1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach agreement with Andrew Goudelock

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketpower2, Mar 2, 2016.

1. sinatra030

sinatra030 New Member

College of Charleston season ticket holder here. Figured I could give you some details you may not know. Most of you probably know he played for the Lakers for a year and then got cut. It was an unfortunate situation for him, considering he played really well during an 11 game stretch when he actually got playing time because of Steve Blakes minor injury. Shot around 44% from three and around 48% all together and averaged around 10-11 points. Blake came back and Goudelock went back to getting playing time randomly every four games or so, and it's pretty hard to be consistent when you do not know when you're going to play. Oh, and another pretty big note. MIKE BROWN was his coach, possibly one of the worst coaches in recent memory. His excuse for not playing Goudelock as much anymore was , "well, it's not like he was coming off the bench and averaging 15 points a game for us" (as a 2nd round drafted rookie)...

https://www.facebook.com/timesfreepress/videos/535547666588/

^ Above is a clip of Goudelock going up against Curry in the Southern Conference tournament. Around the 10 second mark, Goudelock tries crossing up Curry and gets the ball stolen, but chases him down and pins his shot off the backboard.

https://twitter.com/stephencurry30/status/124217744412520448

^ Curry being asked a question on Twitter about who the toughest guy he had to guard in the SoCon was.

Goudelock was the leading scorer in Georgia his senior year of high school and only got two Division 1 offers, so he obviously has a pretty big chip on his shoulder. Him and Curry are the best shooters I've seen recently at the college level. (go ahead and call me a homer, just speaking the truth) He's an excellent shooter/scoer, not much more, although he has got better defensively over the years and is unselfish as well. He's more around 6'1/6'2 then 6'3. If he gets playing time for your Rockets, he's easily one of the best shooters in the NBA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUnn21vh_Ww

^ 3 point contest after his senior season at CofC. Go to the 5:40 mark to watch his semifinal performance. (he won the competition btw)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1smyOfRXIxM

^ He has just as much range as Curry, and did it on a regular basis his last season with CofC.

http://www.cofcsports.com/fls/14800/mbasketball/goudelock/pageflip.html?DB_OEM_ID=14800

^ some in game clips from his senior season vs Maryland, Tennessee, and North Carolina (lighting up all of them)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Fh57XWUcs

^ sets record for most 3's in a game in Europe (yes, i know... it's Europe, but still)

That's about all I have for you, and this will probably be the only post I make. Hope it helps.

1 person likes this.
  2. Drift Monkey

Drift Monkey Member

Why are there no videos of Goudelock passing?

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

because he has a thing like Rube did in Major League. Every time Goldilocks tries to pass the basketball it veers off into the crowd and concusses a fan.

4. alethios

alethios Member

No, that would be Harden.

5. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

I thought Pat was the Defense guy.

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

he's called mini-mamba for a reason.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

is that the Harden averaging 8 assists per game or the Harden that averages 5 turnovers? Just want to be sure I'm the same agenda page as you.

8. alethios

alethios Member

It's the Harden that does both. There's no agenda. I'm speaking of the pass that went into the stands a few games back.

9. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

How come no one is asking what he averaged in China? If he is averaging less than 20pts/game in China, then it might not bode well for us. At least Beasley was averaging 30pts/game in China which could mean 10pts/game for us.

10. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

Did you bother to read any of the thread? Guess not.

11. basketballholic

He's Canaan good on defense.

In other words, if McHale were still coach them Morey would have just wasted more of Les' money.

Which brings me to this point. McHale wasn't a great coach but he did have principles. He wouldn't let guys just goof off on the defensive end and he was so strict he wouldn't trade off a little defense for offense. Hence we got rid of Canaan because McHale simply wasn't going to play him unless everybody else went down.

Obviously JBB is just dangling out there in coaching no - man's land with the non-existence of any semblance of defense, while he takes Morey's suggestions and struggles to implement them. And now Morey feeds him a couple more scorers.

This makes me think that perhaps Morey sees the defense somewhat like I see it. That being that Hardens turnovers and guys missing 3-balls which lead to long rebounds and runouts are the worst things for our defense. Even worse than James turning his head and getting burnt by the back door cut and Brewer totally losing his man because he's chasing the dribble around in circles.

So we'll see. Goudelock can definitely shoot and score. He's definitely got upper level NBA offensive skills. Maybe we'll start winning games by 140-135.

12. globecoast

globecoast Member

Ask ole Steph Curry who the best player he played against in College was. He has said many times it was Goudelock, Kobe loved him, Mike Brown's system didn't, the Rockets style is exactly what he needs to thrive. You heard it here first, Houston will love this kid.

13. globecoast

globecoast Member

Ask ole Steph Curry who the best player he played against in College was and he has said time and time again it was Goudelock. Kobe loved him, Mike Browns system didn't. The Rockets system plays to his strengths. Mark my words he is going to have an impact that will surprise alot of people. He broke the Euro league all time record for 3's in a game last season I believe. Guy knows how to make buckets.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

I think Russ Smith would have been the better signing. Does not shoot the 3 as good as Goudelock but is better at all other facets on offense, his speed is crazy. Russ Smith is Allen Iverson light. And a tenacious defender especially for a guy so slight (170-180 lbs).

15. basketballholic

I've always liked Russ Smith. Man is a winner. He should be in an NBA rotation.

Goudelock is the better shooter by far. But I agree with you, Russ better than him in every other aspect of the game except finishing. Russ, despite his diminutive stature, is the better on-ball defender.

But.......Goudelock took that non-guaranteed deal that allows us to carry him through the summer and use him as trade fodder salary matching. I seriously doubt Russ would have been willing to do that. That's why I asked the question a while back in the Beasley thread about how many players Morey went through before he found these two guys willing to sign that contact with the late guarantee date. I suspect neither Beasley nor Goudelock were the first option.

16. Fantasma Negro

Preseason
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c0TlAmI-Loc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Dat runner

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Guard Andrew Goudelock says he completed his <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Rockets?src=hash">#Rockets</a> physical. He hasn't signed b/c he hasn't been cleared by FIBA <a href="https://t.co/69OD5LhD5N">pic.twitter.com/69OD5LhD5N</a></p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/705824311957856256">March 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I'm thinking he's going to be like Corey Joseph of Toronto with a better 3 point stroke. Both guys are crafty not overly quick but no how to get shots off and have good use of the floater.

If he can be that guy that's a very solid back up guard for us.

I hope him a Beasley can be solid depth for next year on the cheap.

If they both can be atleast rotaion level players for us going foward that is huge in shaping are team and also what we do in free agency even if we don't land KD.

20. Balldon'tlie

Balldon'tlie Member

hold up, this dude was RELEASED by a Chinese basketball club and WE picked him up? :confused::confused:

Yup, it's time for Morey to GTFOH!