1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach buyout agreement with John Wall

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 27, 2022.

1. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DeBeards, Nook, Drift Monkey and 3 others like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

(I am admittedly a Harden hater) but you mean the 2nd best player in Rockets history?

It was Harden who bought the Rockets and dismantled a 65-win team over 3 short years? Oh, that was Tilman?
    It was Harden that decided to cut costs? Oh, that was Tilman?
    It was Harden who got in a public pissing match over the coach’s contract? Oh, that was Tilman?
    It was Harden who ran Morey, Thaddeus, and Mike off? Oh, that was Tilman?
    You right, Harden wanted and was begging for the likes of Michael Carter-Williams, Marquese Chriss, James Ennis, Brandon Knight

[​IMG]

Tilman and James share blame for Westbrook. Anyone blaming just Tilman or just James is being disingenuous.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

THIS IS A DAY WE SHALL ALWAYS REMEMBER

HALLELUJAH
    HALLELUJAH

I'll always remember the time when:
    * John Wall said "we need players who want to be here"
    * John Wall made a gratuitous amount of money
    * Tilman Fertitta doubled down on trading Paul and picks for Westbrook by trading Westbrook for Wall

#83 napalm06, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

I don't understand the contract aspects of the game, so I really don't know how a "buyout" works. The Rockets still owe him 40 million? Wow, that doesn't seem doable. Why don't they just release him so some other team can pick up his contract?

5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

They did essentially except no team in their right mind is going to pick up the contract.

solid, JumpMan, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I look forward to KPJ taking Wall to school.... so long as Wall is still healthy by the time the Rockets play the Clippers

PatBev likes this.
  7. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

His contract is guaranteed, so to release him they would have to pay him the full $47 million he is owed. The buyout agreement basically allows the team to pay him $40 million to get out of his contract.

solid, BigMaloe, Drift Monkey and 4 others like this.
  8. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Why would he get loud? There is no trade that would be possible, literally nobody wanted him, so he collected $120M from us for not doing any work. The only time players get loud in the media is if there is a destination for them, no one gets bought out of their contract with multiple years left at this level of salary. I doubt he wanted to even play for a team that was not competitive either, whats the point in risking injury for his next contract. I don't get why Wall is applauded as some sort of professional hero when all he did is collect checks, if he actually came back and lived up to his contract then that would be a different story, but the reality is that he was so bad that it was better that he didnt play at all on a bad team.

Iknako and Hank McDowell like this.
  9. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

So glad I don't have to see his ass on the bench acting as if he gave a ****ing **** about our youth movement and rebuild.

**** that ******* and glad he is someone else's problem.

BallSoHarden, Drift Monkey and D-rock like this.
  10. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

Finally we have no more Klutch sports players on this team.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

ehhhh.... i'll take the roster spot....

as usual, that 'huge expiring contract' that some continuously insist is the linchpin to pulling off a trade for some disgruntled star was just a pipe dream...

personally, i think we handled the situation all wrong... shoulda plugged him into the starting lineup for a month when he wanted to return... run him for a month leading up to the trade deadline - serving him up like WB in OKC and try to extract something from the Clips or whoever... nobody bites, you mothball him after the trade deadline and turn it over to the kids... that how ida run anyway... lol

#91 kjayp, Jun 27, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    D-rock and Haymitch like this.
  12. PatBev

PatBev Member

He’s a god damn hero

don grahamleone and BallSoHarden like this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

He did his time without complaining on the bench, so I appreciate that. I don't think Westbrook would have done that for us. May JWall do well wherever he goes as long as it's not the Rockets or the Nets.

14. KingSamJack

KingSamJack Member

**** Klutch sports.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Goodbye Wall!
    Hello extra roster spot and 2023 max cap space!

Now get Gordon, Tate, and Nwaba out of here too!

BHannes2BHonest and D-rock like this.
  16. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

there’s definitely some strategic timing going on. Wise move cockblocking the Nets Kyrie situation. Or not? The clips were a contender for Kyrie’s services. There has to be some strategy behind this timing.

17. Landry's Tooth

Yes, it was Harden that forced out Paul and demanded Westbrook... POOF goes Morey's leverage.

If great players meant great team assembly then Lebron is what?

It's so sad to see you cling to your Harden... he was great for us, we got out at the perfect time.

That's called good management....

Btw, what costs were cut? They have had a top 10 payroll every year under TF.

Stop whining and join reality. We are in a much better place now than we would be had we held onto Paul, Harden, and Tucker...

Zen Tabak likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It pushes the Lakers to make a counter move

19. Landry's Tooth

I wouldn't say pipe dream. There aren't many players making 35+. The odds of one of them wanting to be moved and them not being old as hell was unlikely but not impossible.

Anthony Davis proved it could happen... maybe 10% chance...

20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Love Gordo but he's next to go.