1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets showing interest in trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Disciple2123, Jun 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I think having two creators helped us a lot in 13-14. Having a guy like Rubio, Llull, or even Lin as a secondary creator (forgive the blasphemy but remember what D'Antoni could do with Lin as a 6th man or secondary guy) would help take the load off of Harden a lot.

2. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lmao your too funny

3. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Rondo is clutch but he scares me with his attitude, the miles and he can't hit free throws, I agree if we had the magical off-season and got KD adding Rondo could be a better fit than Rubio based on actual big time experience. Good point.

I'd still prefer Conley even a high price. I wonder how Conley feels about Jeff Bzdelik and MDA...

4. malakas

malakas Member

Why is this thread still going on? The new wolves gm is Thibs and Rubio is 1 of the only 2 of their young players that can play any defence. Theres no way he gets traded. Just let it go.

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Rubio is getting a little frustrated about not making the playoffs:

"Me marqué un objetivo cuando llegué a Minnesota. Llevaban siete o ocho años sin llegar a Playoffs, y tenía la esperanza de llevar a este equipo a Playoffs y la sigo teniendo". De todas formas, los resultados están minando ese objetivo: "Es muy duro mentalmente ver como año tras año no se cumple el objetivo".

Which basically translates to: "when I came to Minnesota they hadn't been to the playoffs in 7 or 8 years, so I made getting them there my goal. It's really hard to year after year fail at your goal.

"Esta es una temporada clave. Llevo cinco años en la NBA, seis años sin Playoffs sería mucho tiempo. Tendría 26 años y tendría que empezar a pensar en un equipo que pueda estar en las Finales y que pueda ganar".

Translates to: I've been in the league 5 years to go 6 would be a lot of time (basically saying he would have wasted his time). I'd be 26 and I'd have to start thinking of a team that can make (and win) the finals.

http://www.vavel.com/es/baloncesto/nba/643344-ultimatum-de-ricky-rubio-si-no-llego-a-playoffs-cambiare-de-equipo.html

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If he could hit a lay-up from 2 feet out maybe Minnesota would have been better at some point. He sucks. On a very strong offensive team he could come is as a divisive player but he is such a massive liability on offense.

Since coming onto the league he has never ever hit as much as .400% on his 2pt shots. His overall FG% has never ever been more than .381%.

Defense is great, passing is great but at some point you have to prove to the other team you can hit a shot or they are not going to guard you. Imagine how bad he would be roasted here in Houston. And playing here in Houston he would lose control of the one thing he does well and thats running the offense. James would not turn that over to Rubio.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Let's just assume for a minute James did willingly turn the ball over to Rubio. Think about how good the other four players on the floor would have to be to make up for having a player that cannot shoot on the floor at a position that is a premium position for shooting. While not impossible, it would be very difficult. In Minnesota it may work because the Wolves have KAT who is a very promising shooter and Thibs will win a lot of low scoring games.

8. crash5179

I think we are essentially in agreement.
    1. James is not going to turn the offense over to Rubio.

2. We are assuming all of the other four players are good enough that the opposing defenses will not cheat off of them. Last season opposing defenses cheated off of players not named James Harden a lot.

3. Whenever Rubio is on the floor opposing defenses have an extra defender to throw at the other 4 players essentially making the Rockets play 4 versus 5.

4. No team respects Rubio's ability to make them suffer for not guarding him. He can't hit a 2 foot lay-up with any consistency.

5. You can't put Rubio on the floor without James because it would be almost impossible for the Rockets to score points. Can you imagine Rubio and Brewer on the floor together? It worked so well in Minnesota before right? If Klay Thompson and Steph Currey are the "Splash Bothers" then Rubio and Brewer would be the "Clank Brothers".

A couple of things to consider since we know that James is going to be the primary ball handler and this really isn't up for debate IMO.

1. James running mate is going to have to be able to play off of the ball on offense.

2. James running mate will have to be a good defender.

3. Rubio might be the single worst player off of the ball player in the entire league. If we hated Jeremy Lin imagine how bad we will hate Rubio.

4. Patrick Beverley, who is already under contract, is a vastly superior off the ball player than Rubio in any and every imaginable way.

2015 / 2016 Stats
    - 2pt FG%
    Rubio .396
    Beverley .472

- 3pt FG%
    Rubio .326
    Beverley . 400

- Overall FG%
    Rubio .374
    Beverley .434

- Effective FG%
    Rubio .427
    Beverley .539

Career Stats
    - 2pt FG%
    Rubio .384
    Beverley .459

- 3pt FG%
    Rubio .318
    Beverley . 373

- Overall FG%
    Rubio .368
    Beverley .412

- Effective FG%
    Rubio .406
    Beverley .514

Rubio on the Rockets is a recipe for disaster.

#808 crash5179, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
  9. basketballholic

Dude. Do you watch the games?

Rubio is the point of an offense. He has the ball. He's not a corner spot-up shooter. He has the ball. They guard him. Because he has the ball. They're going to keep guarding him. Because he has the ball. They have to guard him. Because he has the ball. If they didn't guard him he'd go to the rack and lay it in. Because he has the ball. If they fade off him, he has the ball. He will drag the big outside on the pick that isn't there and then the paint is open and he'll penetrate anyways. Because he has the ball. If they pack the paint he's going to find a wide open shooter. Because he has the ball. If they totally fade his defender off him and have his defender double the post, he'll move the big out and he'll go to the hole. Because he has the ball.

How many times do I have to say it? He has the ball. Have you ever seen him play? He has the ball. How many times do you have to see it to understand? He has the ball. They have to guard him because he has the ball.

10. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

good morning guys, LMAO, he has the ball.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Can someone please tell me who has the ball in Minnesota?

12. crash5179

I would just like to add that anyone wanting Rubio should prepare themselves for a lot of the following because defense are going to force him to shoot the ball.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WHX8gLWDjwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is it any wonder the guy has never hit more than 39% of his 2pt shots? If he was on a team where his only responsibility was running the offense and not having to but the ball in the basket he would probably be pretty good. But on a team where he would spend most of his time playing off of the ball while James Harden handled the ball he would be a disaster.

13. crash5179

Rubio has the ball in Minnesota. James has the ball in Houston and that will not change.

14. theangrycanary

nope. they still don't guard him. he's that bad. they just sag off him.

15. crash5179

Yep. Like all NBA players he can get streaky but he is such a bad shooter and such a bad finisher at the rim that there is nothing about his shooting that makes him a reliable off the ball player or a reliable player driving to the basket or in the paint period. I admit that on a team with 4 other very good offensive players he could be a great guy to be running the offense but teams will always try to force him to shoot the ball.

Rubio shooting the ball is a nightmare scenario for whatever team he is playing for. It has been that way for 5 years and he has shown nothing to indicate that has changed.

16. MD_in_Training

Lol, wut? Just because you are the point doesn't mean you have the ball EVERY SINGLE MOMENT of the game. What happens when he dumps the ball to KAT in the post? Does he still have the ball? How about when he gives it to Wiggins on the high post? Does he still have the ball? What if Wiggins or Lavine ISO's on top of the key? Does he still have the ball? In each of these situations, Rubio's defender is able to sag off him and provide help defense.

This isn't even to point out that when Rubio DOES have the ball, he becomes A LOT easier to defend if he can't hit the outside jumper or finish efficiently in the lane. That isn't to say that he can't still be part of a good offensive squad, but it does significantly hamper the team's offensive potential.

17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Please keep Rubio far far away from this team. I'm over not having shooters.

18. basketballholic

What do you think hurts a team worse, Rubio missing shots or Harden turning the ball over?

19. MistaK

MistaK Member

Rubio missing shots!

Has Harden missed the playoffs once since coming to HOU? Has Rubio ever made the playoffs, even though the ball was in his hands?

Yeah Harden is TO-prone at times, but he affects the game in a positive way. Way more than Rubio ever has or ever will.

1) I don't think Minny will be trading Rubio at this point.

2) Even if they did, he wouldn't be a perfect fit here. You wanna try getting as many shooters as possible. Rubio can't hit outside shots - be it a 3 or a 2 and he isn't great at finishing at the rim either.

20. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IceQqmOJzFk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:cool::p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.