1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign KJ McDaniels

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AFS, Jul 19, 2015.

1. PointZero

PointZero Member

Behind Ariza and Brewer, though. 3rd string.

2. dmoneybangbang

He can, but he'll primarily play the 2 I'd imagine. Optimistically, he'll be able to guard the 1-3 spots while rebounding, stealing, and blocking at an above average rate.

PG: Bev/Thorton
    SG: Harden/McDaniels
    SF: Ariza/ Brewer
    PF: Jones/Dmo
    C: Howard/Capela

I'd be surprised if we made any significant trades with those above players before the midseason deadline. Lots of flexibility and depth in that lineup, hopefully we can reduce the starters minutes and save more for the playoffs.

3. Mr Chuck Norris

PG: LAWSON/Bev

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Is this guy any good? Did not see him play much

5. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

I wish we are. He's better than Harrell and Wood at this point although Harrell obviously has a higher upside.

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

You Happy Now!

7. Harden2Capela

Harden2Capela Member

http://www.nba.com/draft/2014/prospects/kj_mcdaniels

i dont know how good nba.com is good with draft comps, but kj got an Andre Iguodala comparison

would be great if he could turn into iggy off the bench ala gsw

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Overpaid. Anything over 2M should be loaded with team options or unguaranteed clauses.

9. BoneYardDog

BoneYardDog Contributing Member

I don't think you realize how good of a player KJ will be. The Rockets traded for him and signed him for 3 years for a reason.

He could easily be a starter on a half dozen NBA teams right now. He has star potential written all over him.

With the signing of KJ, the trade for Lawson and Capella with last season under his belt, I don't think there is a team we cannot beat.

10. PeppermintCandy

Purely speculation, but the choice might have been between signing McDaniels and giving Smith the larger contract he wanted, and the Rockets chose for youth and potential.

11. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Im going to keep my expectations for KJ low. This has the TWill feeling going on. A lot of fans are getting pumped and building him up to something he may not be, just like TWill. And where is TWill now anyways?

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It should have a TWill vibe. It is basically the same move. Obtain player cheaply that has potential to be a very good player. It is also the Kyle Lowry vibe. Most of the time, player will not produce as much as salary. However, when they do....they produce a lot.

13. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Think McDaniels is purely insurance for both injuries or trade potentials. Think next offseason if we have to shed Ariza and Brewer for max space, for example.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

So is there a player option or no?

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

postbadlee is up to his old tricks I see.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">But I'm too happy and too blessed and thankful to be back apart of <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedNation?src=hash">#RedNation</a></p>&mdash; K.J (@KJMcDaniels) <a href="https://twitter.com/KJMcDaniels/status/622838413884919808">July 19, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">When tha goin get tough....The tough get to goin...</p>&mdash; K.J (@KJMcDaniels) <a href="https://twitter.com/KJMcDaniels/status/622848644287324160">July 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">KJ McDaniels will now make ~200k more than the No. 8 overall pick in 2014 in his first 4 years, assuming reported 3 year, 10M deal is true.</p>&mdash; Sam Vecenie (@Sam_Vecenie) <a href="https://twitter.com/Sam_Vecenie/status/622852823311478784">July 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">KJ McDaniels on signing with Rockets: &quot;I feel great. It's a blessing we got it done. I'm happy to be a part of such a great organization.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/622842992101961728">July 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/KJMcDaniels">@KJMcDaniels</a>:&quot;I took that time I wasn't playing 2just learn,be the best I can be.It's a huge honor 2have them want me 2stay.It means a lot&quot;</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/622844031953846272">July 19, 2015</a></blockquote>

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I have a feeling that K.J. McDaniels's third year is a TEAM option.

This would allow the Rockets to either make McDaniels a restricted free agent again in 2017 (this time having full Bird rights to him) or to keep him for an extra year on what could by then be a dirt-cheap salary.

I cannot prove this at this time, but remember this post.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Likely he is a trade asset if there is no a major improvement in his play.

19. vince

vince Member

Practically every player the Roster has value. McDaniels, Dekker, Harrell, Capella, Montiejunas, T Jones, Ariza, Brewer, Beverly.... Insane Asset accumulation by Morey!!!!

Insane!!!!

20. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I wonder if that was one of the sticking points in negotiations. If KJ does break out this season or next it would certainly benefit the Rockets to have him as a restricted free agent. But for KJ to be able to go into unrestricted free agent after year 4 in the league could be huge for KJ.