1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Cameron Oliver

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, May 9, 2021.

1. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rafael Stone, Eli Witus

saleem and ApacheWarrior like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I must admit, I have liked the two latest pickups of Khyri Thomas and Cameron Oliver.

Kenyon Martin stepping up his game in the last 4 games. Hitting about 54% on 6 (3 point) attempts
    per game. Mechanics are not great, as he kinda spreads his feet while shooting and leans a tad to
    the left (shoulders not square with the rim); but the ball has gone in.

Oliver needs to get his FT shooting above that 69%. Want him somewhere above 75%, at least.

I wouldn't exclude Patrick Fertitta from the decision making. I blame him for some Rockets moves,
    I will give him credit for others. Ultimately those at the top take responsibility....if you wish to include
    Eli Witus............OK

#42 ApacheWarrior, May 10, 2021
    Last edited: May 10, 2021
  3. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

It’s official. Rockets applied for a second hardship exception so no one was released.

D-rock, fckbandwagons and saleem like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Keeper.

DD

5. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

6. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Needs to work on his defense.

D-rock, RocketsTerps and saleem like this.
  7. raining threes

They all need to work on their defense.

I wonder if roster turnover, young players getting their first shot or the lack of ability is causing the Rockets defensive woes.

RocketsTerps and D-rock like this.
  8. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

The slap tip was very impressive in slow mo. Not as impressive as Dream's game winner against the Magic, or Ralph's against LA.

saleem likes this.
  9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I see what you're saying, but that is the entire roster which is the worst team in the NBA. I think the team has found some hidden gems, there just isn't a diamond that can get you into the playoffs. The numbers all seem inflated, not sure if defense is awful and we are getting more possessions, but the we are tanking argument only goes so far, the team at this point should be trying to win since losses do nothing to help draft position. We have many role players, can we trade 2-3 of them for a bonified disgruntled young star? Maybe if the BK picks start looking good w an implosion of their team. Until I see a young guy will us to a victory a few nights in a row and show some leadership, I am not convinced there is a diamond here. Wood is the only guy who seems upset w losing. Ant Edwards at 19 you can see that he has swagger, leadership skills etc that you don't see in KPJ, Tate, etc. No one is really a vocal leader. That desire to win should be present before youre in the league, these guys mostly seem to be concerned w keeping a roster spot vs winning.

10. fattz

fattz Member

I understand your thoughts. The players playing are about their roster spots because that’s their livelihoods and where they are in their real lives; Olynyk included. The other players mentioned all have long term contracts. Our players not so much.
    Let it happen because it’s going to happen regardless... roll over, set up, crawl, pull up, stand, walk, run, sprint. We can barely eat solid foods. What I see is a coachable team coming together. I don’t want players tantruming and saying what they or others should do. Just play ball and get better every day. I see lots of things I really like in the organization. All the way to injuries to the veteran players and the youth playing. If the high draft pick happens it’s just added bonus. Player “Leadership” belongs on the bench because it is useless on team like ours for now. We are about player development and perseverance to the end of this season. Not players playing the role of leadership that is coach’s job. One could ask Wall his thoughts because there is our leadership. (I personally don’t want anyone to follow). See leadership on dysfunctional team is usually has no purpose.

11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rafael Stone in his Press Conference always praises Eli Witus, he mentions his Eli intelligence, Smartest Guy in the Room.
    Rafael Stone is the one calling other GMs on trades.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That powerful dunk was amazing and so was the tap in from mid air. Ben Mac was stunned! Improved 3 point shooting, defense and rebounding is what Cam needs to focus on in the off season for a guaranteed contract.

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

All of the above.

D-rock and raining threes like this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Re: defense or lack thereof.

Most of our players are playing for their next contract and they all know scoring and stats are what makes that happen, so we have a massive focus on offense and none on D.

that should settle next season, I hope.

DD

fattz likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hurts to see former rockets legend Ben Mclemore in those clips

@Os Trigonum

16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

How did you like that sweet 360 degree dunk 13 seconds into the clip?

Nice layups off the glass? Larry Johnson-ish

right @sydmill

napalm06 likes this.
  17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Once I got over my extreme concern at seeing McLemore in a Lakers uniform, I really enjoyed the clips. That kind of hand eye and athleticism are needed, but I would certainly like to see many more rebounds. And a PG that can use a lob threat.

18. sydmill

sydmill Member

LJ averaged 19 and 11 as a 22 year old rookie. Oliver just set a career high with 17 and 2 as a 24 year old who had to go to Australia to get a roster spot before the worst team in the NBA signed him. I'm not sure I'm eating crow yet on your LJ/Scottie Pippen comparison for Oliver.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Larry Johnson played in a time centers and power forwards could be found at 285 pounds.

No had Kuminga with LJ short game and Pippen fast break game. I'm looking at rim/mid-range
    ball release of Kuminga-LJ. Body of Kuminga is a bit more lanky than LJ at UNLV. Weight difference
    of LJ about 235 (@ UNLV) and Kuminga at 225 pounds.

When Kuminga gets to 235 that they will have similar games. But I digress.

Oliver I just said looked like Larry Johnson body and game....even the jersey coming
    out of the back of the shorts.

I don't want you to eat crow. I was just messing with you. If you can't see LJ looking like LJ.
    Then oh well.

Here is LJ at UNLV in case it was before your time. Supposedly a little bigger than Oliver now

Different era different game now. Doesn't need to be that heavy as LJ 250 pounds in NBA

Then Cam Oliver who looks bigger than in these clips.

#59 ApacheWarrior, May 14, 2021
    Last edited: May 14, 2021
  20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Really good points, and it makes sense this team does not have people voicing concern yet, and I guess that is not to be misunderstood as being content with losing. Maybe they feel like they are all on the same page as to all being in a place where they can improve together, vs. other situations with younger players not working hard and having a veteran (thinking Butler in Minn situation) voice his opinion that players need to come up to his level. This does make me begin to question if Wood makes sense to have on the roster if next year is similar to this year. I can see him at 26 going on to 27 after next season feeling he is in a different place than the rest of the roster.