1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Robbed - Clutch Headline on the Front Page

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Apr 29, 2019.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

I don't even think the rules are screwed up. When shooters were blatantly kicking their legs out in front just to draw the foul, that WAS screwed up, and they changed it (remember K Mart?). When you could intentionally put your foot in the way of where the shooter wasn't going to land, that was screwed up, and they changed it.

What's screwed up about it now, other than actually calling it per the rule book?

As a point of reference...recall that intentionally swinging your arms through a defender's just to draw a foul is perfectly legit.

Deckard likes this.
  2. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

FWIW I like the closeout rule. I was speaking more generally about rip-throughs, arm tugging, etc.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m speechless after last nights performance by the zebras

Deckard and hakeem94 like this.
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah if Morey and Cuban are chatting about the refs, its REAL BAD

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Give them Hell Daryl

6. marky :)

marky :) Member

I posted it in another thread but this belongs here. It isn't a flop when you're trying to protect yourself. Defender needs to give a shooter space to land. Not even being guarded the shooters in this years 3point contest all move forward when shooting.

Reggie Miller: He surprisingly doesn't jump forward. Same with Bird so I'll give you him.

Ray Allen: Jumps forward while shooting. (0:21 seconds)

Steph Curry: Not much momentum forward but he still jumps forward slightly. (0:37 seconds)

Kevin Durant: Not as much forward momentum but his right foot does go forward. (0:17 seconds)

Deckard and hakeem94 like this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

CP3 has been doing that thru out his career, and more recently, since K Leonard incident, the Beard has followed suit

8. Agent94

Agent94 Member

You can run under a shooter when he attempts a dunk or layup .. legit?

Of course not. Verticallity is the same thing on a drive to the basket or jump shot. The offensive player has the advantage. The defender has to be set, he can't move under a defender during a shot. I've seen a lot of talking heads make this stupid comment this morning - James Harden is jumping forward, how else do you defend him? Well, you don't jump into him after he is in a shooting motion. Its a clear foul and always has been a foul.

They even added an extra wrinkle that even if you don't touch a player on a shot, you must give him a landing spot. This is an area of emphasis. Every official knows this. Not only were they Warriors not giving Harden a landing spot, they were actually jumping into him and making contact, which has always been a foul.

I usually don't complain about officiating, but this is just slimy. It goes beyond bad. It goes beyond one sided. The officials clearly decided not to call a type of foul that has been called all year and is a point of emphasis. It should not have been missed once. It was missed 4 time in one half, and the officials apparently admitted that they missed the calls at half time. It was then missed at least two more times in the second half.

I just don't know what to say. I'm at a loss for words how badly this game was called. NBA officials will maybe miss this call one out of ten times. It seems deliberate. I'm angry a day later. And that was just one type of call, I can name 5 other calls off the top of my head that were equally bad.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. I’m at a loss to explain why some of the longtime posters here are essentially attacking Harden for playing within the rules. He didn’t write them and the rules are there for a reason. As has been pointed out several times, when the defender puts himself under a jump shooter, often deliberately (which Klay Thompson did several times yesterday to Harden), it’s dangerous and can seriously injure the offensive player. It has happened before, and to a superstar like Kawhi Leonard during the playoffs, essentially ending not only Kawhi’s season, but ending any hope San Antonio had of advancing in the playoffs. It is why the rule was made! The claim being made by some that Harden is throwing out his legs when he’s shooting? After having Thompson deliberately move under him (look at the tape) multiple times with no foul being called, anyone with a brain would. Why? He’s trying to protect himself from being injured. It’s obvious.

10. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

not as bad as you think homer. GS is getting some home cooking calls, harden just need to suck it up and make sure he doesnt land forward or spread hie legs open after the shots.

11. mastan

mastan Member

This is utter rubbish, only mentioned about the Green non call during last 2 minutes but forgot to mention that Rockets had 3 other calls went against them during last 2 minutes. Yes Rockets were robbed and Harden cannot make shots when he gets fouled so much, actually nobody can make decent percentage shots when fouled.

Deckard likes this.
  12. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Cuttino goes to the mat hard for the Rox.
    Big dude insists it is fact that Silver told the refs "We don't want this ugly Rockets basketball."

mastan and HoustonTexas like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Jeez, even the 2MR lists only three incorrect calls... and surprise, all for favored GSW...

https://official.nba.com/l2m/L2MReport.html?gameId=0041800221

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It can go both ways. But if the defender isn't going straight up and down (The GS defenders weren't) and is going at the shooter (The GS defenders were) the foul should be on the defender whether or not Harden's legs go out. If the defender goes straight up and down and Harden kicks his leg out, I will be fine with the foul going against Harden.

Deckard likes this.
  15. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Both Curry and Klay were playing like crap...so the officials probably let them know they can foul with immunity...

16. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Last year western final, ref takes away eighteen points. Otherwise, Houston was last year champion

17. Fantasma Negro

Its unfortunate that the mental weakness of this team is spreading to its fanbase

18. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

You can say make your shots all you want, but I'd imagine it's hard to concentrate on the shot when you're worried about not immediately rolling an ankle.

Klay and Draymond wait for the shooter to go up, then when they're in the air stick a leg under them. GS has gotten away with doing this and moving screens for years. I don't expect it to change.

sirbaihu and Deckard like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

“Homer?” Seriously? Did you actually watch the game? Harden is supposed to make a difficult shot that most of the players in this league struggle to make, and you are talking nonsense about “making sure he doesn't land forward,” and “Spread his legs open after the shots?” Are you mad? Mad as in nutty as a fruitcake? What on earth are you babbling about? You talk like Harden is standing at the charity stripe and he’s going to hop up in the air, spread his legs, and do a pirouette for the entertainment of the crowd. That is not what he is attempting to do.

I don’t say this lightly, but it must be said by someone. Are you even a fan of the Rockets? With all due respect.

20. dischead

dischead Member

The refs, media and non rockets fans HATE Harden. He will never get the respect he deserves.