1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sengun has a really high rate in steals, but he also has absurdly high turnover rate and foul rates. There's nothing wrong about letting rookies work their way up the rotation, Sengun doesn't have to be gifted the starting role, even if he has more raw skill. He needs to learn how to play without turning it over and fouling first, and honestly the same should go for Green and KPJ, neither of them deserves to be starting either, IMO.

Nook and whag00 like this.
  2. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

He should start..... most of the high ranking nba draftee are starting....he needs more minutes.....if Mobley getting 30 minutes a game he deserve those minutes as well

3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

MC31B likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

imho he s all sorts out of rhythm because playing in 3 minute spurts...imagine harden playing in 3 minute spurts..or steph or durant ....it wouldnt work for them either

again ...i hope they send him to g league to get some serious PT and polish jumpshot...if he needs to chuck 3s let it be g league where hell get enough time do practice other stuff too

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol sengun is our best player...and he doesnt deserve to start??
    [​IMG]

CXbby likes this.
  6. dmoneybangbang

Theis is pretty far down the list of issues. We have Sengun on a rookie contract, he’s fine coming off the bench for the time being.

Easy likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

yeah, the most important thing is to fire Silas, many of the issues will self correct after that....

8. Damion Laverne

Theis is shooting way too many threes. Mid-range and in. Should not be playing next to Wood.

ak99999 likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

for 10 millions dollars he should be a much better 3pt shooter...if only silas had a clue how to coach him into practicing more...

but cf told me nothing ever is his fault and he is paid his millions only for the specific purpose of submitting coaches challenges once a game ...lolololo

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

and if your coach cant make an inferior player to play better than normal, what purpose that coach serves?
    perhaps if given few years silas will be able to make inferior players look better, BUT anybody would be able to do that if given 5-10 years to learn his craft.. a good coach should be able to produce results and produce them fast, we should not be held hostages to silas or be his guinea pigs!
    [​IMG]

11. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I think it's not about making players playing better than they actually are, but using their strengths in a system that amplifies the whole team's play. And so far he hasn't been able to do that.

Right now he's not putting the players in right positions to be more efficient and play well, and as a result our offense is bad. I know We're supposed to be losing, but the way We play irks me. The slow tempo, the lazy passes and lazy turnovers, the inability to string a quarter of good play...Those things shouldn't happen as much as they are happening.

Joe Rocket and hakeem94 like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Atleast KJ can shoot and I am convinced that Wood would be really successfully as a 4 with Sengun passing to him. if we put green at 1 KPJ at 2 and KJ at 3 with Senguns passing thats an extremely athletic group.

No Worries and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

But giving him more minutes is letting him play through these things. Where as you're holding him back based on his negative points. Well Theis's negative points far outweigh Senguns. So why does Sengun have to work his way to a place that he's already above. If he fouls out he fouls out thats part of learning. We've got Garuba sitting right there or you can go small with Wood. This is the issue I have with Silas he seems as scared as your post is. We're losing anyway. He needs more minutes not to get yanked out when things arent going well.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Silas apologists have no place to stand, and nowhere to go, theyre defending him purely out of contrarian reflex
    [​IMG]

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is so beautifully put, but i wouldn't also exclude a good coach making players better...

a good coach should be able to inspire a player to become a better player or shooter and to provide him with tools and mechanisms to do so...I dont see that with silas

how come he didnt took tate and nwaba under his wing and made them 40% shooters?

i mean in todays nba if you aint 3pt shooter youre simply not playable.... its the single most important skill...and its not that hard to become better you just a have to put the work in

nwaba even had one year where he shot 42% from 3 when he was on broklyn)....its a small sample size of 20 games but whatever, working with a great coach he should be able to replicate that or near that efficiency

i just dont see it with silas

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

tate and nwaba not being 40% shooters is much more on the players, than silas. and that 42% for nwaba is an obvious fluke of a minuscule sample size of like 1 shot a game in that span of 20. its no where near indicative of him being that good of a shooter. and he isn't

17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Theis hasn’t looked great so far , but I doubt that’s the whole story .

Imo many players that are primarily defensive players don’t look good if they aren’t on team capable of playing together on D . Just like a shooter / post up big man could look bad when they aren’t on a team that they can fit into .

right now with green and kpj at the guards it’s hard for theis to be a good fit . wood gets the occasional block , but I don’t think he’s a particularly good defender either . So it’s theis and Tate . I’m a huge Tate fan , but he’s also been inconsistent to start the year .

natrually , if we stop turning over the ball as much and grow as a defensive unit ... then theis will start looking like he’s earning a bit of that paycheck .

but take for example the level of player of PJ tucker . This guy was one of the best defenders in the NBA , and he’d have games where he wasn’t up to par offensively and CF would act like he’s a g-league scrub. So , most only can see half the game anyways .

in the nba you get paid by the inch. Theis is still tall (ish)

Nook likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

cmon stop the insanity... sengun is miles better than the german guy...theis would be perhaps good on lakers or a contender but in silas system hes redundant and harmful...hes fake tough guy...

Dovahkiin likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

oh its players fault really?
    cmon now its never silas fault...hahahahah!!

i will ask you again why you pay the coach millions if he doesnt improve the players ?

anyone, even the cf members, can do what stephen silas has done - lose the most games in nba and make your players perform worse than how they performed before...lolololl

if you arent making a difference then why have you at all...
    so this is a lacmus test for a coach
    you may blame the players(and rightfully so) but if coach cant inspire them, motivate them, scare or straight order them to become better then hes not a good coach and should be let go

anyone can coach a lebron curry or harden, the true coach can make nwaba and tate a better player by either using a stick or a carrot

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

This post is all sorts of badly misinformed and nonsense. A coach is supposed to magically make players better. No. A player has actual the work ethic to make themselves better. A coach is merely an added tool. No you couldn’t do what Silas does. Don't kid yourself. That’s the problem. Folks on cf’s want to act like armchairs. Half of y’all have no clue what y’all are talking about. The reality is most of you couldn't even succeed at the bottom local recreation level. You’ve obviously never ever played at any level of organized sports if you can’t even grasp these concepts. There’s no such thing as a coach making fringe nba players like nwaba and Tate better. They are what they are. Someone gave you the ridiculous idea that magic can be done

#600 YOLO, Nov 2, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2021