1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Salary Cap Situation

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, May 4, 2013.

1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Now that our season is officially over, it's time to look ahead to the upcoming offseason.

Assuming that the Rockets decline Garcia's option, waive Delfino, Brooks, Ohlbrecht and Anderson and keep Parsons, Beverley and Smith, the Rockets would have approximately 16,215,633 in cap room.

However, the Rockets would probably gain extra cap room as the salary cap would likely be increased in July.

[​IMG]

2. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the new CBA reduce the max salary?

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

CBA can't reduce someone's salary. Dwight and CP3 were already on max deals.

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

6 White 1,719,480

9 Parsons 926,500
    :eek::eek:

:mad::mad:

5. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

With a wave of the wand, these players can all magically disappear from our salary cap next season.

http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=181

"But if you’ve studied the league you know that Rockets GM Daryl Morey likes to keep his options open. He has done exactly that heading into this summer, by utilizing team options as non-guaranteed salary as follows:

Francisco Garcia: Team option ($6.4 million)
    James Anderson: Non-guaranteed
    Patrick Beverley: Non-guaranteed
    Aaron Brooks: Non-guaranteed
    Carlos Delfino: Non-guaranteed
    Tim Ohlbrecht: Non-guaranteed
    Chandler Parsons: Partially guaranteed ($600,000)
    Greg Smith: Non-guaranteed

Which would leave us with $41,789,422 in salaries.

Projected Salary Cap $70.3m
    http://samcelt.forumotion.net/t4174-2013-2014-nba-salary-cap-luxury-tax

Max DH = 20.5m
    Max CP3 = 18.4m

Have fun...

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Actually, a lot of posters here have been saying the salary cap will only rise from 58 to 60m range next season

BUT

this article based on Stern's recent announcement of a 20% rise in league revenues projects the cap to be $70.3m

http://samcelt.forumotion.net/t4174-2013-2014-nba-salary-cap-luxury-tax

Does anyone know how caps are calculated? Is a 20% ($5bn) rise in league revenues mean the cap will rise 20%?

I think this is a really important question to understand what range the cap will be next season as to what trade moves we can make.

7. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I assume you can find a number of teams with cap space that would take Lin, Asik, and Robinson off your hands for a total of $20,275,732 in cap space on top of the $16,215,633 we would get waiving the usual suspects, for a total of $36,491,365. That's still not enough to max out Howard and Paul, but...

If you could require any team trading for Asik to take back White's contract as well, then you would have enough space to get within $1M of maxing out both guys. At that point, you'd just be asking each of them to take $500K less - and I believe the Miami guys gave up more than that to play together.

Some would call it a pipe dream, but it's interesting to me that Howard, Paul, and Harden all got bounced in the first round. They could either spend the next several years fighting in each other in the middle of the pack, or they could hook up to play the Heat in the finals each year.

8. trugoy

trugoy Member

Your Howard and Chris Paul MAX salaries are wrong.

What you have is the salaries that the Lakers and Clippers can pay them. Which is MORE than what the Rockets can pay them.

The exact salaries that the Rockets can pay them are dependent on what the new salary cap is in 2013-2014, but it will definitely be less than what the Lakers and Clippers can pay.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

anyone else want to puke when looking at lins contract. yuck

10. ILoveTheRockets

no. but i puke when I see the rockets are paying 400k for air.

11. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Lin only has 2 more years on his deal. It's not an awful contract by any means. I bet you anything that Utah would take him right now if we were just giving him away (which we might if it means CP3).

12. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

First, that is only a projection. It will not necessarily go up by that much. Second, it is definitely NOT that simple of a calculation. It is in the cba, and it is a complicated formula based on many, many things. I don't think the cap is going up to $70M...there hasn't been a $10M+ jump in one yr in nba history. Doubt it happens now.

The cap going above $60M though is quite reasonable. Up to ~$65M and I would not be downright shocked.

13. pwnyxpress

This is actually incorrect. CP3 can make ~$18.6M and Dwight $20.4M, regardless of what the cap is. This is because, while normally max salary contracts are based off of number of yrs you are in the league => % of the salary cap (ex: 30% or 35%), a player's MAX contract can also never be LESS than 105% of what they made in their prior year.

So regardless of where the salary cap will be, CP3 and Dwight must make at least 105% of what they are making this season. LAL and LAC can pay them even more by offering both a 5th yr and their bird rights % increases.

14. pwnyxpress

For more clarity through confusion, salary cap is based on BRI, and BRI is a mess of things:

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q12

So many unknown variables, no idea where next yr's cap will be yet, much less that it does a simple 20% jump to $70M...

15. pwnyxpress

I've posted this elsewhere, but I will quickly summarize it here:

We can sign both CP3 and D12 if a bunch of things fall our way. The salary cap must rise to above $60M, which is a reasonable assumption. We then have to move Lin/TRob/Asik for free. Harder said than done, but doable. Depending on how high the cap has been raised, we might have to trade either DMo or TJones for two players that cost the same (i.e., two ~$750k contracts). Using our MLE and PHX 2nd round pick, we'd then be able to hit our minimum 12 man roster while under a slightly higher salary cap. We would also be deep enough to not be considered 'weak' on the bench.

Again, plenty of variables and assumptions, but all within the realm of possibility. D12 and CP3 willing to take slightly less money could help a lot too. Moving Asik for a first round pick is VERY easy to do, so maybe throwing White's contract along with it for a lower first round pick (like having a bad contract) could work as well to clear up space. We're flexible. Exciting to see what happens.