1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets stonewalled: no individual workout w/ Mobley nor Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 25, 2021.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I mean it seems like an easy enough choice to cut kpj and draft mobley. it also seemed obvious to keep Jarret Allen in the harden deal instead of using him to dump prince's contract.

look maybe green just doesn't look as good as he should since there's no spacing, no passing, no PG, no coaching, no structure... maybe he proves to be on mobley's level, and we end up drafting a big next year anyway. maybe green and Paolo is a better future long term than mobley, Allen, and a late lotto pick. we have to wait and see.

everyday eddie, Easy and withmustard like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Mobley is too big to get 1 point and go 0-11.....Jalen yes.....Mobley no.

juanming likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

zeeshan2, snowconeman22 and hakeem94 like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

imo there is one thing that trumps the elite rim protector w/ full package skillset..... a guy who can break down the defense w/ elite 1st step n athleticism late in the 4th to get buckets

also imo it's way too early to declare mobley or green will end up as these guys, respectively. mobley has obviously been killing it and green has shown glimpses, but as we've seen w/ so many young players things can turn out much different (ie we thought kpj was gonna be 20/10 MIP this year lol)

7. TimDuncanDonaut

Olynyk is not a savior but he fit better with the read & react system that Silas was trying to run.

And y'all have to admit the Rocker offense with most same group of guys looked better last year than this year.

Also on Kelly's production, he comes off the bench in Detroit as opposed to a starter with us. As much as Kelly lacked in defense, it's not like Theis is stopping the McGees of the world. Part of that is Wood, if only Wood had more post defense all the burden don't have to be lifted by Theis, Sengun or Tate.

As good as Tate, I cringe when he has to defend other team's tall 5, I'm like where the F is rest of team?

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  8. bj3175

bj3175 Member

we got the right guy but mobley and Cunningham have more structure to what they are doing

Dobbizzle likes this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I wish Jalen pulled a Stevie.

10. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Mobley was also playing with some elbow strain which hindered his shot.
    Yet he's only -8 in his last game. Mobley impacts the game so much more. He's doing things that we really could use right now. He defends from wings to bigs. His Basketball instincts are through the roof. Because of his size he'll also eventually be able to get a very good scoring game. Jaylen green was still a -12 in the Celtics game he scored 30.
    This isn't a Harden situation where there were two guys in Westbrook and Durant who were drafted a couple years before him and already established and taking all the shots. Jalen green has had plenty of chances to show us what he can do.
    This is why Morey has always said you take the best player in the draft and go from there. This is like Portland saying they aren't drafting Jordan because they have Drexler or if the Rockets didn't draft Hakeem because they had Ralph.
    Either way what's done is done. Hopefully Stone can get us out of this disaster/mess.

D-rock, vlaurelio and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

D-rock likes this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I still have confidence in Jalen! I know he hasn’t shown us as much as we would have liked, but I believe that he’ll get there! Work ethic is one of those things that can’t be taught, and all signs point to Green’s work ethic being great.

That said, Mobley is an absolute stud and I think his future is incredibly bright.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I disagree

You draft not to what the player is now but to what the player will be.

10 pounds of muscle added to Green changes everything dramatically.

He then absorbs contact as he gets in the lane and finishes with greater precision. Defends to
    a greater extent as he holds his ground better. We've seen glimpses of that like when he blocked
    Tatum as Tatum was bullying him near the rim. Michael Jordan experienced the "Jordan Rules"
    by the Bad Boys Pistons which was knock down Jordan every chance you get in order to
    where him down. Throw his shot off accordingly. Jordan then worked like a fend in the
    weight room to get stronger. To absorb contact better. Green will do the same. He may
    not become Jordan but his game transforms with added muscle just the same.

+/- can also be a reflection of your teammates as well. Green and Porter are trying to figure
    things out at the same time as facilitators. Mobley's role with the Cavs is different.
    I posted yesterday that Mobley's scoring is 70% (69.6%) assisted by others in the 2-pt
    range and 100% in the 3-pt range. So Mobley is not creating his shot much at all.
    He sits around looking pretty as others drive and kick. Sexton, Garland have
    been running the Porter/Green roles longer. They with Rubio do that better. Draw the
    attention or gravity of the defense and pass to others. So yes the negative of
    Green will be high because of turnovers as the point of attack (which Mobley is not)
    and clashing with Porter as Harden and Lin did as well.

If you think it's easy learning how to play point guard at the NBA level, it's not. But the
    end result of a 6'5-ish" Green or 6'7-ish" Porter driving and kicking passes could be off
    the charts as they are a threat to drive and finish in the lane with authority plus see
    over the top of many defenders trying to check them on the perimeter. It's priceless.

My understanding the Mobley sprained elbow came in the 4th quarter; which removed
    him from the rest of the final 11 minutes of the game. Earlier in the season the Cavs
    we're using Mobley 53% of the time at SF and 39% of the time at PF and 8% at center.
    Now the Cavs are using him 27% at SF, 43% at PF and 30% at Center.

So he strained an elbow. I've said you don't want someone that skinny defending
    PF' and Centers in the NBA too long. I'm not sure if Mobley fell or by wrestling
    with some of the bears in this league that lead to the injury. Maybe blocking a
    shot? But fighting for position night in and night out with some of these players
    can set a player up for injuries. I've said it with Ralph Sampson and with C Wood.
    Keep them at Small Forward. Until they getting stronger.

I'll say it again as I've said a million times......don't play Christian Wood at Center full time
    unless you want him missing stretches of 10 to 20 games at a time. Keep his butt on the
    perimeter. Then trade him at the deadline. Why I'm not a fan of Chet Holmgren either.
    Having to wrestle with bears tends to hamper your shot. Durant can adjust....but will
    Chet?

#554 ApacheWarrior, Nov 16, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

why trade wood?! LOL
    why not trade green? green can only dream of becoming a player of woods caliber...oh yeah! if only....

is the bad coaching starting to influence your judgement?

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

No, Wood has people fooled into thinking he is a PF slash fulltime Center.
    Wants max money accordingly.

"You are d***** if you do, d***** if you don't" scenario.

Wood wants the ball more and doesn't just want to handout on the perimeter.
    Ok, we play him more in PnR and he twists his little ankles like last year.
    Guess what, Wood will be out for chunks of games like last year.

I'm a big believer Eric Gordon was always hurt with New Orleans because
    of Pick and Roll. With Houston we asked him to do less PnR and saved his
    body by being more of a spot up shooter. Then last year Harden left and
    Gordon was gone again. Don't get me wrong age has been hampering Gordon
    with nagging injuries for years now.

Wood wants max money; which means he needs to shine more.......which means
    he is going to get injured. How does that help.....us? The team long term?
    That's short term satisfaction of maybe winning a game or two. But the Rockets
    shouldn't be paying max money for a spot up shooter. Greatest ability is
    avail*ability. The next team can be the sucker thinking Wood can be a full time
    weapon. Let them pay him max money. Rockets should take the picks
    at the deadline.

Green is going to be a star. You don't trade Green at 19 when he is going to
    light the league up when he is 21. Jordan was skinny at age 19 and would
    have been bullied as well if he was in the college ranks. I've posted clips
    of MJ in the college championship games when he was 18/19 years of age.
    He must have been 185 pounds vs Georgetown. Zone defense helps
    cover the defensive flaws a ton.

If you don't have the patience, then I don't know what to tell you?
    Take up a hobby or root for the contenders if you want? Wood
    is making it known he is not happy with his role after the Denver
    game. Locked on Rockets podcast went into that as they discussed
    the Warriors game.

Anyone not happy gets sent out: Eric Gordon, House, Wall, and yes Wood
    if he so chooses. Coaching is not the reason Wood is playing on the
    perimeter.....it's the Wood fragile candy-@**-ness that forces the Rockets
    to play his fragile candy-@**-ness out on the perimeter.

BossHogg713 likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

18. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I always assume the taller top draft prospects are going to be more injury prone. Even if they don’t have a long injury history in college or high school. Just the strain of the NBA’s pace (along with the 82-game grind) on their larger bodies.

Dobbizzle and snowconeman22 like this.
  19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

man we missed out . Think of all the losses we could rack up . Mobley has both played better and now he’s helping the team tank as well . What you want from your top 3 pick ;)

D-rock likes this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Get yourself out of it, go support your boy Mobley and be happy.