1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Daniel Theis (4 years, $36M)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Aug 2, 2021.

1. Glendelicious

Glendelicious Member

I was just wondering last night, how long can the Rockets be bad? Well, I think the answer is they're planning on 4 years of this.

roslolian and CVcrew like this.
  2. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Why are folks happy we still have the MLE, like we will use it?

Der Rabbi likes this.
  3. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

You are actually trolling. If you read, it clearly stated that the contract wasn’t full guaranteed. This was a good signing if you watched any basketball

4. ElDobleK

ElDobleK Literally Zan Tabak

Seriously. Imagine clamoring for a guy who's played 11 games in the last 2 seasons.

5. CircaSurvive

CircaSurvive Member

Forreal I'm convinced no one actually watches. Everyone was so surprised Olynk could play and it will be the same thing with Theis. More limited offensively but makes up for it with defense and hustle.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm happy because Tilman gets to keep more money

7. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Flexibility. Just in case some opportunity in free agency or during the season presents itself. I don’t think it will be used, but it wouldn’t hurt to take a chance on bidding on some Restricted free agents with it.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I don't see the point here. if he helps win 5 more games and we go from a top 5 pick to a top 10 pick how does that help us?

I mean I guess you have to spend your money, and maybe do some favors for some agents by signing their guys so maybe one day they steer a max guy your way?

idk I just don't see the point of signing this guy, especially when we need to maximize minutes for Sengun and Garuba.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now that I've heard the money, I want to hear about the guaranteed money in the deal. The fact that it's not fully guaranteed makes me a fan of the move already

10. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

that's what she said...?

11. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't been this excited since we got Omer Asik.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

First of all size isnt everything. Theis despite only being 6'8 is seen as a more valuable contributor compared to Noel.

Secondly Theis is a professional and thats the kind of vet you want around a bunch of impressionable rookies. Noel seems to have a screw loose, this is back in his Philly days but he got sued for being a major slob and destroying the house he was renting at the time:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...ing-really-gross-things-to-a-rental-home/amp/

I'm not sure if he cleaned up his act already but I'd rather avoid cancer cells if possible.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Can't say nothing bad about defense. I like it.

Drift Monkey and raining threes like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

The fourth year of Theis’ contract will be at a team option.

15. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3 year deal with team option for fourth

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

You dont want complete rooks holding the fort from day 1. You want some structure or someone they can use as reference considering Sengun and Garuba are foreigners.

Wood missed like half the season last year. We need another big if Olynk is gonzo.

I would be surprised if Theis moves the needle win wise. If you look at what Olynk brought last year I have a hard time seeing Theis surpass that and the Rox still ended up with the worst record.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

So it will be something like 8.67 mill per over 3 years, essentially.

That's okay, but I'm confused on why are giving 3-year deals when everybody else expires in 2

I'm confused why we didn't bring back Vanilla Cream Dream for 2/25 instead.

Aruba77 likes this.
  19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Exactly. Theis will give the rooks hell in practice and be a pro anytime you put him in — happy with the signing.

20. awc713

awc713 Member

Theis will be serviceable. He’s an average big in today’s game. We could do worse. I want a top 3 pick next year, and he shouldn’t get in the way of that. He should help immensely with defense which was atrocious last year, and yeah, I don’t think it’ll be bad to have him around a bunch of teenagers.