1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets still a fairly young team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ILoveTheRockets, Aug 10, 2009.

1. jason3333

jason3333 Member

well be fine, a young team has nothing to lose but everything to gain, it could be steetball 101, that would be cool to watch

2. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I would deal Battier to get him a ring only. So that means the Celtics, Magic, Cavs, Lakers, Spurs, or maybe Portland... We owe this to Battier... I would take Travis Outlaw and 1st round pick off their hands for Battier. Don't want anything from the other teams except their Superstars.

3. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Your forgetting...the famous Battier Trade :D

Travis Outlaw-Born: Sep 19, 1984
    Martel Webster-Born: Dec 4, 1986
    Jared Bayless-Born: Aug 24, 1988

1 person likes this.
  4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

Morey is trying to trade for that missing All Star for the roster, he has said as much.

We would have to renounce the rights to Scola and maybe even to Landry in order to have a chance at one of the major players next year.

And we wouldn't have much to lure free agents anyway. They'd all use us to get offers from more flash-and-cash teams.

What's our recruiting pitch? "And Yao's got a Darth Vader foot, completely brand new, it doesn't work yet, AND he's taking $18 million of the salary cap, but the good news is we MIGHT let him go after this year OR we'll re-tool our offense around Yao again if he rounds back into form, and his foot MIGHT not shatter in the process. SO! Whaddaya say? Ready to sign? Hey! Where you going?"

5. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

What do you mean by "young potential star"? Someone who was drafted in the top 5? Several young Rockets players have developed nicely and shown potential. But with Yao, T-Mac and Artest, they haven't had the opportunity to show all that they can do. This year, they won't be relegated to supporting roles, and as young as they are, they should continue improving. I'm not saying any of them are sure to become stars, but I am saying we don't really know yet. One thing looks very likely: Someone is going to step up and have a breakout season. With some teams, you can look at the roster and develop an opinion about how good they're going to be based on what the players have done in the past. The Rockets aren't one of those teams.

6. I_Luv_U_LA

I_Luv_U_LA Member

Never thought Lowery was this young

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

damn carl landry was born on the exact same day as me thats pretty cool.

that must mean he will be life time rocket "its an omen"-sandlot :D

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

If you compare our young core to let's say the Blazers or Thunder's young core, it becomes pretty obvious that you need to consider quality into that discussion although I'll give Houston credit for cultivating young role players which is a value unto itself if you can keep those guys.

....obviously this is a bigger deal for those of us who suffered through the Van Gundy era - not that I thought he was a bad coach, but I spent several seasons cringing at FA acquisitions of over the hill players because VG didn't trust the youth.

9. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

Cue hand-wringing from politically correct homofascists.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Member

Unrelated, Ricky Rubio was born in the 90's. Goodness.

11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Member

You must be one of those gay-hating theofascists like Osama bin Laden and, well, pretty much the entire Republican party.

12. jae713

jae713 Member

Looking at all the players birthdates is making me feel old. :(

13. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

If we could somehow land the rights to Rubio, and add him to the young player aquired above, we would have one of the best young core's in the NBA.....:cool:

Ricky Rubio-Born: Oct 21, 1990

14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm think you should keep your bigoted opinions to the D&D where some deluded person might champion your righteousness.

15. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Getting younger is fine but to win the title veteran leadership is a must. ;)

16. rwienert

rwienert Member

I'm not trying to single you out, but where does this "we owe this to Battier" attitude come from on the BBS??? He's been a good role player, but I don't feel like we owe him the right to compete for a championship. You could even argue we gave him the chance to play for a championship when we gave up a future all-star to rescue him from Memphis and their perennial mediocrity. We finally got out of the first round, but you'd be stretching the truth to say he was the deciding factor.

He's been here what.....4 years??? He's not from Houston like Clyde. He didn't start his career here like Hakeem. He's not a relic from a championship team. He's a nice guy that I respect as a player, but if Minnesota calls and says they want to swap Shane for Rubio, then I'd be happy to send him off to a lottery team. I don't think we own him anything more than most of our players.

17. leebigez

leebigez Member

Just like one poster said, you have to look at quality. Of those young players, who has the capacity to be as good as paul,williams,roy,aldridgde,jefferson,parker, or even bynum? Out of the rockets young core, who do you see being a all star caliber player?

18. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Most of the " young players " will be good players but I do not believe that any of them would be All-Stars in the caliber of the players you mentioned.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

owe him what?

20. leebigez

leebigez Member

I'm always amused at the love battier gets on this board. I would care where he goes as long as we get the best deal. If memphis wanted him back for gay, I would pay the moving company and buy the ticket. Owe him that,please.