1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets reach agreement to sign Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Dec 23, 2018.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If Rivers plays well in this system, he gives us more flexibility to be able trade EG/Knight and picks for a 3/4 that can help us defend the paint and get more rebounds. I’m just saying that getting this guy for nothing keeps potential options open to eventually upgrade our front court. We have to be patient at this point and think ahead. Better moves are coming....... I hope.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

no sir all is not counted in ,
    1 other players take midrange when they are tired (so that tiredness doesn't affect your shot or affects it less), of course i am talking in general here of course every player sometimes take bad 3 but we do it systematically and on a larger scale, in rockets system 3 pt shot become the escapegoat,
    2 other teams players take 3 in rhythm more often because midrange helps them to get into rhythm and it also helps them get more open shots and confuses the defensive players so they dont guard them well enough
    3 plus players in other systems get to touch the ball more and it makes all the difference in the world
    4 besides 7 variables i cited there are dozen of other variables no stats account for nor it ever could dream to account for

3. Asian Sensation

I feel Dumber not Smarter after reading this post.

What in dafuq is “a Young G League a Young Talent a Real Chance.” ?

HP3 likes this.
  4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

People really like this move? Damn man we SUCK.

5. lkrockets

lkrockets Member

I agree that we have a surprisingly poor set of shooters, but - as a statistical matter - simply pointing to percentages aggregated by player doesn't prove that point at all. The reason is that you would ALSO expect players a team committed to shooting more three-point shots to have a lower percentage, because they will take "bad" threes that are still more efficient than "good" twos. Harden is an extremely good (but not quite elite) three-point shooter, although the number of "hard" threes he takes drags his percentage down to 36.5. If he takes a portfolio of shots closer to what Klay Thompson takes, he's probably a 40-41 three-point percent shooter. Of course not everyone on the team has lower percentages explained by that same set of conditions - which is why I agree that we have a surprisingly poor set of shooters. I also believe this whole state of affairs "feels" different if Ego could hit the broad side of a barn this season.

seeingred and jcf like this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

This is a MEH move for me. Like many others I assume Morey got the OK from CP3 and Beard before doing this. If they are on board then I will give the guy a chance. It is not like we can't cut him if he becomes a locker-room cancer. He can put the ball in the hoop(except from the FT line). He can be streaky but he is better than anyone else on the roster as a backup PG. CP3 is fragile so even when he comes back from this injury he can go down again at any moment. We need a capable backup and Rivers can fit that description if he is not causing chemistry problems in the locker-room.

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Oh yea, for sure, the same defensive scouting report, but generally very different outcomes as Austin can actually heat up from outside and torch you while MCW can't and doesn't. I thought you were trying to imply that Austin has gotten opportunities that MCW hasn't, didn't understand, my bad.

Austin has hit about 38% 3PT on 5 attempts for 2 seasons before this one, so he will actually make you guard him. MCW has never done anything close and hasn't taken more than 1.4 3PA since his second season. Now, Austin might have regressed, but if not, giving him 3's will end up hurting teams in games while the same won't happen with MCW.

Also Austin is a far superior isolation scorer. There's a reason Austin's TS% from his three seasons prior is a below average 53.2%, but much better than MCW. The other thing Austin does well is that he doesn't turn it over too much, even if he handles it a decent amount. Career 1.2 tpg, last season as a Clipper with more PG usage, 1.8 tpg and 2.2 to 1 A/T ratio.

If you go from 15-16 and include this season too:

Rivers:
    4.1 3PA
    36.0% 3PT
    2.6 apg
    1.4 tpg
    103 Ortg
    52.8% TS

Carter-Williams best season (15-16):
    1.2 3PA
    27.3% 3PT
    6.1 apg
    3.3 tpg
    96 Ortg
    49.7% TS

If we think of all the things that Rockets are looking for in complimentary guys, 3PT shooting, low turnovers, as efficient as possible, Rivers is definitely bringing more of those skills to the table.

HP3 likes this.
  8. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Who should he have signed instead? It's not like he had a lot of options.

BaselineFade and dawesome like this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am a bit surprised by the Rivers signing with the history with Chris Paul etc. Not a fan of Rivers the "personality." However, Rivers the "player" and with his skillset, this is something right now the Rockets need.

He fits the mold of a guard in MDA's offense. Is at least an average defender and his young. He is a LEGIT bench rotation player. As @Codman would say #DecreaseTheDrop. Even when Paul comes back Rivers can fill in at any of the guard wing positions.

The COST of this move makes it a no brainer. You get a legit bench rotation guy without giving up a First Round Pick attached to Knight. This allows you to not have to make a desperation move with that pick. You can be more choosey as we move closer to the trade deadline.

If CP and that locker room are ok with the move, than so am I.

No way was this team going to survive the next few weeks without help. BK wasn't going to get it done. Rockets have to play at around .500 ball and tread water until CP comes back. Rivers gives them a chance to do that.

Good job Morey.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really glad @Codman chimed in on this move. It will be interesting to monitor.

I wouldn't be surprised if Morey came to CP and said "look, we can get AR without giving up an asset to help us now stay above water. Or we can make a move with an important asset like a pick but that will cap our ability to make a big move later. You ok with the low cost AR move?" And CP probably understood the dynamics of that and was ok with it.

In terms of chemistry, we'll see. But if things go south he could be cut easily. But I bet things go well and he helps the team tread water. And if that is the case, winning cures a lot of ills.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

How do you know your season is a complete disaster?

Your team willfully signs Austin Rivers. Wake me up when it's draft night.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LMAO, this photo treatment never gets old. Bravo!

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

i laughed

Of course, same could be said about Lebron signing the three stooges — Rajon Lance JaVele

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

No one is gonna mistake Lebron for a GM anytime soon. Geez.

15. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

trade austin rivers back to his dad in exchange for luc mah bootay once cp3 returns from injury

BamBam, Artie_Fufkin and Aruba77 like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vivi likes this.
  17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Try using heavy duty egg nog

justtxyank, Aruba77 and Artie_Fufkin like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the same goes for you

Asian Sensation likes this.