1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Fred VanVleet (3 years, $130M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 30, 2023.

?

Do you like the signing of Fred VanVleet?

Poll closed Oct 9, 2023.
  1. YES

62.9%
  2. NO

37.1%
  1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree. No one likes that contract, but I think some of us didn't notice, or have forgotten what an incredibly deep hole Silas and Stone, with a bit of help from our owner's presence, dug for our Houston Rockets. Again, I don't like the cost, but it's the price we're paying for dragging ourselves out of the abyss. In my opinion.

2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

2019 finals

VanVleet points result
    G1 15
    G2 17
    G3 11
    G4 8
    G5 11
    G6 22

My math may not be great, but that is more than 8ppg.

If you are claiming to have watched that series (and playoffs) then I assume you wouldn't be making a statement about his entire playoffs average. DYOR and then reassess?

Arnel and Saeculum like this.
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Im hoping somehow that they did this to keep the money on the books. I dont know the rules or how the math works out but for peace of mind im going to say to myself that they did this for a reason other than overpaying for van fleet and sticking it to Harden.

4. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Pure libel, Harden's post-game routine is at Treasures.

mtbrays likes this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

i'm just excited for competent PG play. Let KPJ cook with the bench or be a spot up shooter with a PG.

here is fred's 20/20 game from last season.

6. Salvy

Salvy Member

HELL YEAH!!!!!!! Great signing!!!! Love it!!!

7. mikenm268

mikenm268 Member

To everyone hoping the 3rd year is a team option, a 2+1 with a team option would be less attractive than a 2 year contract.

I cant fathom it being a team option given the context. What you should be hoping is that the 3rd year isnt a player option.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

If we did that these same people would be complaining that the franchise is cheap and refuses to spend money.

IvanLCPM, Jayzers_100 and rhino17 like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Fingers crossed that our wish comes true. We have our perimeter presence, our coach on the court and in practice. Here's hoping we get our interior guy. Brook would be perfect, in my opinion.

Arnel and mikol13 like this.
  10. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like that there is a third year. The two year placeholder was insulting. That’s basically telling fans you are just signing someone to fill salary until your draft picks have to be paid more. FVV could easily have a career year in year two of this deal and the team could be rolling. At least we don’t have to drop everything and hand the spot to someone whether they are ready or not.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Exactly what we needed. Exactly. The only little nuance is the 3rd year but we can see what's on that side of the bridge when we get there, it's really nothing to worry about right now. Selling "concern" over the 130 million, none of you work for the cap department or Tillboi. We had to spend it and we spent it on a guy who does exactly what we needed, and this team was going to overpay anyone quality because as far as "contending" goes we aren't going to do it for 2-3 more years. FVV just accepted the best coaching job he'll ever get.

Sets the tone, plays the defense, distributes the ball. The other options were Harden (not going to play teamwork ball) and who, Schruder? This was the right move. This team is unquestionably better than it was this morning, end of last season.

Arnel, Saeculum and xaos like this.
  13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Have you paid any attention to the NBA salaries lately? This whole “overpay” trope is silly, salaries and more importantly the salary cap just keep going up and up. New TV deal in what - a year or two? What do you think is gonna happen to salaries then?

If Rockets brass were willing to make this deal for their #1 target then who am I to complain? This is funny money. It don’t matter.

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. xaos

xaos Member

When we had Harden going hardcore iso mode I understood that is what gave us the best change to win. I understood his iso play gave us a higher PPP than most standard plays. But, I also knew in the playoffs in a 7-game series it becomes easier to defend. Harden was just that great of an individual player that it was worth seeing him do it. But, I hated the style... I had a sigh of relief when we traded Harden because I wanted to see beautiful basketball once again. Then... we saw KPJ. Boy... this is going to be such a breath of fresh air to watch an offense that has ball movement, cutting, off-ball movement, less predictability, an actual system, etc.

slothy420, bro2044, IvanLCPM and 3 others like this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

No it’s not silly. It’s a massive overpay. That’s what it is. It’s that simple. There’s reasons why it had to be a massive overpay but still doesn’t make it not such.

Saeculum and GotGame15 like this.
  17. Arnel

Arnel Member

hah yea that’s weird to me also the whole “he can’t shoot” his career percentages from three and free throws are better than any of our guys lol

bro2044 and DrNuegebauer like this.
  18. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

That grammar

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yes I agree. Then we trade some guys to go get a wing imo. Hopefully not Dillon Brooks.

Arnel and theDude like this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

One of my favorite off-court FVV moments lol

slothy420, Will, hajkov and 2 others like this.