1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

…okay show me $52.4 mil(how much we need to meet salary floor) of contract there with the FEWEST number of players(because you need minutes to develop our young guys) who would also be good leaders for our young guys - salty guys like Lowry aren’t going to work because that guy gets along with like 5 players in the league and oh yeah - after Gabe Vincent signed elsewhere, Miami can’t afford to lose him so your list is already falling apart…NO probably wants something of value in return for CJ so that’s also a no go. Marcus Morris is not a teacher of young men - he’s a professional bouncer. Have you thought this list through at all?

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You know full well I said the majority of stats and you went and cherry picked a stat.

It's so over dude, the argument you're making is beating a dead horse. Have fun broadcasting it, for me it's not worth a discussion. We see things different and that's a good thing.

cbass likes this.
  3. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

It’s Vred FanFleet.

ThaRavenOfSanJack and GotGame15 like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Wake up, we've got way more issues than that. We're not looking to contend any time soon, we just need vet presence to help develop our youth so hopefully we can try and compete in the future. People really need to stop pretending that we have an abundance of choice or are a couple pieces away from being on our way. It's way earlier in the process than that, even if we're not tanking any more. Our players are due to hit their prime in 3-5 years, at that point we can start worrying about constructing a contender, right now we still need to figure out if anybody we've drafted can be built around for the future.

5. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Decent signing. Obviously an overpay by about 8-10 mil/year and I don't like the third year, but he was the best free agent on the market (except Kyrie I guess but with his baggage he's a non-starter) and he fills a position of sore need.

He will bring defense, ball security and better facilitating at the PG position that we have been lacking. Fairly sizable upgrade for sure - he is a top 35-40 player in the league. Given our performance the last three years to get anyone reputable to come play here we would have to overpay regardless, unfortunately.

Not close to a wash - FVV is significantly better than KPJ at this point.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

What is actually says is the Raptors want to win playoff series, and they didn't believe FVV taking up $40+ million a year could help with that.

The funny thing is, the Rockets aren't trying to win playoff series, instead they're wanting a veteran who conducts himself well, can be taught by the coach thus instilling good values in the youngsters on the Rockets. So they're not taking the lead from a straight up clown like KPJ. Things FVV can deliver.

It is astonishing people cannot understand this.

Are we certain KPJ doesn't have multiple burner accounts on Clutchfans?

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. Rustyrig

Rustyrig Member

The way I see it...FVV brings winning experience and a solid game, that if healthy could be better than "solid". Seeing as how I have no money involved in this equation, sure, I'll root for him, pay him what ya want. I don't get the whole "arm chair gm" thing, but that's me, just a fan.

ThaRavenOfSanJack and SamFisher like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

1.Jeremi Grant.
    2. FVV but necessary
    3. Kyrie sells tickets

AroundTheWorld and daywalker02 like this.
  11. mario_v

mario_v Member

This is the first time a mediocre role player has signed a max contract because of his “veteran presence.”

You want a veteran presence? Just sign a league minimum player like udonis haslem and sit him on the end of the bench.

BasketballMind likes this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Thank you - been saying this a lot the last week. It IS crazy how few people understand we didn’t sign FVV to win playoff series - we signed him to hopefully bring along the young guys offensively/defensively who will help us to win titles 4-5 years from now….and we overpaid so we can meet the cap floor with as few people as possible to leave minutes to develop our lotto picks.

IvanLCPM, sydmill, FLASH21 and 5 others like this.
  13. mightybosstone

You know a lot of "mediocre role players" who average 19/7/4/2/1 and are top 30-40 in a number of advanced stats? Jesus, I get why some people don't like the contract, but some of you guys need to take a step back from the keyboard. Go for a jog. Enjoy a cup of coffee. Watch some stress-free TV. But if this is the quality of analysis we're going to get from some fans, you guys need to take a break.

14. mightybosstone

Yeah, I'd much, much rather have VanVleet's deal over Grant or Kyrie's contracts. Grant getting five years at that value is just insane; Portland trying so hard to cling to the end of Dame's career when they have such solid young pieces in Sharpe and Scoot blows my mind. Everyone with even a casual interest in basketball at this point knows Dame should be dealt, except the Blazers' front office, who just threw five years near max value at Jerami Grant. And Kyrie is just.... Kyrie. The most unreliable, toxic superstar in any major sport over the last decade off the top of my head, and I'm not sure there's a close second.

VanVleet is unquestionably an overpay, but it's an overpay for a consistent, productive two-way point guard who's not going to cause drama, and at least it's only three years, unlike Grant.

Rustyrig likes this.
  15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

An upgrade to KPJ (and I'm a big fan), but another PG?!?!?!?!? This is from the Toronto Raptors follower, "The Raptors couldn’t compete with a Houston team that was offering such a ridiculous contract, and they saw him walk as a result." Let's not forget he has missed 50 games, he is Anthony Davis of PG. If we don't have a big man in the middle, we are just making the playoffs and out.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A 5 yr old today has a chance of signing a billion dollar contact in 20 years with the way the NBA salaries are skyrocketing.

17. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm all for a player who doesn't bring their toxic primadonna attitude to the team. It's better to have the young guys mentored by someone who doesn't bring the drama to the court. These young guys can be led into really bad habits both on and off the court with a selfish or toxic Veteran as their mentor.

Pbev99 and mightybosstone like this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. mirdirir

mirdirir Member

6'1 undersized guard. Had 19.3 pts, 7.2 ast, and 1.8 stl in 36.7 mins in regular season. Raptors could not get to the playoffs last year.

In the championship season (2009), he didn't start a single playoff game and averaged 8 pts and 2.6 ast in 24.7 mins.

You may like him as a player (which I don't) but the call him a floor general and giving the max is over the top. If the market is like that, green and kpj both could expect max if they were fa given their stats and potential.

It all depends on general strategy but in ceteris paribus i value him 20 mil/yr at best.

If a player is to be offered a max contract, i expect him to be at least a star with a superstar potential. This guy is a good starter, borderline star at best.

20. anchel

anchel Member

The 3rd year was not desirable but he brings exactly everything this team needs.

1. A proper vet who knows what it takes to win inside and outside the court. A good guy and teammate, a great professional. A player who has managed to make the most of his conditions and limitations. The perfect counterpoint to our youngsters with great raw material but great lack of knowledge.

2. An all-around PG who can organize the team, play the p&r, create, finalize possesions and even play off the ball like he did in Toronto next to Lowry. Will help big time at one of our weaknesses (shooting), won't turn it over very often, will make the correct decisions, and will help and complement Jalen and the rest of starters without limiting their growth and potential. Advanced stats talk about him as a winning player in every area. He's one of the best at his position in the NBA and is in his prime years.

3. A guy who will compete defensively, will fight over screens, will put pressure on the ball... A player who fits with our biggest current weakness. A guy who can teach the other guards how you really defend the position. "If I can do this with my body, you should be even better".

Great signing for the Rockets. Probably overpaid, yes (not that much), but we can afford it within our context. Well done, Stone.

#640 anchel, Jul 1, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2023