1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Rockets reach agreement to sign Austin Rivers

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BMoney, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Should be Houston Bayous, no?

BigShasta likes this.
  2. H-Town Rockets Guy

I think he will be a much needed help since CP3 will be out for 3 weeks. He can be a solid back up and boost our bench. Hey, atleast he is an NBA player not just a bench warmer. He played well with Clippers last season. Playing along Harden, he will benefit.

3. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

I think you're saying he's an *******, but I can't tell.

ilovehtownbb, D-rock and Will like this.
  4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Nice signing given the circumstance. We need his tenacity and surprising scoring.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good find. Like many here, I don't care for Austin's arrogance. However, the team needs help and Austin has vastly improved his game from when he was drafted. A stint with the Rockets, his nemesis, may actually be just what he needs to re-establish his game this year. Lord knows we need some more fire on this team and while I really wanted Jimmy, perhaps like the Rolling Stones said, "You get what you need..." I guess we'll see soon. Go Rockets!

7. riko

riko Member

He plays hard and has a mean streak that his daddy also had as a player.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

well, this just keeps getting better and better.

hakeem94 and IvanLCPM like this.
  9. Asian Sensation

Amen.

Admit it or not we desperately needed him. I’m glad Harden/CP3 were cool with the signing. Like you said he’s our ******* now so we should all support him as his success will ultimately be our success.

Personal feelings/past history aside, I always felt he could game. He’s only 27 but has plenty of experience and came up big in key playoff games before. Playmaker, scorer, above average handles, decent defender, adds much needed depth, will contribute right away and make an immediate impact.

Not only did we not give up any assets but his cap hit is only gonna be like $930K or less. It doesn’t get any better than that. I’m glad he struggled in WAS so he could get traded to PHX (dumbest team ever). Not only could Phoenix have used Rivers on the court but he also had trade value if he were packaged correctly. He was going to be an $8M expiring contract for them this summer.

I’m sure most if not all of my points above were already well covered/mentioned since I’m late but I’ll just finish by saying we should prob be *gasp* wait for it.... Grateful to Rivers. Yes. Really. He didn’t have to be here. He CHOSE to be here. He could’ve easily been like “Houston? Hell no. **** CP3”.

10. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

11. dmoneybangbang

If he can help save Harden some minutes then sweet.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

Nailed it.

13. RoyalGuard

RoyalGuard Member

Melos gone....Don't know, don't care...

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Hope This GM move by CP pans out. Melo did not.

15. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

We are now pinning hopes on a player waived by the Sun to save our season.

Let that sink in for a moment. The 8-26 Phoenix Sun.

PuzzledFan and daywalker02 like this.
  16. kiwirocketsfan

I’m fine with this. He’s an experienced healthy NBA point guard.

And he’s an A-hole, I’m ok with him being our A-hole

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Not in love with this move bc of his history with cp3 & our past games against him BUT if he can help us win games I'm ok with it.

18. Asian Sensation

Rivers could’ve helped the Suns on the court but his true value and the reason why (everyone aside from you and their GM apparently) he was acquired was because he’s an expiring contract (AKA asset especially for a rebuilding team).

The Suns chose to not trade Rivers ($8M expiring contract this summer) before the deadline.

The Suns couldn’t event wait till the summer to keep said $8M expiring contract.

The Suns paid 33 year old Ariza $15M for “veteran experience”. Yet they cut 27 year old Rivers (did I mention $8M expiring?) cause they thought he was “too old” for their plans and wanted to be younger.

They just set themselves back even further with that inexplicable move. Like seriously who does **** like that? Yup. The 8-26 Phoenix Suns.

I’m not even made though. We got a nice player for basically no money thanks to the Suns wanting to pay him to play and help us.

hakeem94, joshuaao and Tfor3 like this.
  19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Yes the Suns waived him? I don’t think most fans think he’s saving our season.

The Suns waived him because they are tanking. It’s the most common reason for contract buyouts on losing teams. Otherwise if a team is in denial about their championship hopes the player will often force a buyout or trade to a contender.

He’s a strong backup guard and I’m sure other teams showed interest in signing him. I don’t personally like him but he’s good enough to be in most teams rotations.

RocketToVegas likes this.
  20. psaman17

psaman17 Member

I'm actually less concerned about his beef with our stars or His personality. Those things go away once you get together in the lockerroom. They're grown ass men.

I'm more skeptical about his oncourt fit with the team. James Hardens backcourt mate absolutely needs to be able to shoot to provide spacing for our offence to flow. Ft% is IMO the best indicator of someoness actual shooting prowess. Rivers is a career 60ish% ft shooter. He shooting mid 50s this year. That's god awful. Can he space the court? Will the opposing team respect his shot? If he can't he's just another MCW.

hakeem94 likes this.