1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets re-sign Beverley to 4-Year $25M Deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 3, 2015.

1. OpenLayup-Why3?

bargain I suppose. One of the most expensive backup PGs, but at least he has potential to be great at defense again.

2. spark06

spark06 Member

If we trade Ariza or Brewer then this might make some sense. But only in that scenario.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

wing players are getting paid more than point guards right now. it's a matter of supply and demand. additionally, brewer probably wasn't willing to give us as much a discount as bev was because this is his last payday in the league.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think it's slightly overpaid for his worth but the PG FA pool pickings were slim, and pressure from other teams interested in him raised his price tag.

To be worth the contract, Bev has to stay healthy and play with the same defense from the previous year. He needs to improve his shooting which was abysmal this year. He needs to learn how to pass the ball into the post and stop the lazy passes on the perimeter.

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Morey is building something special. Bev/Harden/Ariza/DMo/Howard can be a DOMINANT starting 5. Such a great balance of offense and defense. Add in Brewer, potentially Smoove and Stuckey, from the bench and you've got a VERY deep team STILL WITH MULTIPLE ASSETS. We are built to win in 2016 and beyond.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Cap flexibility ain't scored no points last I checked.

7. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Sergio made this happened.

8. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Even I'm not mad at this. We still need a real point guard though.

9. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

For those that think this is an overpay....

Next year the cap will be 89m and the year after 108m. Possibly higher.

He will be 7% and then 5% of the cap.

11. cebu

cebu Member

well, not bad though.

12. spark06

spark06 Member

Wing players getting paid more is a matter of CIRCUMSTANCE. It is by no means the norm. Team by team case. Chris Paul and James Harden ain't getting paid less than Paul Pierce and Trevor Ariza, I'll tell you that. I understand business but when the supply is so low that you over value the actual product (or player), you put yourself in a tough situation. Thats the kind of crap that will have you signing Aaron Baynes for 3 yrs/20 million. No supply of centers, so please convince me how that was a good signing because of lack of supply and high demand.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i give up, not worth the time :grin:

14. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

How so? This is a great deal with the way the cap is increasing.

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This turn of events seems like it should drive up the cost to acquire players on relatively bargain contracts like Lowry, Lawson, Collison, etc.

16. Joemambo

Joemambo Member

This is just great. The Rockets resign two of the worst shooters in the NBA for $14 million total.

I think they could have offered that to one quality player instead of two mega scrubs.

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Wow these guys are sacrificing a lot of money to play on a contender. Shows that good vets will take a discount to play with harden and Howard in Houston. Cmon LMA we got our boys back we just need you and it's go time ...... Championships!!!!!

18. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

All we need is a playmaking/scoring guard to come off the bench and some shooters

19. omgTHEpotential

6.5M for Aron Baynes in this current market is ok. I mean, when you have DeMarre Carroll making 15M/year, it's ok to pay 6M for a competent backup C. I don't think that's an overpay.

20. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It was either sign them or get nobody. If we had 14 mil to spend LMA would already have committed. Smh. When the cap goes up these contracts are gonna look so cheap, think of it this way Wes Mathews got offered 16 mil a season from sac. We're getting two kep rotations pieces for 2 mil left.