1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Rockets sign Bruno Fernando to camp deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Unless something has changed, only one year is guaranteed and the Rockets have options on the other years. That means minimal risk and possibly a solid reward.

Age wise he fits the Rockets timeline better than guys like Boban and Favors.

carib, dmoneybangbang, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  2. i3artow i3aller

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I actually liked what I saw from him as a backup big last season, but given his lack of PT and the way the offseason played out I'm more than a little surprised they're giving him a roster spot.

Deals like these only present upside for a rebuilding team, no risk.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Is it really that complicated? One of Boban or Favors will be waived or traded, we have time. This is a great deal for the Rockets, we get Bruno essentially for free. Maybe cheaper than "free" in the NBA. Not a lot of confidence from his agent I gotta say.

When's the cut off date to get down to 15 players?

5. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yup. I love Boban, but if he’s waived, I get it. Thankfully we have a couple weeks to figure it out.

D-rock likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I still think we keep Boban and package Favors with EG (and KMJ) before the season starts.

7. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Gordon looked great with the starters. KMJ was the first or second off the bench. I doubt either is traded any time soon.

D-rock and don grahamleone like this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We don't agree about much, but I agree with you 100% here

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bruno can actually finish a pick and roll!!

D-rock, pmac and don grahamleone like this.
  10. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I know a lot of people is going to disagree with me. But I think Bruno is a starting calibre center with all-defensive team potential. He offers so much more than Sengun on both ends of the floor. Sengun is so overhyped.

Imanimal and maj21 like this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

WHAT YOU TALK'N BOUT ASHLEYEM?? LOL

You're about to get ran off of Clutchfans with that statement! I know what you're saying and although I think Sengun and Bruno bring different skill sets to the game personally, they are pretty much the same....Young improving centers.

don grahamleone likes this.
  12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I just don't believe Sengun's skillset can translate into team success. Yes, he's skilled with a lot of flashy moments. But he's not good enough a shooter to be an effective high post playmaker, his low post is solid but too slow and struggles against athletic opponent. He's not a good finisher. His flashy moments on offense is not enough to offset his lack of athleticism on defense.

On he other hand, Fernando understands his role and doesn't do too much. He offers great rim protection. He complements exceptionally well with both of our guards because he's such a good finisher and a lob target. He brings so much more than Sengun on both ends.

Corrosion, DrNuegebauer and maj21 like this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Exactly the one reason I like it is because our GM really values family and creating that unity so rewarding a youngin’ early is in line with that.

14. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

Skip... Is that you?

D-rock and Drift Monkey like this.
  15. PatBev

PatBev Member

I never saw anything I disliked from him last year the small parts he played and I liked what I saw from him last night and KPJ connection

does he have small playmaking ability? I feel I’ve seen him whip that ball out to the post several times

D-rock likes this.
  16. Juxtaposed Jolt

Fernando has played a total of 10 regular season games with last year's Rockets, 1 preseason game with this year's Rockets, and you're already ready to say he's a better player than Sengun, at least for this team? Come on, man.

First off, Sengun is only 20. Let that sink in. If he was on the wrong side of 30 and still averaging what he averaged last season, then I'd agree with you - he'd be wrong for this team.

"Not good enough of a shooter to be an effective high post playmaker." Draymond Green has zero offense, yet he's a major engine that makes the Warriors go, on offense. You're acting like there's no blueprint of success for a player like Sengun, when there's clearly a prime example of a dude with bad perimeter offense but can be the primary playmaker.

"His low post is solid but too slow and struggles against athletic opponents." Blueprint = Nikola Jokic. I bet that's what critics were saying about Jokic when he was 20, as well. And their stats are pretty similar when compared at age 20.

I'm not saying Sengun is going to be Draymond or Jokic, but to give up on a 20 year old in favor of someone far more unproven, is absolutely ridiculous. Fernando is 24 and the Rockets are his 3rd team in 3 years. If he was that good, he'd have staying power.

17. i3artow i3aller

#177 i3artow i3aller, Oct 3, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
  18. maj21

maj21 Member

Don’t say anything negative about Sengun, you’ll piss a lot of people off. Is it me or does Silas doesn’t seem to be very enthusiastic about Sengun. He’s mentioned they can be switchable when he’s out of games, and last thing he said he’s skilled but doesn’t have the athleticism. He played well last night, but I like what Bruno brings too.

ashleyem, D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  19. maj21

maj21 Member

Yes!!! Somebody finally sees what I’ve been saying for months!! Loved how Sengun looked with that team on offense last night, but I worry when the competition increases. He’s only 20, though. Bruno is a very underrated passes imo, just throwing that out there

ashleyem likes this.
  20. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

It's funny that on the thread for the Theiss-Schro trade everyone was like "Bruno who??" and I said that after 5 games of this guy, lots of people on the board will be crazy for him and will want to keep him.

If we hold on to Maledon it'll 100% be the same thing. Book it.

maj21 likes this.