1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Salaries, Cap Health, Roster Moves

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by forchette49, May 7, 2007.

1. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Rafer Alston, Juwan Howard, and a 1st rounder
    for
    Luke Ridnour and Chris Wilcox

I checked this trade and it works. You think Seattle would bite???

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They would bite their lip to keep from laughing if that's what you are asking.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Probably not, but I like the thought process. You never know. The main problem is that Seattle doesn't get out from their contracts any quicker, which would be the normal reason you'd incentivize a taem to trade you "better" players for worse.

Wilcox and Howard make the same and over the same # of years (2), but Wilcox is better. Same with Ridnour and Alston (3 years)

Now, if the trade worked and Wilcox and Rindour both had 4 years left on their contracts, and Howard/Alston both had 2, then there'd be more of a possibility.

4. JayZ750

I think we are really very close. That said, in reality, there are so few ways to truely get better without trading Yao, T-Mac, Shane (if those moves even get you better), that stuff that has been proposed is all that's really available.

I will disagree on Walton, though. IMO, he is a backup SF who can get big minutes. He filled his role nicely in LA, but played too much. I don't really think he can play PF consistently, either.

To the extent that LA really has no one to replace him with (Evans, Radmonovich could both get more playing time, but nothign too special), I guess the Lakers might overpay to keep him or keep from trading him.

But whereas a Matt Barnes would be a real nice addition for us, he'd be a great addition for the Lakers, and if I'm them, I pursue Barnes hard, and then woudl accept a trade like a Alston for a re-signed Walton (with or without our #1 pick), because what's there to lose? Lakers might also pursue Grant Hill or Gerald Wallace types, though I'd expect Wallace to certainly get an above-MLE deal, imo.

OTOH, I am kind of nervous that the Lakers might also strongly pursue Mo Williams.

I could see the Lakers and Rockets pursuing similiar players this offseason. The Rockets have more of a PF need than the Lakers, but there just aren't any of those to pursue, and Lakers need a PG and SF and depth. Rockets need a PG, PF and depth.

5. JayZ750

Third post in a row, but easier to respond this way.

This trade is nice. Very nice. I'm guessing it's not enough to entice Philly. They;d be trading away 25% of their playing time (on a mpg basis) from last season in return for very little.

On the other hand, they'd be setting themselves up VERY VERY nicely to be way under the cap next year, and to suck again.

This table is probably too old and wrong, but in 08, free agents may include:

Baron Davis
    Ben Gordon
    Elton Brand
    Emeka Okafor
    Gilbert Arenas
    Jermaine O'Neal
    Shawn Marion
    Tim Duncan

If they could land one of those, and have another top lotto pick. Granted, the 08 draft isn't nearly as top-heavy, but Philyy already struck out on their dreams of getting in the very top of this draft, so why not try for an OJ Mayo type next year? At this time last year, there was really only 1 super-dominant type player for this years draft and Durant changed that.

So Philly does it because they (1) get way under the cap, (2) line themselves for another high draft pick in 2008, (3) get much younger by 08, and (4) pick up extra draft picks...

For the draft picks, I disagree. For the trade you proposed, I'd not only throw in this year's pick (deep draft or not, the 26th pick isn't getting you an upgrade from Head/Howard to Korver/Dalembert), I'd throw in a future first as well (say 2009).

6. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

I agree with you, but it doesn't matter to Morey and Co. what we think unfortunately...

7. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

One problem I see is the way Tmac has to dominate the ball to be most effective. It really makes the desire to have a penetrating point guard some what redundant if TMac is going to have the ball for most of every possesion anyway. So the question is:

Do we not have a penetrating point guard because TMac fills that role 90% of the time?

or

Does TMac fill that role because we don't have a penetrating point guard?

It seemed to me that during Mike James time here when playing with TMac the first option was true, which would explain why Jeff is fine with Rafer being a spot up shooter who has low turn overs.

Of course if that trend continues perhaps the Rockets should consider just moving TMac to the PG position and finding a quality 2 guard that can defend the quicker opposing points, create his own shot, and has a high 3 pt accuracy. Too bad Stackhouse isnt a few years younger.

8. RedRowdy111

Luther Head for Delonte West

or

Sign Chucky Atkins
    Of course buy out Sura's contract
    Sign either Joe Smith or PJ Brown

9. forchette49

I think it's the nature of the team that T-Mac has become more of a point-forward, also the nature of T-Mac slowing down as he ages...

With his quickness/athleticism on the decline, he makes up for it with his bball IQ, JVG just figures if the Rockets are going down, why not let T-Mac be the one on the team to do it. We need more of a scoring PG, someone who could, ala Mo Williams or Chucky Atkins, take some of the burden off Yao and T-Mac (considering how much he likes to defer to his teamates lately).

Even Clutch started a post about everything coming down to a "trade kicker" on Mike James, the point of it being the nessecity of said PG. Hate him or love him, MJ would have made the difference to this playoff squad as a healthy Juwan Howard would have made to our playoff squad two years removed, and thats a round 2 appearance.

In all fairness to the MJ situation however, I believe MJ was just LOOKING for a way to say, "this is what you get" and stick it to us. And he found it, by requring the "trade kicker" at the last possible minute of negotiations... (Minny shouldn't have even been in the running anyways, hey, let's get another combo guard!) Let's face it, if trade kickers were common place in the NBA, one could argue the the above statement. But you could actually count the number of "trade kicker" players in the NBA on one hand, and they sure as hec don't have MLE contracts...

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My understanding is that James could waive the kicker if he wanted a particular trade. Not trying to derail about James!

11. RedRowdy111

Mike Miller from Grizzlies would be nice too.

12. dream2franchise

Indulge me : : :

Lakers Recieve: Samuel Dalembert
    76ers Receive: Juwan Howard and Bob Sura
    Rockets Receive: Lamar Odom

Lakers receive a center who can defend and rebound and score at a high efficiency. This also frees the Lakers to trade Bynum for an established PG or PF talent.

Philly sheds the 5 years off the books and replaces it with three years at best.

They may even get lucky with Sura and be able to buyout his contract at a cheaper price. I can't help but think this would've been a much better idea in the previous offseason with Oden or Durant as targets. Mo Cheeks seems intent to not let this team lose.

Houston receives the only PF that makes sense for this team. Athletic, long, great rebounder, ball handler and shooter.

Thoughts?

13. forchette49

I'd love Odom on this team, but how does it effect luxury tax land a few seasons down the road? Would we have a bench, not that we did this season anyways...

14. dream2franchise

Our bench wouldn't be totally different, maybe even improved. Chuck hayes would be the 6th man, and Alston (should the MLE be used on a PG) would also be moved to the bench...

15. 2rings

2rings Member

If JVG doesn't return, this migth actually be likely. The question is, would we want this? Given our cap constraints, it may be our best option to augment the 1 - insert GULP here...

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Some offseason roster move thoughts (by position):

POINT GUARD:

My "designated pipedream scenario" is for Mike Bibby to realize that he's made enough money on his current near-max contract, opt out and come be a major component to a title contender in Houston. I've always loved him as a player. He's a decent (not spectacular) defender, a terrific shooter and a playmaker who can drive the lane and set up his teammates. The full MLE is nothing to scoff at; and it wouldn't be the first time a star-caliber player took a big pay cut to play for a contender. Still, this probably doesn't happen, even if the Rockets hire Rick Adelman to take JVG's place.

As far as more realistic free agents go, my first choice for a PG would be Steve Blake. He is a good pure point guard, can shoot a decent percentage and is a good defender. A combo of Blake and Alston would be good enough for the Rockets to contend, as both are good role players.

Jannero Pargo was another interesting option. I have no idea why this guy doesn't draw more interest around the league. He can score and defend. I would have no problem if the Rockets got him, especially if they can get him for the LLE.

A Juwan-for-Mike James trade is always a possibility. While I enjoyed his stint with the Rockets, there is just something unsettling about taking James back at this point.

In the draft, I wouldn't mind getting either Acie Law or Jarvaris Crittenton, but I doubt either will be there at #26. Another possibility is Gabe Pruitt from USC. Good size (6'4") and athletic.

I'm all for giving Spanoulis a shot. I absolutely love seeing him play. However, I just think he's too turnover prone. Then again, the Rockets have been spoiled by the superior ball-handling ability of Rafer Alston. No, seriously.

SHOOTING GUARD / SMALL FORWARD:

Anyone looking to get Desmond Mason needs to pause, take a breath, and then realize that this team already has Kirk Snyder for 20 cents on the dollar. No way the team goes for Mason or any other player of that ilk.

Mo Pete would be a nice fit, but I just don't see where the minutes would be unless Luther Head is traded. I personally think most of the SG/SF minutes will go to McGrady and Battier, with Head and (hopefully) Snyder getting the remaining time at those positions.

POWER FORWARD / CENTER:

Of course, re-sign Chuck Hayes.

If PJ Brown wants to take the LLE, I'd love to have him and his defense and rebounding.

In the draft, I'd like to get Tiago Splitter. He's played professionally for several years, so he's played against top competition for a while. Good rebounder (6'11") and runs the floor well. Also, this pick gives the Rockets the luxury of having him play in Europe for another year or two if the Rockets don't see him as a rotation player next season.

Deke wants to come back for one more year? Sure, why not?

17. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Anybody that is wanting to get Mason should just look at his jump shot. He makes Kirk Snyder look like Glen Rice.

18. HTownTmac1

HTownTmac1 Member

All we need is a Point Guard who is fearless and can drive and slash towards the basket... and hit a good Fg %

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Is Ronny Turiaf a free agent? Most news articles are reporting him as FA but on the ESPN free agent list he's marked as "Limited Salary Protection" which is more or less a team option.

Turiaf's an energy guy, moves well, can score, has quickness and most importantly is a shotblocker. A great guy to put next to Yao and would work well with Hayes in running the 4 by comittee especially if JHo's contract is unmovable.

The other more expensive and safer FA option is Travis Outlaw.

20. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Rockets Offseason

1) Sign Steve Francis after his buyout from the Knicks maybe like LLE. It is bound to happen as many NY papers have already reported. Francis would be really nice fit since we need a PG who can penerate and take his man off the dribble. We need another scorer and someone to take the load off T-Mac.

2) Sign Jamaal Magloire for MLE - Ok now this guy has been almost forgotten in the NBA but the Rockets aren't going to get anything better than that. He is one of those guys stuck on a losing team (New Orleans and Portland) for so long that he has lost interest in playing. Magloire has the size and finshing ability that we truly lack in the post. Put him in the paint with Yao and he becomes very useful for doing the dirty work rebounding, shot blocking and putbacks. Personally I think he is sort of like another Marcus Camby looking for a chance with a winning team to show how good he can be. I say we take a risk on this guy cause we have very few other options.