1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets stonewalled: no individual workout w/ Mobley nor Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 25, 2021.

1. MystikArkitect

I actually liked that his dad was a coach but after the reports coming out it looks like we mightve dodged a bullet.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

can someone break down the relationship Mobley and KPJ had at USC?
    Rockets have to be the unluckiest franchise on earth.

my bad for the bump i posted in the wrong forum

D-rock and clos4life like this.
  3. dmoneybangbang

Did they play at the same time? I don't think they had a relationship besides being alumni.... and KPJ was suspended by USC so I'm not sure if he's even an alumni.

DreamShook likes this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

What do you think now?

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Mobley's dad was an assistant coach at USC when KPJ was suspended for season.

KPJ and Mobley likely had zero relationship.

Porter was the one who lobbied hard and very publicly for Green over Mobley before the draft.

It may have been personal and aimed towards Evan's dad.

Chamillionaire and DreamShook like this.
  6. TimDuncanDonaut

Is KPJ little finger? He cost us Mobley.

[​IMG]

Cavs got rid of KPJ, only for them to land Mobley a season later. Fate and destiny.

PeterKingX likes this.
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

good! alot of trash aau coaches want bigs to just rebound and give it to their 5'0 son

D-rock likes this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Mobley is more all round. Green will shine in time. He has shown flashes of his great talent. Mobley is benefitting from DG too.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that Mobley didn't want to be here makes it so that no matter what I will not regret us passing by him in the draft.

I want players that want to be in Houston, and if he doesn't want to be here it's only a matter of time before he forces his way out...or in Stevie Franchise's case, immediately

Dobbizzle and saleem like this.
  10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

It seemed to me that mobley's dad had a certain view of KPJ from their time together at USC and didn't want his son to on the same team as him. So they dodged the rockets in the draft. meanwhile, I have to believe that stone was aware of the reasoning coming from mobley's camp and decided to stick with KPJ and draft green, rather than be open to the idea of moving on from KPJ as a means to drafting mobley.

DreamR and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  11. TimDuncanDonaut

The fact that a player is only 3 years in and already has 'enemies' or just people don't want to do anything with you is not great. Not only is it a personal thing, but it indirectly could have affected an Org's ability to put a roster together in the name of 'good chemistry'.

This could be a 'time will tell' type of thing. But not getting Mobley because of KPJ is on the team could be one of Rocket's (Stone) biggest missed opportunity.

Always draft talent over 'fit'. The sad thing is, our two combo guards are not fitting that well either. So we lose on both ends.

#531 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 15, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Downtown Sniper and D-rock like this.
  12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

KPJ's problem is not a secret. We wouldn't have been able to get him from Cleveland so easily if not for his character issues. The Rockets were banking on being able to turn him around because of his obvious basketball talent. It was a gamble. My guess is that they did not know that it would be such a big concern to Mobley's dad. And it was not like Mobley was a clear choice over Green anyway.

Many CFers somehow acted like it's a certainty that KPJ would be our future PG star. That was kneejerk homerism. The kid's future remains to be an unknown. Character issues are rarely easily resolved. I've said it many times. John Lucas is not a mental magician. Don't expect miracles from him.

topfive likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stone showed his inexperience by allowing a player with limited history in Houston AND obvious off field decision making to directly or indirectly influence the future of the franchise.

Ineptness or naivete?

Either way, not a good look for Stone.

And if Silas was allowed to influence the decision, even worse.

We already know that Silas has little credibility evaluating fit OR talent due to his lobbying for Dipo in Harden trade, empowerment of House to be a creator AND choice to have Wall dominate ball instead of Harden.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ys-camp-has-a-level-of-disinterest-in-houston

D-rock likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

How so? Jonthan Givony, Kelly Iko and Jeremy Woo all are corroborating this information. It even evolved to the point where someone said that Mobleys camp thought the Rockets were only working him out to 'scout him for his weaknesses" or some idiotic thing like that. It was a fairly available and credible piece of information prior to the draft and any player who refuses a workout should be passed over in my opinion.

Clutch Fans is now a bad version of Lord of the Flies my guy. Devolved into tribes where folks only seem to get satisfaction by clowning on others and self servicing their own opinions and abilities to identify professional talent. Gone are the days of serviceable debate and fulfilling conversation.

You dont have to like the information presented, but thumbing your nose at it as if its disingenuous only seems to serve a certain portion of fans here.

Dobbizzle, topfive, DreamR and 2 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

This is still a rumor which was never substantiated by either Rockets or Mobley's team.

In fact, Mobley himself followed the Rockets vets on twitter prior to draft.

And said in several interviews that he LIKED the Rockets.

So I'm taking the actual player's own words over rumors from media by an unnamed source.

And we already know that Porter "tampered" by showing his preference for Green. This was done very publicly on twitter and Instagram.

DreamR likes this.
  18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

LOL - cmon man "tampered" ??? We all need to get a grip. You have to dance with who brung ya and if Green is a bust and Mobley turns out to be Kareem incarnate then you can pound your chest all you want - it still wont change a thing. Maybe find Pat Fertitta on LinkedIn and show him how you're a much better talent scout than Rafael Stone? Take your shot my dude!

I look at it like this --- this Houston team was not viewed as a desirable landing spot by many of the prospects. Too much flux and unknown. Mobley is in the perfect situation for him. No pressure. Nobody to convince. All he has to do is blend in with the vets on that team who make his job much MUCH easier. If he were here I highly doubt we would be seeing the best version of himself. The cracks in this franchise run deep and its really not that hard to believe that plenty of the young players in the draft wanted to avoid this team. Jalen is struggling mightily NO DOUBT - but look at what happens when he gets the ball -- everyone just stands around and watches. Why? Every single team we face sags like crazy from our "shooters" and packs the paint. I mean its not even the same offense when KPJ runs plays vs when Jalen gets the ball -- why? Im not going to go all conspiracy theorist, because the reality is that this years team was going to be bad no matter what. I just didnt think they would be the worst team of all time and that could actually come to fruition. Would Mobley have changed that? Is Mobley winning games by himself?

19. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have to agree with you on this. We have a lot of baskeballholic wannabes on this site that enjoy playing armchair GM more than anything else.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

You can continue the mental and emotional gymnastics all you like, i understand it's not easy to admit a mistake was made.

And there is no doubt in my mind that Rockets missed out on the better player.

Our only hope is that Green can grow into the player we all want him to be.

Verbal Christ likes this.