the rumors that Boston really wanted Royce White, I bet the feeling from the Rockets was that if they let Royce go by them that Boston would trade in and grab him before they could pick again.

I can't say it enough, but Morey really seems to like Royce.

11. dreamshakin

dreamshakin Member

I completely agree. We should have gotten Zeller at 16, and I'm positive we could of got Royce at 18. We do not need Jones at all. Plus Cleveland offered so much for Zeller! pisses me off that we could have had another 4 picks :mad::mad:

12. Cyclones

Cyclones Member

Its not the flying, its getting to the airport without freaking out that is the problem. Either way, hes never missed a flight.

If the rockets become his "family" and he feels safe and comfortable he will be fine. Hoiberg considers Mchale family, and Royce trusts Freddy. Here is a quote from an article from last night :

"The overall feel is that the basketball atmosphere in Houston will be similar to what White has been experiencing in Ames for the past two years. Hoiberg’s close friendship with McHale played a major part in how this went down.

“Royce will succeed anywhere where he has trust and knows that somebody has his back,” said Abdelmassih. “We know where are sending him basically home. That’s home for us. Kevin McHale is home. It’s perfect.”

That’s all off the court stuff. Ever since Hoiberg landed his current job in Ames, he’s openly discussed how he’s molded his coaching style based off of guys he has played for in the past. This is one example.

“It couldn’t be any better just because of the innovative style that Kevin McHale plays,” said Abdelmassih. “Out of the box like post, kind of like Fred.”

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Thank god we didn't trade back - if there is one thing we don't need it's more low round rookies. Just grab the guys with the highest ceiling and hope that one of them turns into an all star. White has that ability and several teams really seemed to like him, so he actually has some trade value as well (maybe in a Rondo trade).

14. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Kevin McHale will help him become a scorer...McHale will help Royce

15. srrono

srrono Member

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd love to have a player that has a bond with the organization, that would like to spend his whole career in houston as a rocket. Royce sounds like that guy, but theres no way with the way morey acts is he's gonna be happy. If somebody is going to have major issues with being thrown around in trade talks left and right, sounds like it would be royce.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Couple things about White.

He has two holes in his game, shooting and defending the perimeter.

I think those can be covered a little by him being able to defend the post. He doesn't have to defend the same guy that is defending him. I do think he will be defending the weaker scorer of the SF or PF and maybe C when he is on the court.

On the offensive end he is going to cause all kinds of problems for opposing teams. I can see us lining up with:

Dragic - defends point
    White - defends weaker offensive post player
    Parsons - defends SG
    Jones/Patterson - defends SF
    DMo - defends other post player

Look at teams like the Thunder and Heat, they both have guys on the court like Haslim or Perkins that White could defend and not get punished but who is going to defend him?

Anyway, I think it will be interesting to see how they use him. It will also be interesting to see if he turns out to be bat $hit crazy or not.

18. sgl_carlos

sgl_carlos Member

He looks happy to be in Houston. He retweets every fan that tweets him.

19. Cyclones

Cyclones Member

I agree 100% with you. The guy can defend, its just hes not an elite defender. The great quote from an opposing coach this year was, "ya he needs to defend better, problem is there isnt anyone in the league that can guard him"

Matchup nightmare. Also, he 100% isnt bat**** crazy, educate yourself man.

20. PrawnJ

PrawnJ Member

Please keep this guy. He is going to be something special