1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets Radio LEGEND and ICON Gene Peterson passes away at 83

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 24, 2024 at 12:57 PM.

1. Astros713

Astros713 Member

RIP Grew up listening to him call all those games.

2. Rockets34Legend

3. PeppermintCandy

4. ClutchCityReturns

It says everything that when I would attend Rockets games as a kid, I actually looked forward to the drive home. Because that's when I got to hear how Gene and Jim called that game's best moments. Always gave me goosebumps.

RIP Gene

5. Left Block Problem 74

To this day in random daily activities, I'll throw out a raspy "YEEEUUUSSSS!" or "How Sweet It I!". Such a classic iconic voice/style that he had, I just love the enthusiasm he in particular had. To me that's what made his style so enjoyable cause he was as invested as we were.

Cool thing for me is seeing my young son fall in love with The Rockets because he watches old clips or the documentaries I have of the Rockets and he'll here a clip of Gene saying that "YEEUSSSSSSS" and go dunk on his little goal and scream and flex. Thank you Gene, R.I.P.

6. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Stutter stepping on up to Jesus. Rest in Paradise.

raining threes likes this.
  7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

We've lost a Houston Rockets legend.

As Craig Ackerman, who followed Gene as the radio "Voice of the Rockets," put it so well, “First and foremost, he should be in the Hall of Fame. I’m frankly surprised that he and Jim (Foley, Peterson’s longtime broadcast partner) are not at this point,” Ackerman said. “Gene had the quintessential voice for broadcasting, deep, baritone, everything you put in a textbook, he checked all those boxes.

“I grew up listening to Jim and Gene. They were part of my life as a fan growing up in the city. A lot of my memories are associated with those two. Working with the Rockets as an intern, after listening to those guys and being fans of their work, getting to know them professionally and personally and to learn from them is something I’ll always cherish.

“He will definitely be missed. He was the voice of the Rockets, to me. He’ll always be voice of the Rockets to me.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...e-peterson-houston-radio-dies-83-19594157.php

Rest in peace, Gene. You've certainly earned it.

8. Bolajuwon

Bolajuwon Member

9. Bolajuwon

Bolajuwon Member

10. Bolajuwon

Bolajuwon Member

11. Bolajuwon

Bolajuwon Member

12. cujo

cujo Member

Houston Legend…have always missed his “How sweet it is!”

13. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

The man has been calling out Rockets games as long as I can remember. RIP Legend!

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I posted this year's ago....but what a great announcer.

DD

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

"Backing it in, backing it in, backing it in, turning, faking, turning, faking, FOUL, no call, WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT, REF??"

Legend doesn't even begin to describe Geno if you're a long time Rockets fan.

Some of my greatest memories in my life are driving home from Rockets games with my dad and listening to Geno's post game interviews.

Fans used to stay late to watch them. They were 15 minutes after the game and maybe 10 minutes long, not these little 30-second interviews right after the game like today.

Whoever he interviewed would come back out to the floor after he had already gone into the locker room. And of course every interview would end with his iconic catchphrase HOW SWEET IT IS!!!

RIP Legend

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wish he never passed, RIP legend

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

They should make a statue for him.

18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This one stings, God rest his soul.

True legend who has been missed for many years.

raining threes and persian hoopa like this.
  19. HoustonWest

HoustonWest Member

Absolutely.

Reading the news of his passing felt like a death in the family in some ways. Watching games while listening to Gene and Jim (with the TV audio muted and radio synced up) with my father was part of my childhood that brings great memories.

I was in and out of the hospital and my father reached out to Gene and Jim, and I was lucky enough to get the chance to meet and chat with them before a game in one of Olajuwon's last couple of years. Just super friendly and gracious, along with Calvin Murphy (and Jason Collier, RIP).

I still have a hand-written letter from them.

There's no voice like Gene's.

20. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

This man WAS Rockets basketball for me during the 90s and early 2000s, until I was able to have a TV in my room, to watch the games.

He could make it so you felt as though you were there in the arena watching, through his clear commentary and descriptions. Some funny moments too, which were so casual yet hilarious. Just the perfect voice for Rockets basketball. As a young kid, he was oftentimes the voice I fell asleep to, when I couldn't make it the end for those "how sweet it is" or "jumbo jet left to play". RIP, legend. How sweet it is, indeed.

Astrodome and Little Bit like this.