1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets sign Isaiah Canaan to a 3-year deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Jul 11, 2013.

1. PainNoLove

PainNoLove Member

Curious more than complaining. I believe Air Bud and Chandler got the 4 year deal, I was expecting the same for Canaan.

2. xlr817

xlr817 Member

LOL! It would probably cure mines as well! Also my bum right elbow, chronic sore back, & sore right knee! :p :cool:

3. verysimplejason

nice deal! at least if he doesn't pan out, 3rd year is a team option. If he does pan out then he's in for an early raise. Good for both sides I think.

4. oddjob142

oddjob142 Member

Negotiations probably went like this:

Morey: four year deal.
    Canaan: no way...see what happened when parsons blew up and stuck in cheap contract? Not happening. I want two year deal.
    Morey: two year deal with an option for third year...take it or leave it
    Canaan: ok deal

5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Cooley and Vander Blue are both playing for Memphis in Vegas SL.

6. pass_to_Hakeem

LoL ^^^ ikr? I mean I appreciate the optimism on this board but I'm with you. 2 is plenty ...lets see how he even plays at this level first guys!!

7. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

Excited off the highlights I saw of him. An attacking PG who can also spread the floor. Hot diggity dog!

8. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Great to hear. The games this year have been less than compelling once the advantage of front court's pro experience became apparent.

9. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

- Isaiah Caanan agrees to terms.
    Caanan is 50/50 on deciding to sign in Houston, according to multiple sources

#2easy

10. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Probably because his agent is not a dumb azz...

11. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

What a stupid post.

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i wonder if DM actually wanted the 3yr deal as opposed to 4.......w/ the team option coming up in 2yrs, now he still maintains cap flexibility in summer 2015 when lin & asik come off the books

13. BarreKellyJr

BarreKellyJr Member

Wish we sign Vander Blue for training camp. Dude can outright ball. Cooley I don't really like that much, but has played well.

14. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

He would have asked for both like Parsons if he could have. I mean it's a nobrainer to sign him to 4 years if he maintains a team option for the third and fourth year. That's something Morey would have loved to have gotten. If Canaan turns out good then we have him locked up for 4 years on cheap contract and if he turns out bad then we can dump him after the snd.

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

it's probably because its a fair bit less per year, that all the first 2 years will be guaranteed and he can come off and get a decent pay day after the third year if he turns out ok.

16. basketballholic

3 years is good enough. Gets him to Birds rights and we can give him extra year at that time. 3 years is enough time to know whether he's a keeper or not.

17. dustinb14

dustinb14 Member

Canaan will play today in the Championship

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>With a new contract agreement in hand, Murray State alum Isaiah Canaan tells me he expects to play in Houston's summer league finale Friday.</p>&mdash; Jeff Bidwell (@AKAJeffBidwell) <a href="https://twitter.com/AKAJeffBidwell/statuses/355551782799290368">July 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Well said Raven. :cool:

19. dustinb14

dustinb14 Member

Nevermind...everybody on twitter thinks he's playing but apparently he's not. Who knows...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Isaiah Canaan tells me he will NOT play this morning in the <a href="https://twitter.com/houstonrocket">@HoustonRocket</a>'s summer league finale. Trainer's decision. Ankle still not 100%.</p>&mdash; Jeff Bidwell (@AKAJeffBidwell) <a href="https://twitter.com/AKAJeffBidwell/statuses/355683346451398656">July 12, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

It's more to do with being under the cap when we signed bud/cp. Morey would sign every 2nd rounder to the gem contract if he could. But, Canaan couldn't get the extra 500k/y so, we couldn't get him a 4th year. Beware the Poison Pill for him