1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets suffer 40% drop in local television ratings...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thekad, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Reasons are obvious:
    #1 Rockets are not the most exciting team to watch, especially for people in Houston who have other teams to cheer for

#2 The actual 'show' gone down the drain with no interesting pre-game show, nothing during half-time and Clyde Drexler

#3 Money and time, people have better things to do than to pay for something they can stream and choose to watch better commentary.

For me personally the opponent's commentary is way better and respectful towards the Rockets mainly because of the change McHale has brought and Lowry.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Agree with this whole paragraph. Pretty much exactly how I feel.

The bolded part is the part that bothers me the most. At least in 83 we had a target in mind (Ralph).

Building a team around Pau Gasol and Nene? Yeah....no thanks. I don't know why our FO seems so obsessed with Gasol. Boggles my mind. He's a soft version of Scottie Pippen. Remember when we acquired Pippen? That ended well.

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Excellent post.

I'm tired of the constant speculation about the next big trade. I just want to enjoy the games and root for the team. I think it's sad that so many people here at Clutchfans seem to be angry and miserable because we don't have a team full of "superstars". I've enjoyed the season so far, and I look forward to seeing what the team can do the rest of the season. I've seen past Rocket teams barely make the playoffs and then go on great runs deep into the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  4. Hightop

Hightop Member

You don't KNOW that at all. I think it would have would have been good to give it a chance and have some player recognition. We definitively needed some new blood. The ratings seem to support this.

I also don't understand why people justify Stern's authoritative rejection of the legal trade just because they didn't like it themselves.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Meh. Who is surprised?! :eek:

#85 J.R., Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Take that Stern! The message is clear: give us young stars, give us talent that we can dream about getting good enough to one dy win the title. Rig the draft like youdo for other financially struggling teams.

I am probably the same like the rest of you fans who is frustratedat running in place, but unlike the rest of you I as a rockets fan am prepared to get into a war of attrition withmy NBA fandom to try to gain a more imminent prospect for contention. So screw the NBA, may they go down in flames until they cater to our demands.

And this whole argument about Yao hold no water to me. He hasn't been on our team for effectively 2.5 seasons. Why would Chinese fans all of. Sudden stop watching now?

1 person likes this.
  7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't think he's more obsessed with Gasol than he is than say with Dwight Howard.

It's just that Gasol is likely to be traded, so he's available.

I disagree the Rockets aren't enjoyable. This has been a pretty fun season so far. They are 21-14.

8. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

IT seems like Rocket fans (at least on this board) are so consumed with what big names the team can acquire that they cant even enjoy the games. I guess the ratings are down because expectations were low to start the season. Even posters on here complaining about their unhappiness with the team and record act like they dont even realize we're winning games. Why would a casual fan watch when a "clutch" fan wont even support the players.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one has mentioned...

Small sample size.

Let's see where things stand at the end of the season.

10. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

this is what happens when your franchise has been stuck in mediocrity for over a decade.

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Repped!

In a nutshell, see bold.

12. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

This trade for a superstar may never happen. Since fans have nothing concrete to point to, and our current team could make the second round at best, we have no hope. If we were in line for a top 5 pick, then we could pin our hopes on that. That pick might be the next Thabeet, but nobody ever thinks that going in.

13. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

This exact thing happened to me. I was thinking about getting a jersey (probably Martins) but decided not to until maybe after the deadline (and even then) just because of this reason.

14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It's not me that's consumed with it, it's the Rockets FO. That's kind of the point some of us are trying to make...

I'd love to see Morey just come out and say "This is our team. These are the guys we're going to war with. I believe we can win a championship with this team." That would do wonders for my interest and I would go back to being the die-hard Rocket fan I was a few years ago.

Again........it's not about our current record. Can't emphasize this enough, apparently...

15. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

Oh my bad, was viewing this on my phone and did not realize it was a percent change.

Nevermind.

16. Hightop

Hightop Member

Why? He tried to make a trade for need front court players and it was pushed back in his face. It would be so transparent.

Now if he said that after getting Gasol and Nene it could be a different story.

17. bread and budin

People want to watch stars, or see the high profile rookie / young player... This shouldn't bother ownership, they should be smart enough to know that our team does not have this surface appeal to the general public.

Although, if you do pay attention and are a basketball fan, you do realize the true value of Lowry or Scola or Parsons and you will tune in, truth is most basketball viewership is casual.

18. ThaShark316_28

We had one. That's why I didn't understand why so many folks hated the Gasol trade. It was a directional move. "Now we know what we want to do!"

It's someone guys you feel will be around, and you find yourself rooting harder for those guys. Patterson, Lowry, Lee. Those 3, you can't help but root for because they have all sorts of heart, will, etc.

As for the ratings, oh well. The "lack of stars" comments just shows how awful a lot of Houston sports fans are.

19. ThaShark316_28

Rocket fans have lowkey agreed with the "you only won because MJ left" sentiment.

20. conquistador#11

so much for winning cures everything.
    I hope that Mauryball gets the message. We're all assets in one way or another but you don't have to be so blunt about it. how can you have any pudding when you don't eat yer meat, maury!?