1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach deal with Scola - 5 years, $47 million

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Jul 15, 2010.

?

Are you in agreement with the contract (5 years, $47M) the Rockets gave Luis Scola?

1. YES

934 vote(s)
    90.2%
  2. NO

102 vote(s)
    9.8%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Oh noes, some swarthy Mexicans almost stole Scola from us!

2. Ashes

Ashes Member

If only we were mechanical, like cars.

I'm glad we brought Scola back though, I just really hope he can still play at a high level in three or four years. Last thing we need is 9+ million on the books doing nothing...again.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yep, those are the numbers I get assuming max raises of 10.5%.

Heard the final year was partially guaranteed. I'm interested to find out how much that is. But from our initial numbers, it appears to be a 4-year deal worth about $36M, with a partial guarantee for the fifth year at $_____.

With a contract that size, you would think that the guaranteed portion is at least $2-3M or so. We'll just have to wait and see.

4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Good for scola. The unmatchable presence from overseas made morey jump. Thats why i say sometimes its best to be early than late. I'm willing to bet if the rockets had given scola an offer earlier, he wouldve been cheaper.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Outstanding!

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

And the evidence upon which your bet is based on is....?

7. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

whoever said no, please slap yaself :p
    great move, a no brainer.. if Verajao got 50 then why not Scola? Luis is a productive starter and Anderson isnt so duh.. with us whiffing on our previous 2 attempts (Bosh and Chandler) it was important to not strikeout by letting Scola go, noone else out there is better

8. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

47 mil...Not really that surprised after the lowry deal. I really believe we should feed scola the ball more once he's rollin with this team we this team that scary for everybody we play..

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Regardless, only partially guaranteeing the contract means it really is only a 4 year contract. And if Scola is no longer great by then, we can use him as an almost TPE.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Exactly. For some reason I do not expect him to decline much, though. He just has this warrior mentality and toughness.

11. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

Please excuse my terrible (charles barkley voice) typo above...

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

More than I was hoping for, but not a terrible deal.

13. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

man! this is great news! i have a feeling brad miller might get paid aswell if he comes to the rox.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Great signing! This was soooo important. I am so glad we are keeping this guy. He gets better and better every year. He gives you all you want. We are going to win big because of this in the next 1-3 years. We will do it.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lack of a market from 2 sides. Instead of the wet dream being chased and before gooden,darko and guys like that got deals and then the unmatchable threat from europe made morey jump. He's never negotiated, just matched on rfa's, but the extra money and the outside the nba prseeure made him move and maybe pay more than he was expecting.

16. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

If you think about it, the Rockets signed two great free agents. and our former players or not we did better than a lot of other teams.

17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That's what I was thinking. Still not quite the asset that Erick Dampier's $13.1M completely NON-guaranteed year. But an $11.03M cap figure that is only partially guaranteed for $2-3M would be a pretty damn good asset. To put in perspective what could be expected, next summer, Vince Carter's $18.3M cap number is only $4M guaranteed.

We'll just have to see if the partial guarantee is that low. Oh, yeah, and if the new CBA would even allow a team like the Rockets to use it.

18. albuster

albuster Member

Great! The whole team is back, especially the no. 1 warrior. Welcome back big guy and give us some more exciting blood and guts battles in the years to come.

19. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Dec. 15th.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Yes you are correct. Thanks for pointing that out.

The beauty about the Partial Guarantee is how it could be a MASSIVE trade chip after the 4th year in the off-season. It would just be like Dampier's contract this season and how it almost fetched Al Jefferson for nothing. But of course, by then I think our championship window might be closed so we might even just cut Luis and let him go into Free Agency.

In any fashion, it will be interesting to watch.