1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets seeking a "very good first-rounder" for KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Tate has very little value and KMJ will want a hefty extension if the off-season reports are any indication.

Time to quote the late Daryl Morey "You want to be the team that finds the Chandler Parsons, not pays them". It's quite possible that KMJ's value is at the highest right now and if we can ship him and Ego for assets then I'm on board.

Our core is Jalen+Jabari. Everyone else is an after thought unless you think they can develop into a 3rd star. In my mind, KMJ is not a third star so he does not need to be prioritized.

Y2JT, BigMaloe, evo8lover and 7 others like this.
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I don't mind keeping KJ but he already asked out. He might just leave after his contract is up anyway. If you can get a good pick just do it.

Y2JT, evo8lover and i3artow i3aller like this.
  3. marky :)

marky :) Member

It has to be more than just a pick if we're dealing KJM. Would have to be someone we can play now.
    What's the point of trading him for picks. Then we wait around hoping the picks turns out to be a player we need like KJM...

4. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Your core won’t develop properly surrounded by garbage. Also the most KJ can even make is around 10 million because of his contract. That’s not breaking the bank. It’s not the same particulars’s as the Parsons situation

5. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

We already have a bag of chips @Reeko

upload_2022-12-12_14-17-3.png

Reeko and i3artow i3aller like this.
  6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

We should trade KMJ for a young, hyper-athletic improving player that hustles hard and plays with a chip on his shoulder ... Like KMJ.

The only scenario we trade KMJ should be a "too good to refuse" situation or for a young upcoming PG.

BHannes2BHonest and Space City like this.
  7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Rafael?

VooDooPope likes this.
  8. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trade Gordon for what we can get (hopefully a first rounder) and keep KJ. Why take a chance on an unknown draft pick when you know you already have something good?

HTownTmac1 and King1 like this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

ANything else would be uncivilized

I think like 90% of people leaving is Sign and Trades
    Unless the team just don't like them

Rocket River

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I didn't realize that we could decline the team option on KMJ and make him a restricted free agent this offseason.

We should do that and not trade him.

red5rocket, Corrosion and xaos like this.
  11. VoR

VoR Member

We have a logjam. We aren't getting rid of Tate. Eason needs minutes. Garuba needs minutes. KMJ wants to start. KMJ starting doesn't fit our timeline. We need to move Gordon. Just one more season of tanking. Get some assets. Enjoy that we turned KMJ into a first round pick back and keep churning. This is a business that requires difficult decisions. KMJ has nice chemistry with the rest of the team, but I'm guessing we are seeing his peak right here. If he is going to grow in a different trajectory, the Suns might be able to give him some of that Cam Johnson Miles Bridges magic.

xaos likes this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Kj for bridges. I’m down.

Streakshooter and evo8lover like this.
  13. VoR

VoR Member

Beauchamp is a longshot possibility, which I am intrigued by.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if only we didnt lose PLAYING TIME for the young...we dont need these picks...we have plenty of them...too bad we dont know how to develop...

Ankara1923 likes this.
  15. xaos

xaos Member

Yeah I don't disagree with that at all.

I like KMJ and he seems to have great chemistry with Green/Sengun/Smith so that's really important.

I do believe if Williams reaches his potential he'll be a better player and fit with Green/Smith than KMJ is. So, I think how you feel about Sengun really plays a big factor one whether or not Williams is worth the gamble.

Me personally, I'd probably do the trade, but it wouldn't be without some reservations.

Again, I also think we should actively pursue Tate/Gordon trades before we make any KMJ trades...

16. i3artow i3aller

17. monster

monster Member

I'd prefer to keep KMJ. He brings energy and chemistry.....plus he's damn fun to watch, and he's getting better at most everything. If it's about a logjam, well then, you do what you have to do. BUT, i don't care how many 2nd round picks you get, it's not enough. If we're going to move him, it needs to be for a long rebounder who can stretch the floor. They're at a premium, so I don't know how that happens.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why would you trade KJ for 2nd rounders and not Tate?

I'd trade Tate, EG, Bruno, and Mathews for a 1st rounder - any first rounder.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Why are there talks of KMJ already peaking? Dude is 21.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've always said you may end up using guys like KJ to trade for better players in a trade, but until then, I'd keep him. Even if someone were to offer me a lower-lottery pick, I'd be hesitant to trade him for it. There are KJ's in various drafts, but it's a crapshoot getting one. If possible, I only use him in a trade to get an established, good player. Otherwise, I'm not sure what the point is unless it's to just make room on the roster or something.

Corrosion, ArtV and xaos like this.