1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets strategy moving from 26 to 29?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, Jun 24, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're on the team still now which is what I'm talking about. it makes plenty of sense for everything I've posted

EG should have been traded a long time ago yet hes still here. And there were already talks of Schroeder being extended. So as of now yeah they're still here

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Future draft picks are currency in the NBA. Drafted players that play in G League are typically not as valuable as the pick used to acquire them.

Next year, the Rockets will have cap space and 2 more draft picks. I'm not saying acquiring TyTy is completely meaningless. If Rockets keep him for a few years, it is going to cost the Rockets value elsewhere as the Rockets consolidate. I doubt Rockets are going to get fair value when they try to consolidate as I doubt teams will be banging down the door for TyTy, Nix, KJ, etc. (i.e., they are going to have some wasted value).

3. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Meaningless for what exactly? This current season? The future? Maybe we are using different definitions.

4. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

All 3 guys probably won't be good. Sure we will probably lose a few but having options is good imo. PG isn't a strong position for the team.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Losing guys for nothing or little is wasteful. A guy that blossoms on another team because he got traded due to few roster spots doesn't help.

Having options are good. Having to make trades on a schedule typically leads to lower value.

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

Not that it has anything to do with anything, but the Warriors really could have been looking at a future lineup of TyTy / Moody / Poole / Kuminga / Wiseman. That's insane.

smoothie likes this.
  7. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

One argument I'd make is that backup PG is a bit like the backup QB position in the NFL, and the backup catcher position in MLB; ideally the quality of the player occupying the role should not really matter since they should be rarely used if everything is going according to plan. But if you don't have a good one in place, you could easily throw away an entire season, because PG/QB/C are all very mentally demanding positions that require a very specific set of skills and experience, and very few teams are willing to just turn them over to a rookie straight away.

So you've got two options; either you constantly churn through veterans every year, often overpaying for guys you know are below average but are at least competent, or you keep on adding young guys every year even when you don't need them and hope that you eventually are able to hit on someone who can stick for a couple years.

It's not glamorous, and it might feel like you're letting value rot away every year, until you've got a Finals berth on the line and you need to guard John Stockton with Matt Maloney.

If you don't have much faith in Nix, then I would think you would be even more in support of bringing in TyTy as a potential replacement. If the Rockets believe in the talent of TyTy, but feel he was misused at Kentucky, a G-League redshirt year would do wonders for him as he transitions to a full-time PG. And in my opinion, if he's not a lead guard, he really doesn't have any other major carrying skills that are going to keep him in the league, so you'd better find out now if he can play now. He might be here a year early, but I'd rather that entering next summer feeling completely tied to KPJ, and also needing to address the back-up role as well.

TheJuice likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

Don’t be surprised if Ty Ty is ahead of Nix and possibly playing close to starter minutes by late next year.

Washington played a lot of last year hurt and that hurt his play and production. He has the skills to be a successful point guard in the NBA.

csnerd84, jiggyfly and TheJuice like this.
  9. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I agree but I don't see how TyTy puts us on a schedule. If all the guys look good you can always trade future picks for later picks. If they don't you draft more guys to compete with guys you aren't sold on.

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

They know some of the younger players will fail, so that is part of the equation.

11. TheJuice

TheJuice Member

For sure. Statistically most drafted players DON'T have a meaningful career.

Nook likes this.
  12. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Wait wut?

Your backup pg is going to play every game and will be a major part of the rotation.

It's nothing like a backup up catcher or backup QB.

gmoney411 likes this.
  13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

OMG, the 29th pick is not Chris Paul, WTF?

TheJuice and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

At one point, I thought @ch44 said they had been interested in Malaki Branham, too. He went off the board around 20. But this is all speculation.

smoothie likes this.
  15. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Older analysis showed that the average backup catcher starts about 1/3 of the games. I'm guessing this is even higher with the universal DH now.

Analysis done in 2017, showed that teams needed about an average 2-3 starts from their backup QB on any given year. Slightly less than a backup PG, to be fair, but the point still stands that you really should have a good one capable of taking over.

My point here is that in a perfect world, your backup is probably going to be playing less than a quarter during the playoffs if you have a star PG, excepting some kind of dual PG lineup which I think is becoming increasingly rare. It feels uniquely bad to invest big resources into the position with simultaneously the least versatility and the longest development time. So I don't really hate taking a shot on a PG that might have higher potential than normal with a pretty low value asset, even if TyTy might not have as clear a path to starting as Jabari or Tari. Because if TyTy hits, he's a great value that can fill a critical role without needing to spend big bucks.

16. alethios

alethios Member

This - I think once they saw Beauchamp was gone, their plan B kicked into effect. Goodbye, KPJ?

smoothie likes this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude WTF are you going on about?

The backup PG plays every game.

And every player you draft does not have to be a starter to be a good pick, he was the 29th pick how is that a low-value asset?

This team is so bad nobody has a clear pecking order he could end up being the starter for all we know.

If he is in the rotation for a good playoff team we are way ahead.

You enture argument is based on being a starter which makes zero sense just look at Eric Gordon.