1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets sign Trevor Ariza to 4-year, $32 million deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 12, 2014.

Tags:
?

Do you like the signing of Trevor Ariza?

1. YES

610 vote(s)
    78.2%
  2. NO

170 vote(s)
    21.8%
  1. photojoe

photojoe Member

Nevermind- I missed Bima's first tweet

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Bring on NICK Johnson

3. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

we basically tradeded Lin + pick for Ariza + a $8.3Mil. TPE that we can use in a trade later. and Les saved $7Mil. on Lin's poison contract.

now just use the cap space we gained from Asik trade to sign a big man like Kris Humphries and some veterans i.e. Brand, Nelson, ...

Howard, Brand, DMo
    Humphries, Jones, Covington
    Parsons, Ariza, Garcia
    Harden, Daniels, Johnson
    Beverley, Nelson, Canaan

i think this is actually an upgrade from last season's line-up

4. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Like Woj said yesterday, Morey doesn't do this until he gets a commitment from a player. Once you get the commitment, then you approach the team and figure out a S&T.

5. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

I like this deal. Ariza played well in Washington and will do well with the Rockets. Now I hope the Rockets match on Parsons. We would be deep at SF but would not drop off when Ariza is playing.

Good addition.

6. Spooner

Spooner Member

You don't know how it works man. How do you propose signing Monroe to an offer sheet and matching Parsons by Sunday. Ariza isn't a bench player. I'm assuming you didn't even look at his numbers from this past year, given your obvious lack of information on how the NBA actually works. Thanks for trying.

7. howardsucks

howardsucks Member

Nick Johnson. He might probably join the Slam Dunk competition.

8. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

ESPN just mentioned the deal BTW!

9. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

He'd be a terrible fit next to Dwight. The whole reason the Pistons aren't keeping him is because he can't play with Drummond, why would he be any better next to Dwight?

10. howardsucks

howardsucks Member

so after asik and lin clears up, we'll get kevin love right?? give them capela.lol

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

Wow. I wonder if we could package the NOP pick and TPE to Chicago for Gibson. Then use the MLE for Llull. BAE on Daniels.

Beverley / Llull / Johnson
    Harden / Daniels
    Parsons / Ariza
    Gibson / TJones
    Howard / DMo

12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Let me explain this to you:

The Ariza signing is good, because he is elite at 2 things: 3 pointers and defense. Basically 3 and D. Next to Harden and Howard, those are the things you need. Plus we actually got him at a pretty good value, so his contract should be very tradeable.

We didn't go after Monroe because he is a RFA. If we offer a contract we can't use our capspace for 3 days - and I don't even know how that would work with the Parsons offer. Plus Monroe is a minus defender without an outside shot. That makes him a poor fit next to Dwight. I'd still like to add him, but him being a RFA basically killed that option.

13. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

He's a RFA and can't be gotten without giving up on Parsons. The only options we're looking at right now are UFA's and players teams are looking to trade. This is the best mediocre signing we could make right now. I hope there's another good "meh" signing coming up before we match.

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

He does give us flexibility.

Harden/Ariza/Parsons could all play multiple positions. And even play all three of them at the same time at PG/SG/SF for some streches, or SG/SF/PF sometimes.

Again, I don't think this is franchise altering. It's not going to completely change the favorites in the Western Conference. But I do like this deal.

It is basically the money that we were paying for Lin. And Ariza will give us more flexibility, better defense and a more consistent 3 point shot.

15. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

Not the kind of upgrade I was looking for, now with Asik, who is going to guard LMA, Duncan, Dirk?

16. haydenfisher342

What ever we have left cap wise, throw it at Bledsoe. or is that going to just "cuban" us?

17. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Want us to lock up Birdman, Blatche/Davis, and a Jameer Nelson or Toney Douglas type if we do end up matching Parsons on Sunday night. If we don't match Parsons then we could also throw out an offer to Greg Monroe or Eric Bledsoe still.

18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No.

Trevor is great when he plays in the flow as a third or fourth option. Hellacious D, can stick it from Downtown, get to the hole and finish....When he was here before, the Rockets pressed him into a situation that was over his head. It frustrated TA and made him look bad. All you have to do is look at his play with the Lakers and the Wiz to see what he is and where he fits.

The big thing about this signing is how much less he took. There is a BIG move coming up in the next 12-24 hours that will change the way everyone looks at this offseason.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Would be awesome, but I don't think Bulls are dealing Gibson.

20. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

Not the kind of upgrade I was looking for, now without Asik, who is going to guard LMA, Duncan, Dirk?