1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets stonewalled: no individual workout w/ Mobley nor Suggs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jul 25, 2021.

1. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

This is starting to sound like a case of, "You can't fire me, I quit!" on Mobley's part. It seems that he's probably not the pick, so he and his agent are going to try to save face by talking about how he "didn't really want to go to Houston," or something similar (aka "Houston isn't a good fit"). As if Cleveland is a grand prize.

King1, Omihall23, saleem and 5 others like this.
  2. AXG

AXG Member

No individual workouts; but what about for several teams?

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't blame this on Stone or Fertitta one bit; if Mobley's team got a guarantee at #3 from Cleveland then let him go to Cleveland. The top 3 teams finished with the same worst record in the NBA so neither really has a leg up in culture/environment. It would have been nice to see Mobley come in, work out, and make Stone's decision harder by putting together a monster performance.

saleem and Ramo$e like this.
  4. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

No individual workouts or combine meant something different in 2001 vs. 2021. Not only are there mountains of tape on each of these guys nowadays, but they have data coming out of their ears about the way they move, their top speed in game, the quality of their shot distribution, and so much more. I know that some might be scarred by the Morey-era moneyball approach, but any team that is making decisions based on one hot or cold shooting day in their home gym on a random day in July is the one to actually be worried about. I've watched way too many hype videos for random kids and gotten way too excited about many of these future nobodies. Small sample sizes mess with the brain.

I want on court performance to be measured in a data-driven way, and softer and more subjective things like personality, drive, and demeanor to be evaluated through interviews as best as possible. I would be more worried if I heard confirmation that these other guys were refusing interviews with the Rockets or that the Rockets were not scheduling them. I really don't find myself getting too worked up about a lack of private workouts.

We have to remember that even those of us who have been the biggest draft junkies are seeing 2% of what the Rockets front office is actually doing.

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

We just cannot catch a break

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

We are picking 2nd instead of 18th. We have already caught our huge break.

7. 19bernardo87

19bernardo87 Member

If we keep the #2 pick, my (slight) preference was towards Mobley.

I'd definitely like to understand his decision here better, but absent that and just distilling the information we got at the moment, I feel a little disappointed.

I had hoped Mobley's mindset was to come in and wow our FO, to show he's definitely the #2 pick, regardless of what our preference was at the time.

In fact, I haven't really read any leaks that gave the impression that Mobley was not contending for that #2 spot.

This decision should weigh against him, and it might be enough to put Green ahead for me (again, there's some wiggle room here, as we get more information on the case).

Also disappointed by Suggs. Even if he wasn't competing for #2 (we have seen news that he was though), trading down is still a real option for the Rockets.

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

If Team Mobley can't handle pre-draft tactics then he would never be able to handle playoff pressure. We better not draft no weak ass hoe!

Verbal Christ and Ramo$e like this.
  9. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yes and no.

I think a good recent example of a team using a in person workout to make the right decision is Fultz and Tatum. That's when they first discovered his shooting hitch

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

if this true, that's some weak-ass attitude, especially since there's more money being drafted 2nd.

Ramo$e likes this.
  11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I want dogs who want to prove the world wrong! I don't want no weak ass hoes...

Verbal Christ, Fyreball and Ramo$e like this.
  12. JW86

JW86 Member

And he was still picked #1…

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

PERSPECTIVE. Yes!

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

As I said....every thread. Stop crying kiddo

dmoneybangbang and cbass like this.
  15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

How is this the Rockets break to catch?? It should be Mobley WANTING to come for a workout so he can convince us to take him #2 over Green. Not this soft ass **** where he pouts, and refuses to work out for us. I simply do not understand his reasoning at all for not wanting a workout. Same with Suggs honestly. Shouldn't these guys WANT to go #2?? Now maybe in Suggs' case, he prefers Toronto over us, so he's doing everything in his power to get there. But Mobley?? What's happening makes zero sense.

ipaman, Dobbizzle, wallyj12 and 2 others like this.
  16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yeah.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Mobley doesn't even want to work out for Detroit; not just us

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

that just shows the difference between a competent GM (Ainge) and the shitshow that was Colangelo.

19. saleem

Good teams do exactly that. They do want to see high prospects up close, and they should do that.

20. saleem

I think I'm going to be a generational player but I will work out only for the Cavs- Evan Mobley.