1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets sign Bruno Fernando to camp deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatBoyNick, Jul 26, 2022.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rox have 16 contracts including Favors, someone has to go.

DD

2. JW86

JW86 Member

Cut Matthews or Favors, because F U C K Favors and Boban better stay!!

3. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Sure, but this works both ways. If Garuba rides the bench and doesn't show improvement when next to the rest of the core, then he's going to be completely value-less next summer, and we would be ecstatic if we could dump his salary and get a decent pick back. My argument is that if you don't get minutes, you don't develop as quickly, and you don't increase your trade value. And by design of this Rockets team, one of Fernando and Garuba is going to be benched in favor of the other, since I really can't see either of them being able to play together.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that the small chance of Garuba breaking out is worth passing up the chance to secure a draft asset. My personal opinion is that all of the Rockets end-of-bench guys now are utterly replaceable, the kind of guys who get thrown into trades to balance salary, and maybe will surprise you with competence while filling in due to injury (exactly like Fernando). They aren't guys that teams will trade real assets for, and certainly aren't going to move the needle on a Wemby trade-up. Because of his draft position, Garuba might be the only one who could get anything of value back at this time; otherwise they're all getting cut at some point in the next two years as the Rockets get better.

End of the roster stuff is tough, and has a tendency to make you look really bad in retrospect. Imagine the following; you have to cut four of the following players:

26 year old journeyman PG who had played for 7 teams.
    High 2nd Round Pick PG in his second year.
    Undrafted player in his second year who shot 27% in summer league.
    Undrafted player in his second year who shot 40% from 3 in the G-league.
    First Round Rookie who can't make free throws.
    High Second Round rookie.
    Undrafted rookie who started 12 of 25 games and is averaging 6p/6r per game in his rookie year.

Ish Smith
    Isaiah Canaan
    Robert Covington
    Troy Daniels
    Clint Capela
    Nick Johnson
    Tarik Black

Flashback to your 2014 Rockets...I remember feeling that the first rounder was one of the worst players I've ever seen, and would never be ready. Meanwhile, they let go a rookie who was able to credibly start at center for a contender because they were cheap and his contract was non-guaranteed. In retrospect, I was obviously pretty wrong, and dumping the first rounder would have been a disaster. But we definitely would have been better off cutting bait on all of the 2nd rounders for the other undrafted guy who stunk it up as a second year summer leaguer...

Easy and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

RoCo and Capela were the only guys worth keeping on your list.

And only ONE of them (Clint) was an actual FRP.

For the most part I agree with you, I've had Garuba, Tate and KJ in many many EGo trade packages.

Just do not think SRP is a great return on a still 20 yo former FRP in 2nd season.

5. PeppermintCandy

Nah, he'll probably get better with more playing time. Though there doesn't seem to be a lot of that available in the Rockets frontcourt this year for him.

6. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Ish Smith has been a reasonably competent 20mpg PG for the last 7 years. I put him on the list as the Jae'Sean Tate comparison, a guy with clear flaws which might prevent him from being in a contender's rotation, but a guy who clearly has value in the league when he's a on a bargain contract, and a guy you do not want to lose for nothing. Plus, we had to trade for and play Pablo Prigioni in the playoffs that year. We definitely could have used Ish Smith.

At the end of the day, the balance of reputational risk probably just leans toward keeping Garuba. If he busts while on his rookie contract, just add him to the list of countless bigs who couldn't translate to the NBA. If you manage to get a second rounder, unless you draft Jokic with the pick or something, whoop-de-doo, you got 40 cents back on the dollar. If you trade him and he busts out, you get fired.

If I had odds like that for a decision at my job, I'd also probably err on the side of being conservative. I just feel like this would be a classic area where Morey would strike in the past, dumping a guy a bit too early when you can get something for him, rather than letting him drop his value to zero this year.

Here's to hoping that both Fernando and Garuba prove me as wrong as Capela did! I sincerely hope that I'm eating crow by December, as Garuba is flying all around the court and making us ask "Mobley Who"?

D-rock likes this.
  7. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

I said this in another thread but…

Besides age what is the real difference between Jalen Duren and Bruno Fernando?!

roslolian and ashleyem like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

I agree. Doesnt change the fsct that Garuba is less valuable than Bruno Fernando though.

9. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Y'all act like there is some grand shame in being a rotation level player in the NBA. Draft scouts comped Draymond and it's prime-DPOY championship defense or else.

Boban is a sideshow. Garuba is a better player.

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i don't see the point of matthews. i'd rather keep boban.

Sweet Lou 4 2 likes this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don't get the value of Mathews - what he does seems redundant and easily replaceable.

If you can't move anyone else, I think you have to cut him.

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

The point of Mathews escapes everyone until the dreaded injury bug hits.

The 5 Out and even 4 Out is dependent on above average 3P% efficiency and especially volume for success.

Above average 3P%
    Eric Gordon (41%)
    Kevin Porter Jr (38%)
    Garrison Mathews (36%)
    KJ Martin (36%)
    Jabari Smith Jr (42% - college)
    Tari Eason (36% - college)

Average 3P%
    TyTy Washington (35% - college)
    Jalen Green (34%)

Below average 3P%
    Jae'Sean Tate (31%)
    Mo Harkless (31%)
    Josh Christopher (30%)
    Daishen Nix (27%)
    Usman Garuba (25%)
    Boban Marjanovic (25%)
    Alperen Sengun (25%)
    Derrick Favors (13%)
    Bruno Fernando (0%)

Need to keep shooters like Mathews with quick triggers and who have no fear letting it fly in limited minutes.

Should have kept Trev Queen who was 38% 3P and legit switch defender.

Rockets actually need MORE 3ball snipers not less.

Boban is a fan favorite and great lockerroom guy but he is end of bench luxury because he will be unplayable most regular season games and all of postseason.

13. maj21

maj21 Member

Oh I agree with you on that

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This reminds me of trading Marcus Morris for a SRP. Morris ended up a much more valuable player than a SRP could get. But this is the kind of things that GMs are supposed to decide and get paid millions of dollars doing them.

roslolian and D-rock like this.
  15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

One of the dumbest trades made by Morey. We were in the middle of playoff hunt and he traded both PFs on the same day which left us a glaring hole in the PF spot. It remained a big problem even after we got Dwight. That was before the emergence of the Warriors. In retrospective, Morris would have been a perfect fit with Dwight. But Morey was clueless.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

There is no shame in being a rotation guy but if you are 3rd string player then you are always at risk of getting traded or getting cut. Ask Nwaba and Sterling Brown.

Draymond can shoot 3 and score in the post. Can Garuba do that?

Also Boban is better cuz of his vet presence and his mentorship and guidance of the young guys including Sengun, Tari and Jabari.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Depends on the draft. Kendall Brown and Diabate were available for SRP this draft. I'd rather have either over Garuba.

18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Queen felt like a better keep if we wanted a scoring guard who couldn't guard on the other end.

19. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Why? We already have 6 centers. IMO we should buyout Favors. Mathews is one of our best shooters. Tate, KJ and Eason aren't natural shooter and they are going to have problems in terms of spacing. Mathews offers a different type of skillset. But I understand contract wise, he is the easiest to cut.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Boban should be gone. Why give up potential on a re-building team for someone who will never have an impact on your team? Garuba has shown real flashes of being a very effective role player. Fernando has too. Matthews beefed up and can shoot. No reason to release him either. Rockets roster without a trade:

KPJ/Nix/tyty
    Green/JGup/Matthews
    Gordon/Tate/KJ
    Smith/Eason/Garuba
    Sengun/Favors/Fernando

Gordon, Favors and maybe picks will probably be traded at some point this season. Not a fan of Nix and wouldn’t lose any sleep if they let him go if they see someone else with better potential.

Dankstronaut likes this.