1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah but don't you think by then Rubio's contract will have almost expired? He only has two years on it.

2. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Rubio is just what the Rockets need another player who can't shoot.

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Minny with the weak attempt to gain leverage in negotiations. Everyone knows RR is gone...just a matter of when.

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

If Rubio is to be traded, what teams would be interested? Maybe philly? Maybe Houston?

5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

And this isn't me trying to bash Rubio it just seems like a lot of teams are set at the point

6. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Never tell heyp who he can disrespect ... :eek:

:p

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Respek DISRESPEK

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

good thing I do not follow the once Spanish wonder kid.

9. Vivi

Vivi Member

And you're right.

At this point there're only few teams potentially interested in him...Rockets, Kings, maybe Phila and Brooklyn...i would also keep an eye on Pelicans and Suns since they have players on the trade block in that spot and the way they want to play they may benefit in having a pg like Rubio but yeah, those at best.

We also know they tried to trade him in the past weeks and there wasn't a lot of interest so, this seems more a move to try to gain a bit of leverage like Plowman said. Dunn is clearly their guy at this point, he fits the core of the team better, Rubio is not old, but i just don't see him as a part of a Thibs team honestly...he needs to play in a different basketball situation then what Thibs probably wants (i.e. two bigs, half court plays).

10. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Are you just making stuff up or what? Rubio is amazing in the half-court. Thats where he makes his living, that and defense.

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I mean slow paced offense, that's why i said "two bigs". Rubio would certainly do better in an up tempo offense, which is not what Thibs wanted to play in Chicago.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Rockets could be interested in Rubio backing up Beverley. But they'll want some sweeteners because he's really bad at basketball.

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

You'll See!!

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

SIGH.

Take this thread out behind the barn and shoot it.

I guess the thread lives because these are the doldrums of summer and we have to talk about SOMEthing. I know Rubio won't be on the same team by the end of the next season, and I know Morey loves bargains (which the guy's contract has become, in today's NBA), and I know Morey once had major wood over Rubio (when he was drafted), and I know Morey has a penchant for chasing after the same players until he gets them, and I know we need help at point guard.....

Still. The thread that does not die.

15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

To all the Cfan users with boiling blood over this thread still being here

Rubio has something to say to you

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZZgU0cT_TfI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  16. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

2018 Rockets signs Rubio

Basketballholic on the GARM

I told yall so, my inside source told me we will acquire him in 2018. It was confidential, so I didn't want to leak out that type of info. But I was right Morey was interested in him all alone. Lol

1 person likes this.
  17. finsraider

finsraider Member

I thought he was a fit at first, but MDA has repeatedly said that players can contribute if they can shoot. Based on our roster moves to this point, I'd be a little surprised if we trade for Rubio unless it's a dirt cheap deal.

18. dobro1229

I look back at the cautionary tale of Ty Lawson here. Everyone knew that Ty was available, but we kept on hearing people say "if they wanted him so bad, why haven't they traded for him yet??". Then it comes out that there was pressure from Harden & Howard and others to make the trade, and Morey ultimately gave in.... and the evidence, it turns out, was correct that he wasn't a great fit, and there was a reason Morey never saw him as a target to begin with.

Back to Rubio.

We all know that Rubio has been somewhat available for some time although there is no real huge need from a cap or roster standpoint for the TWolves to move Rubio. If Morey wanted to though.... he sure as hell could get him. Two first rounders, and its done.

So despite Morey willing to trade up to get him on draft night (which might have been a strategic way of tanking at the time by removing some vets to trade up in the draft) there is a huge amount of evidence that suggests Morey doesn't pencil him in as the difference maker Hollic seems to think he is. His data obviously shows that they shouldn't make the trade.

That being said, why do we continue to question NOT making a move for a player, when we've seen head on last time the risk of outside pressures forcing Morey into trading for a player that he has the data to prove they aren't a difference maker???

If Rubio isn't already a Rocket than I want no part of him. The reasons he's not already a Rockets are the reasons he will likely be a failed experiment next to Harden if traded for.

19. Red Hova

Red Hova Member

While I agree with a lot of what you said, IMO it's not so much that Morey did not get Rubio yet, it's more the fact that he got Pablo Prigioni instead. No young point guard talent at all! Harden will stink at the point guard position he's already proven that. Patrick Beverley sucks as a point guard starter and that Pablo is actually the best point guard at the team at almost 40 years old. Morey is attempting to use Gorilla tape to fix a hole in the Hoover Dam

20. dobro1229

I'll skip the analogies and just say that a systemic problem isn't always caused by the point of rupture. While its a problem that the PG position is exposed on a nightly basis its likely not the most effective spot to upgrade to see the most significant change in overall results.

That's what I mean when I point to Morey's data that shows what will drive production. For whatever reason it proves to THEM that it was more important to upgrade the 4 spot, and a 6th man spot than the PG spot this offseason. Enough to pay two super huge contracts for... which might be more costly than multiple draft picks.

So what Morey's data is showing most importantly to us that we should take note of is that there are bigger fish to fry than the PG position. They made a mistake listening to us, and the players last offseason by trading for Lawson so maybe at least for this year we need to give Morey the benefit of the doubt because WE the fans were wrong last year about how a simple upgrade in the playmaking abilities of the PG would make a difference... we were damn wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.