1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach deal with Scola - 5 years, $47 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Are you in agreement with the contract (5 years, $47M) the Rockets gave Luis Scola?

1. YES

934 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. NO

102 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

Even comparing it to the deal Boozer got, 5 years 80 mil, this is definitely a steal. With the last year being a team option. Scola's production compares to Boozers IMO, especially after Landry was traded.

2. petechillcutt

petechillcutt Member

Great deal. If you're gonna pay someone 9 mil, atleast give it to a guy whos gonna lay it on the floor for you every night and a guy whos NEVER been injured. And as for being 30, Scola doesn't rely on athleticism AT ALL...he'll be a productive starter/long minute man with tons of heart until he retires.

3. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Scola deserves it. It's not my money anyway. I don't mind overpaying Moochie Norris for a 10 years 1 billion deal as long as it brings championships.

4. Seth

Seth Member

I have no doubt Scola deserved this.

But i think he touched Morey´s heart. Pretty hard to get that deal from DM in any other way.

Les and Morey must have seen more than the player, more than his age, and rather let´s you know than whatever we do Scola will be an integral part of it, at least from the doors inside.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I think Scola gets the contract simply because he deserves it.

I don't buy 'touching Morey's heart' theory. We all know how hard Morey went after Bosh/Stoudemire. If he was successful, Scola wouldn't be a rocket next season.

6. Seth

Seth Member

Forgive me, i don´t think Scola would have got this deal from any other team in the NBA.

Barring a Euro contract, it basically equals to a 4.2 million euro a year contract.
    While it is possible from some teams (Real Madrid, Phanathinaikos, Caja Laboral -mainly because Splitter left-) to offer that, i was quite sure that an Euro offer won´t be over 3 million Euros which equals an NBA contract starting at 6.5 million dollars.

Anyways, i think he deserves it.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is well-known that Daryl Morey has no heart. There are other parts him available for touching, however.

8. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I disagree with you. I guess the amount of his contract should be similar to that another team wanted to do S&T him. I believe some teams talked to the rockets about S&T Scola.

9. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I think Scola is mildly overpaid in this deal for his market value, but he literally gives 100% every night, and combined with his skillset, I think he deserve it. Also, it's a nice gesture from DM and Les that Rockets are generous to players who they really like. It helps restore Houston's image in players mind. I am 100% for this deal.

10. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Great deal! He is worth every cent.

11. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

12. lostfans

lostfans Member

too expensive!!!

13. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

:cool:

14. abrocketsfan

abrocketsfan Contributing Member

The Rockets actually negotiated with Scola and made an offer, which is what they did for Chuck Hayes some time back ...

Contrast that with Landry and Lowry where they waited to see what the market held ...

I think the Rockets felt that Scola could benefit from this offseason's supply demand discrepency after the top three FAs went to a single team and left teams under the cap with few options

15. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I think Scola deserved it....he's a HUGE part of this team and he does things that win games. I seen superstars in this league that probably got paid more than him and they aint' that great.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oddly enough, I diagree with you about what Scola might have been offered by an NBA team, but largely agree with you on the kind of offers he would have received from a team in Europe. Scola is an unusual cat, at least for the NBA. He's fiercely loyal to his team, his teammates, and the city he plays for, yet he's a consummate pro who understands the nature of the business. Luis knew he was underpaid the last three years. He's too smart not to realize that, regardless of what his agent was telling him. In my opinion, this got down to respect. He respects the Rockets and the organization, and he expected respect in return by getting an offer reflective of his value. Had Morey and Les not done that, Scola would have accepted an offer at a lower contract number in Europe, where he knew he still had a host of fans, fans who love him, and where he would get that respect he so values.

That's my opinion, anyway.

1 person likes this.
  17. thesaint

thesaint Member

One of the hardest working athlete and plays with heart. He deserves this contract.

18. GMNot

GMNot Member

Great to hear! Yes, he deserves it... and I do believe, if Fisher (or any other player) decides to "set a pick" on Luis next season... there'll be a few players in Rockets uniforms willing to return the favor. :p

... now if someone can just light a fire under Hill, and bulk him up a bit. ;)

19. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

I love this deal.

20. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am not crazy about the contracts for Lowry and Scola, but I think all NBA contracts are ridiculous. Nobody should get as much as these guys do for playing basketball. However, Scola was a must sign; the guy was arguably the best and most consistent player on the team last season. Lowry's shooting worries me, I might have let him go. I think he is overrated by local fans. I like his aggressive defense and his "bull dog" drives to the basket, but at this level a guard should have a consistent jump shot.