1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Rockets sign Jerian Grant

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 1, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

True, if Westbrook and Harden both stay healthy all season long, that backup PG is a minimal impact position.

But how likely is that scenario? Injuries are real.

But just as critical, Rockets need more ball handlers/playmakers in starting 5/rotation to deter teams from double teaming/trapping Harden.

So it's a catch 22.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  2. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Haha I saw Marvin Williams on the Rockets during MyCareer.. was wondering if I missed something

D-rock likes this.
  3. Grizzlyshark

Grizzlyshark Member

Wasnt he traded for a first round pick not that long ago??

Was it the Magic? Or Chicago?

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Retired Marvin Williams would be a roster upgrade.

5. D-rock

D-rock Member

6. HROZ

HROZ Member

Good pickup. Should see minutes in games we rest Harden or Westbrook.

groovemachine likes this.
  7. prodigy08

prodigy08 Clutchfans Lurker

Mine was when I started a fresh myleague. I guess 2k gets all the bombs before it arrives at Sham's desk lol

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  8. macan

macan Member

He's not the Grant that I wanted...fml

D-rock likes this.
  9. OpportunityCost

Everyone always seems to complain about all of the players we pick up, but what do we expect, are we really going to be able to have an All-Star at every position????

10. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Yup no need to complain. We get off brand jerami while the clippers pick up reggie jackson who was a starter in this league

D-rock likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hell, IThomas was a near MVP, doesn’t mean we should sign him...

D-rock likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still have a chance to SnT for Shaq Harrison.

This is best way around the vet min NG contracts due to being so tight to the cap.

Otherwise Rockets cannot afford anything but scrub or inexperienced players.

13. Nook

Nook Member

He has the foot speed and quickness to guard quick 1’s and 2’s... his issue is that he gets pushed around physically on offense and defense.

He may surprise but it feels like he was just the biggest name they could sign for the minimum so they did regardless of fit.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Jerian struggles vs. athletic guards.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/08/30/draft-notes-threshold-athleticism-failure/

Jerian's D seems to have diminished since becoming a pro.

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2020/9/11/21432427/washington-wizards-player-evaluations-jerian-grant

Just like the Magic are trying to find versatile, multi-position players, Grant fits that. Or he could potentially. The glimpses like the ones he showed in the clip above are there. But they are just glimpses. His production has not matched that talent.

Nowhere is that seemingly more prevalent than on defense.

It is on defense where his length and athleticism should make him a strong player. But he has not made the impact many would have expected.

In college, for instance, Sports-Reference calculates Grant was a slightly above-average defender, with a 0.9 defensive box plus-minus his senior year. But the NBA has seen him struggle on that end in several metrics. He has had a negative box plus-minus in each of his three seasons, bottoming out at -1.8 last year.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2018/...uggling-to-find-the-point-guards-versatility/

If anything, Jerian's offense has improved. Still has inconsistent shot especially from 3 but he is much improved creating attacking and finishing around the rim.

Nook likes this.
  15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

clearly youre missing the point. Other teams are picking up proven rotation players while we signed someone who averages 4 points in 15 minutes and isnt good at anything else

16. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, I don’t agree that foot speed is his problem defensively. His issue is that he isn’t very strong and doesn’t handle contact well on either side of the court.

I don’t really like the signing, but I am not surprised they signed him. My guess is we may pick up a point guard released at some point.

D-rock likes this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I agree, he struggles defensively whether it's because he lacks lateral agility or confidence but he seems to be devolving every season. He was not as bad defensively when he was with Bulls but he has gotten worse the last 2 seasons with Magic and he was a sieve with the Wiz (but entire team sucks on D) in the bubble.

I have watched Jerian a lot because I've had my eye on several Magic players over the years.

And there was a time I considered him in trade packages due to his length at PG. And he had several opportunities to steal starting PG spot before Fultz added and he was never up to the challenge.

#78 D-rock, Dec 2, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Well danuel house will have his picks come bubble. I think he goes after the travelin' queen first!

Nook likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know you guys want to be 4 deep at every position, but we are going to be playing 7-8 guys like everyone else, and we need some warm training camp bodies.

No harm in getting a closer look at this kid, and then cutting him If the intel was no good.

jiggyfly likes this.