1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Rotation?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dcfma, Dec 14, 2002.

1. dcfma

dcfma Member

For some unfortunate reason, it looks like Rudy has reduced the Rockets' team to a 8-man rotation:

Starters:
    Francis, Mobley, Rice, Thomas, Ming

Bench:
    Norris, Griffin, Cato

I have a couple of problems with this rotation (Which I have had through our recent wins and losses):

1) Small Ball has returned with Moochie, Cuttino, and Steve.
    Rudy has decided to make Cuttino the backup small forward to Glen Rice. Why is this? He has both Terrence Morris and Juaquin Hawkins that he can play as a backup forward. A reason might be that he feels neither player is an offensive weapon. However, as a backup small forward, either of these players would be on the court during times when their is plenty of other offensive fire power (E.g. Normally at least one of the Big Three of Steve, Cuttino, or Ming are on the court at all times).

2) Minutes.
    Has everyone noticed that due to the rotation shrinkage, Rudy has decided only to let Steve and Cuttino have rest during the 2nd quarter? (Moochie comes in and plays with Steve and Cuttino and then Steve or Cat goes to the bench and then the next person.)

Problem: I feel Steve and Cuttino are becoming tired during the second half. I feel that's the main reason they are making mistakes like missing the free throws that Steve missed late in regulation in Memphis. There is no reason for this. Moochie or Juaquin Hawkins can spell Steve and Cat for a small spurt near the end of the 3rd quarter or early in the fourth. This will help keep them more refreshed for the end of the games.

3) Maurice Taylor

Problem: I feel Maurice has too much overall talent to be CNP-Coach's Decision like this. Isn't there a way that Maurice and Eddie could play at the same time w/ Eddie at small forward and Maurice at power forward (Eddie plays like a small forward on offense anyway with the way he is normally parked at the three point line.)

I personally always have a feeling something bad is going to happen everytime Kenny Thomas receives the ball at the top of the key. If Maurice could turn things around, I feel he would be the best starter at power forward.

What does everyone think?

2. goophers

goophers Member

Small ball must die....quickly....

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I HATE SMALL BALL !!

Rudy has been making the same FRICKEN mistake for 3 years.

Small ball DOES NOT WORK !!!

If they go small....GO BIG !!!

DaDakota

4. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Speaking of rotation changes, I've been pretty quiet about Rice, but honestly, I think Rox would be better served if they game more minutes to EG and KT to start us off.

I like Rice, but all too often, he seems to fade come the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th (if he plays) quarters. His production is great in the frist quarter but then experiences exponential decay. With a guy who clearly has range, how come he's not used in special 4th quarter situations when the game is on the line? When a three pointer is needed? The tradeoff is one if - veteran guy gets minutes but productivity dwindles vs. young guy who gets more minutes and productivity rises through the duration of the game.

I'm convinced that both KT and EG would benefit from more minutes. PERIOD. It doesn't matter where they play, just get them more minutes to build a rhythm. With such great guards, why not play a double 4 set? Both KT and EG would benefit from the extended minutes, to warm up, and get moving. And between those two and Rice, I see Rice as the person most able to "get hot" off the bench. Young guys need more time to get into rhythm and that's why I think KT and EG deserve more minutes.

Rice, IMO, is like that old radio that lasts for 11 minutes... MAX, and then you have to let it rest 24 hours to cool down. If you're gonna use the 11 minutes, why not use it during the most precious of times?

;) ;) ;)

theSAGE

5. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

What's the damn deal with MT? Why isn't this guy playing at all? Is he hurt? He needs to get some PT and come back. We need his talent... :confused:

6. Shooter1583

Shooter1583 Member

I agree 100%. Rudy has not had a consistent rotation all season, and I feel that that will come back to bite the Rockets. How can plays play at their best when they don't know how many minutes they're going to get from game to game?

Plus, Mo T definitely should be playing. He is an offensive weapn, and that is desparately needed at this point as the Rockets are struggling to find an offensive identity. Before Rudy even thinks of putting Morris or Hawkins in, he needs to give Mo T the PT.

7. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Trouble is, MoT's head is in the clouds.
    He needs to get his act together.

JMHO.

8. UTmo

UTmo Member

is it the small ball or just that crappy ass moochie norris that is making the rockets suck?
    me thinks it is norris; any team that has norris on the floor sucks. if anyone has his heads in the clouds its norris. he sucks so badly....

9. dcfma

dcfma Member

The one positive yesterday was there was not much small ball. Although I don't having Terrence Morris as a power forward during streches might constitute a new version of 'small ball.'