1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Money had to be spent anyway and it is for 2 years. Your love for KPJ has taken over your brain or age is catching up with you.

ROXTXIA, FLAGRANT1 and xaos like this.
  2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I haven’t been a fan of FVV either, but the 2 year contract made it more palatable. If he can provide good defense and turn the ball over less than KPJ it is a win for us. KPJ can be a great scorer off the bench if he embraces it. I think Ime, unlike Silas, is going to run a variety of sets in the half-court and be able to adjust the game plan depending on what’s happening on the court. If FVV is chucking and not doing what they brought him in for then it is up to Ime to make adjustments. The fact of the matter this was a sh*t FA class and they had to spend the 50m on something. Over all bringing in FVV and Brooks improves the team and will improve our defense. If anybody is a chucker in this lineup and Ime doesn’t correct it, then we made the wrong choice at coach.

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I watched this whole video, and I like his personality MUCH more than Harden's weird passive aggressive personality already.

beardsanity713 likes this.
  4. rammo

rammo Member

I’ve read plenty of negative sh*t on here about FVVs contract etc.

I personally love FVV on this young team. He’s tough, unselfish, knows what it takes to win a chip, and will be out to prove he’s the star we’re paying him to be.

A good vet for the young lads to follow. Get around it.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

What does KPJ have to do with this?

We all know FVV will shoot in the lower 40's FG%. That's not why we're signing him. He's not a scorer here and he should not have been placed into a scorer role there. No one with his shot profile should be placed into that role. No one with that shot profile should see themselves as in iso scorer.

He's here for his assist to turnover ratio, his toughness, his non-stop self-motivation to play defense, veteran experience and experience in a championship locker room. He's also a good off ball shooter and PnR initiator.

There's a reason why Toronto offered him $30m per year and it makes no sense they would offer him that if he's what you're painting him to be.

For some reason you seem to want to believe we're bringing FVV here to fix all our problems or to function within the narrow scope of a comparison with KPJ.

I have a feeling you're interested in the comparison more than anything, and if that's the case I want to respectfully tell you I have no interest in ******** on one Rocket to promote another just for the sake of doing that.

It had to be said your opinion is that of the fringe Raptors fan and now that your analysis and mine are out there, it's done. We clearly won't agree on these things and don't have to act up about it.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

FVV will take either starting guard spot imo

amen looked good the other day . If amen and kpj can do good pg stuff , FVV isn’t afraid to shoot shots . He can play an undersized 2 who guards the opposing point.

all I’m saying is . FVV for 2 years isn’t horrible . Is it the best way to use our cap ? Prolly not .

but him and Brooks are guys that won’t feel bad at all about taking the ball from kpj and green . Interesting to see how IME distributes shots this year

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

One thing FVV and KPJ have in conmon is the tragic loss of their fathers. Maybe FVV can mentor that kid.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/te...ston-rockets-fred-vanvleet-intro-18190214.php

“It feels good,” VanVleet said. “More than anything, it just feels good to be wanted. They made me their guy and they came and got me. I’m looking forward to just being there and being able to be myself. They don’t want me to be anybody but myself.

“People are crazy about the (contract) number, but the league is growing every year. That number won’t be that number in a few years. So, I know it’s a shock factor with the narrative that I have around me as an undrafted guy. But I’m going to work every day to make sure I prove (worth) every penny.”

The Rockets were determined to put the ball and the next stage of their rebuild in VanVleet’s hands, allowing them to organize and orchestrate their offense, and providing disruptive defense at the point of attack. His strengths were their weaknesses.

Though he was not ready to provide his goals Friday, he knew the first part of his mission.

“I think I’m just coming in and setting a tone and just bringing a professional approach from day one,” VanVleet said. “I think it’s going to be a whole, total new feel from what they had with myself and Ime (Udoka, the Rockets coach) and some of the other veterans we added.

“The young guys have a lot of talent. We just have to mesh it and mold it the best that we can to be able to build a winner.”

VanVleet said his conversations with the young Rockets, including second-year players Jabari Smith Jr. and Tari Eason, were about “building your habits, the little things that add up.” He worked out with Jalen Green in Los Angeles through the week, he said, to “build rapport.”

“He’s a hard worker,” VanVleet said. “He works his butt off. The strength training that we do is not easy. For him to be there at that age (21) is impressive. As far as his game goes, it’s just a matter of where it fits within the team, and we’ll see where it progresses. All the talent in the world, for sure.”

His own leadership style seemed fitting for someone that had come so far. VanVleet averaged less than three points in an average of 7.9 minutes in his 37 NBA games as a rookie. He has averaged more than 19 in each of his past three seasons. Last season, he averaged a career-high 7.2 assists.

“Everywhere I’ve been, I’ve been a coach on the floor,” VanVleet said. “I don’t see why it would be different with Ime. I think it will be a great relationship for us.

“It’s really just (about) setting a tone and leading by example, being early and taking care of business and not joking around and showing up every day, trying to get better. That’s where you start. You’ll be surprised how much that helps.”

He should know. But VanVleet cannot be considered an overachiever any longer, having been recognized for his ability to give the Rockets what they lacked. As desperately as they wanted that, he wanted a chance to start over with a different team.

“Absolutely, I think that was one of the big points in free agency,” VanVleet said. “There’s nothing I can say to summarize my experiences in my whole NBA career, but I think it was just time for a change of scenery and I’m just really excited about being with a new group and trying to lead these guys as best as I can.

“I feel a lot better than I felt five days ago. To finally get that ink dried and make it official I’m just excited, looking forward to a new start for me and a team with a lot of talent and really on the ways up.”

Little Bit, cheke64 and Mathloom like this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

For this particular team and all of the variables involved, yes 100%.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Not at all, I just think it is a lateral move, other than leadership.

DD

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

KPJ/Nix at guard making decisions and leading the team <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< FVV/Amen

What other guard were the Rockets supposed to sign in free agency that would have helped the Rockets for the next 2 seasons?

Easy and xaos like this.
  12. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is like saying Stephon Marbury is better than Jason Kidd because he put up better numbers. If you believe that then you are looking at the wrong numbers.

xaos and DominantBig like this.
  13. marinara

marinara Member

can we just support our FVV KPJ etc,

KPJ aint done **** since that issue at HT in the game with Cwood and has looked mature in every instance since.

His play whatever debate that but give the kid a break.

14. MystikArkitect

Well said.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

You keep believing what you want to believe.

Just because the media and basketball world tells us they poured
    A-1 steak sauce on dog s#it and say it's filet mignon.....I ain't
    eating it.

Deep down the national media is laughing at us, knowing we
    paid $43 m per year for a guy that us average. Ready to rip in
    to it. The higher the pedestal they place the individual....the harder
    they fall. They love that.

All that falling on every drive might get him foul calls while
    on other teams, but with Rockets, refs will just say get up.
    We saw that with CP3.

Someone yesterday told me FVv has a poor FG% because he takes
    tough shots. There is fine line between tough and poor. Every
    scout will tell you a 5'11" or 6'0" player entering the NBA
    is going to have a tough time getting his shot off.

Fred VanVleet is more like 5'11".....and yeah he is going to
    often take tough shots.....they are called regular shots by a
    5'11" player going up against NBA players. It would be different
    if he had a quick release (he doesn't) or he had a high vertical
    (which he doesn't).

#1035 ApacheWarrior, Jul 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  16. xaos

xaos Member

Couldn't disagree more. FVV is miles better than KPJ at the point gaurd position. One understands the game and the other has individual skills, but complete lack of feel for the game within a team concept. If KPJ can be decisive as a backup 2/3 then he will excel in that role. But, he will never play starting point gaurd in this league again unless if it's out of desperation or on another tanking team.

What's going to happen is Rockets will start playing team basketball with ball movement and body movement. There will be people out there giving Ime all of the credit, but even though it starts with Ime, FVV will play a major role in that transition.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I don't like guys that are shoot first, combo guards with a 40.2% career shooting percentage.

Maybe, I have to see KPJ with an actual coach before I judge his full potential at PG.

DD

18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, you and I have gone through this song and dance before.

I said his defense is highly overrated. Zone defense props up
    his deflections, steals, blocks, rebounds. Having a ton on experienced
    6'9" players or tough defenders like OG Anunoby and Gary Trent jr
    have a way of making a player look much better than he is.

Again you are talking about FVv having to change.....Ime likes
    passing, passing, passing...... constantly passing. FVv was the
    opposite of that this past year. Toronto fans said he held it too long.

Imo.....Udoka wants uptempo. Celtics look uptempo to me. FVv
    is the opposite of uptempo. He likes to slow it down. Not run.

Imo should want FVv (like KPj) to play more off ball....Toronto fans
    say that is what they wanted this past season.....but FVv looked bad
    as an off ball player and struggled. So they abandoned that mindset.

Then when things were going wrong FVv went to the media and
    called teammates bad. Called himself an elitist at basketball.
    That not leadership to me. The opposite.

The whole fit is wrong is what I'm saying. All those bricks by both
    FVv and Dillon are going to result in long rebounds and the other
    team running it down our throats. 30 point leads for the other team.
    Ime is going to have his hands full.

And that's another issue I have. I promoted Ime as my top pick as coach.
    I was told he can work and teach anybody. Then why the h#ll couldn't
    we do it with Jevon Carter, Monte Morris, Landale, Seth Curry, Reddish,
    Cam Johnson....? It has to be former backup on a championship team
    or first team or second team all defensive team?

I lost a little respect for Udoka.

19. xaos

xaos Member

You said almost the exact same things about Wood as a player, who is struggling to find a team to sign him to anything more than a minimum deal.

Wood and KPJ have the same issues on offense. Although they're very skilled, they lack complete self-awareness and ignore team concepts. Even when they get assist it's because they forced the ball to stop so the play goes through them.

Fortunately for KPJ he all he needs to do to turn around his narrative is do less drawn out playmaking and more quick decisions as a 2/3. If he can do that he could be a very impactful player.

#1039 xaos, Jul 8, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We can get DD-KPJ in the ring with BobbyTG-JG for a bout of Rock'em Sock'em Robots.*

*From Mattel.