1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets seeking a "very good first-rounder" for KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2022.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds to me like under that scenario, Houston is getting the end the stick

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Considering Stone picked him, I wouldn't know how to take it

Joe Rocket likes this.
  3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What first round pick could Mil give us anyway?

23 we own
    24 swap to NO
    25 to NY or NO
    26 swap to NO
    27 to NO

So a 28 swap or 29 pick is our best option from the Bucks. Basically we would be taking on dud salaries so they get Crowder?

You could convince me Jordan Nwora is some compensation. I don't rate Beauchamp.
    Nwora and four 2nds plus a first from the Suns (plus Saric) for EGO and KJ? Nwora couldn't be traded until 15 Jan though
    Perhaps the Suns get the four 2nds and send us another first? Would it be worth their while to pay two firsts to get hold of young talent in KJ and a proven vet in EGO?

Hui, Deckard and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  4. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

This would be dumb .. he needs to be part of our core . Get rid of Tate and Gordon instead

Hui, slothy420, PolarBear and 10 others like this.
  5. xaos

xaos Member

Could be a completely dumb idea, but I wonder if Hornets would be willing to do Mark Williams for KMJ.

Williams has been in the G-League and has more upside than KMJ.

I like KMJ and think he has been a solid player for us. I'd prefer to keep him and look to trade Gordon/Tate, but if we are going to take a swing Williams would be a good gamble. Hornets miss Bridges a lot and Martin has a lot of similarities in Bridges game. Ball could really bring out KMJs game more than anyone on the Rockets. I doubt Hornets would just give up on Williams so fast, but I think they're also tired of losing every single year and KMJ contributes more now than having Williams in the gleague.

The upcoming draft has a few bigs projected in the top 15 that I'd like for us to take a swing at as well. That's of course in the likely event we miss out on Wemby

#45 xaos, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

It would be strange considering how well he gels with Jalen. You would also be setting the tone that a young guy can demand a trade and get what he wants. It would be dumb.

7. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

IMO Kenyon Sr. is still pushing for a trade to get his son to a contender, and that's the main reason KJ's name is still in these trade talks.

Why else would he be on the block? He has great chemistry with everyone on the team, his style of play fits the team, and he's getting consistent minutes and generally looks very happy playing for us right now.

Hui, red5rocket, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

"Rockets still looking for a good GM' If he trades KMJ for picks.

9. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Trading KMJ so soon is a mistake. I feel Martin and Eason fit better with this core than Tate at the 3. I'm assuming Tate will start once EG and KMJ are moved, but I don't think he meshes well with Green and KPJ on offense.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I've seen enough that I'm not taking offers for Martin at this point.

11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

You have time to move KJ, he has the second highest +/- on the team of players who actually play, I would not move him for the sake of moving him, especially when Tate is injured and KJ is getting minutes and seems happier now. If you want to move guys for the roster spots you can do that w giving away EG, Mathews, Nix, etc. Unless you have an actual PG available, then you hold on to him until the right deal comes along. I would even move Tate over him at this point if you can.

12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

A top 20 pick doesnt really do a whole lot, we have plenty of those types of picks coming and already on the roster. At some point you need to start consolidating, and I am certain they are aware of this as well. I wish there was another Haliburton type trade available, but there is only one Sacramento basketball team.

Y2JT likes this.
  13. Mattician

Mattician Member

Martin should NOT be traded.

14. MystikArkitect

Not seeing any scenario outside of getting a high first round pick that we part with KMJ right now. His age plus the chemistry he's shown with Jalen, Sengun and KPj...I mean the only player I'd trade him for is a high upside PG to replace KPj but even then there's 3 guys in the draft that do that right now that we get if we don't land Wemby. So why trade someone that would help our future PG out immensely? If we did get Wemby then I would want to package KMJ for a PG that will help everyone out and we can move KPj to the bench or just release him.

Issue is that there aren't really too many intriguing PG's out there to trade for or that anyone would want to trade. Everyone's either firmly entrenched or they're an aging has-been.

15. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

“Rockets have mid first round pick offers for Oladipo”

“At least two teams offered first round pick for Gordon”

Little Bit, Ankara1923 and Bo6 like this.
  16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'd rather snag a bag of chips than 4 late 2nd rounders.

17. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

We need long, switchable guys in the front court. I would trade KJ, Gordon, and the Bucks' pick for Kuzma (+ Rui Hachimura) as filler. We could start Jabari and Kuzma at the 3/4 with Tari backing both of them up.

evo8lover likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yeah, I want to keep Kenyon also (no team will meet that demand)

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t see the Rockets trading KJ for anything less than late lotto/mid-1st rounder. I do see the rockets taking a couple 2nd rounders for EG assuming that’s what’s on the table from a team he wants to play for.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What's Williams been doing? I was intrigued by the guy during the draft, but would it be like trading a potential rotation player in KJ for a "I don't know what" in Williams?

Aruba77 likes this.