1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets seeking a "very good first-rounder" for KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2022.

1. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

No one is offering or will offer a lotto pick for KJ though. He’s also better than any late first round pick. It’s a weird situation in which he’s too good to trade for a late first but not good enough to get a lotto pick. Rather just keep him.

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Oh I feel the same which is why you don't trade him. If someone wants to over pay. Be my guest.

I just think he is someone you should invest some real PT in right now.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Stone over played his hand with Gordon. He needs to move him for a #1 if he can, if not he needs to cut his loses and get future #2's.

At this point Gordon doesn't want to be on the Rockets and there are players that need his minutes.

As for Martin, I have always been a fan of his upside. I pissed some people off saying that I felt that Martin could sneaky end up being a better player than KPJ. I don't think he is a better player than KPJ, but I am not surprised he is starting to play well.

Having said that, I would see what Lionel Hollins thinks of his long term potential on the defensive end (someone that actually can coach) and take that into account. At the end of the day, he is still a role player though that isn't a great shooter or creator. He thrives where he can hustle and use his nasty vertical to full effect. If I can get a draft pick in the late lottery to the 15-18 range, I would do that deal personally.

4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Fat balls Stone!

don grahamleone likes this.
  5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2-3 late firsts and expirings for KMJ & EG. (I'd like to see a pick at the back end of the lottery)

To me, that's a helluva return for a mid secound rounder. KMJ's ceiling is an average starter IMO. Sell now. This is ammo for later & frees up the 3 for Tari.

Also, some of y'all underestimate how good EG will look as a rotation player on a contender... a veteran team,.. defined role..in the flow with a precision offense. HIs efficiency will shoot up... knocking it down from deep. Dude can still play D with a team like that too. We've seen many contenders over the years give up late first rounders for guys like him. (see Cornbread Maxwell :eek:)

#25 Plowman, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    joshuaao, don grahamleone and Y2JT like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Sounds like Rockets have a very reasonable position.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I would keep KMJ unless we get an offer we cannot refuse.

EG, just trade him already.

cml750, slothy420, Little Bit and 2 others like this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

so many wasted playing time on gordon and installing bad habits in our young and they wont get not even a 1st for him?

same happened with theis house etc...
    tank culture is the worst
    the self feeding circle of suck
    you ruin the games and young players, in order to trade the vets so they get PT only when its their turn to get traded...

Ankara1923 likes this.
  9. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

That depends completely on the return and how KMJ develops. He’s limited by size for his position so a future pick in the teens is probably a fair return at this point.

10. conquistador#11

The only way I'm ok with this is if KM senior is hellbent on not wanting an extension. At that point what can you do but trade.

cml750 and VoR like this.
  11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

And I'm seeking to date one of them Rockets power dancers with a bad back and arthritis..

AroundTheWorld and Bo6 like this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He should be starting over Gordon

groovemachine likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not weird at all.

Valuable role players that are cheap and better than normal role players are hard to come by.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you could keep her from running and prancing away.

15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

4 2nds is so disrespectful lmaooo

Stone sitting on his fat ass all this time just for this? He better get a 1st at least. This is sorry

napalm06 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. a time to chill

Let’s keep KJ Martin and trade Gordon and Tate instead

17. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I’d rather trade Tate than KJ. When Tate was on the floor the spacing was messed up

Ankara1923 likes this.
  18. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

will be sad to see him leave but it is what it is

19. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

2nd round picks aren’t really assets. Unless your goal is to win the gleague. Don’t want to believe this but then I remember Stones track record in mid season trades. He lost on Tucker, Dipo, Theiss… we barely got compensated for Wood. I’m prepare to accept the worst case scenario of being the loser in what inevitable trade falls through

20. MystikArkitect

"The potential hold up is the Rockets are unwilling to take literal trash for a promising young player."