1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets seeking a "very good first-rounder" for KJ Martin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 12, 2022.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Meh, this is a little hindsight-centric. KMJ has improved substantially this year. Tate’s extension was for pennies, and KPJ has been a far more productive before this season. I’d be fine extending KMJ at this point. Money talks.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Im giving KMJ 4 years 60 million with a mutual option on the 4th year. Still lets him get another sack o cash.

If he doesn’t want to sign, I’m trying to trade him the Milwaukee pick and whatever we can get from Gordon for a pick thats in the 10 to 12 range.

furyn likes this.
  3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Yeah, just reading tea leaves on my part here but I'm assuming he feels like he's not only outperformed his contract, he's one of the top 15 players of his draft class and wants to be paid like it. Which would put him around 5-7m instead of 1.5m/yr.

Further still, he's performed comparably with Jae'sean Tate, who just inked his own 6-7m/yr deal. I would bet he'd be content if the Rockets paid him that 6-7 plus some back pay.

If I were the Rockets GM and dead set on keeping Martin I'd offer 4y/44m, last year player option, incentives around winning the dunk contest, shooting above league average from 3 and making an all-defense team.

If I wasn't dead set on keeping him (I'm not) I'd see what the market holds for him and take it. Eason is who I'm pinning future hopes on at the 3 spot. I'm not going to hold on to a disgruntled player until he's broken and worth nothing to the league (see: Eric Gordon).

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2 mid to late first rounders...out the door.

5. TheBeastSystem

kjm has ideal contract to renegotiate next season...like tate was this season. starting nov 30 can renegotiate his final season and extend him and take advantage of the 60% salary extension rule with our cap space next season. or we trade him as part of ego deal for 2 nice future first rounders in 24 and 26.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/4165190/2023/02/08/rockets-trade-deadline/

• The Rockets are aware of interest in forward K.J. Martin but as stated in the 2.0 scenarios, Houston isn’t interested in trading him for a second-round pick. Houston is happy with Martin’s development and the athletic 22-year-old has recently turned a corner in the new year, continuing to add to his repertoire. A few teams poked around second-year wing Josh Christopher, team and league sources said, but nothing came of it at the time. After seemingly being out of Silas’ rotation for the entirety of the season, Christopher has come on strong in the month of February, averaging 13 points in 19 minutes per game.

7. Good Times

Good Times Member

KMJ has made the SF position our brightest spot this year in terms out outplaying the competition. SF and C are the only two positions we have consistently been able to out match most opponents and it is because of the growth from KMJ and Sengun. I see KMJ as a valuable piece to this core and should only be traded if it is to net a key player. Getting a late 1st round draft pick with the hopes of finding another KMJ is risky and unnecessary unless we believe KMJ doesn’t fit with this group of players.

jim1961, Corrosion and csnerd84 like this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think we could have SOLID SF position with JAbari and KJMartin
    Sengun locked down the PF Position

KPJ and Green are filling those spots but . . .
    Center is the major issue

Rocket River

maj21 likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Sengun isn't considered a center??

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would prefer him at PF . . . Unless we can get a BIG PF
    I would like to see Sengun play along side of Bruno to see how that would work

KPJ Green Bari Sengun and Bruno
    I think would be an interesting line up to check on

Rocket River

peleincubus likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

two frontcourt players who can't spread the floor will always be a disaster. that will never work. Even having 2 players period regardless of position in the same lineup who can't spread the floor exposes teams in the modern era

maj21 likes this.
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Rockets aren't going to get a really good first for KJ. People don't give up really good firsts unless it's a star.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Who are the NON FLOOR Spreaders?
    Sengun and Bruno?

I think if We could do it with PJ Tucker and Capela on the floor at the same time
    We can do it with Bruno and Sengun

Rocket River

14. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

KMJ has really improved. Im really pushing to have him sign an extension over the next couple days.

15. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Would you want to be here? I don’t think any player looks at Houston and says, I want to be there with this ineptitude from top to bottom.

lakersuck2 likes this.
  16. YOLO

YOLO Member

huh? PJ who is a floor spacer and was one of the top corner 3 pt shooters in the league is the same as 2 non floor spacers. that logic makes no sense

Neither Bruno or Sengun are on PJ's level of shooting. stop it

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  17. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

PJ is not on PJ's level of shooting. These days you really can't have a guy like him who scores hardly anything in a starting 5

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

I think Green wants to be here. Gerald Green.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Tucker shot 42% on corner 3s .... Sengun & Bruno shoot 30%.